PDA

View Full Version : dpx files and nuke

ruddiger52
06-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I have some 10 bit dpx files that i am working with in nuke. They were converted from .r3d files. What is the proper colospace setup for these files. By default the read node is set to cineon and the workspace is set to sRGB. The only thing that looks normal is if i set the read node to linear and the workspace to none. Is this incorrect? Is this a linear workflow?

beaker
07-01-2010, 03:03 AM
It all depends what the person converting them did. R3d can be written to 6+ different colorspaces.

Pongoloid!
07-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Like Deke said it depends on how they were encoded. They should be cineon but sometimes people give them to us in sRGB. Just do what you can to make it work.

ruddiger52
07-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah I guess whatever works. Is there a way to tell what colorspace they are through meta data or something

Pongoloid!
07-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't think it says in the metadata. You just have to eyeball it. The different colorspaces look different so it shouldn't be too hard to tell.

Aneks
07-05-2010, 05:00 PM
The only thing that looks normal is if i set the read node to linear and the workspace to none. Is this incorrect? Is this a linear workflow?

nope this is applying no colour management. Setting a read to linear on import will not convert from the incoming colour space. So to turning viewer LUT to non. If this 'looks right' on your sRGB monitor then chances are the file is sRGB.

If you do not have a calibrated output LUT then you will want to leave the viewer set to sRGB AND convert the incoming files from their colourspace (most likely sRGB) into linear by correctly identifying their colour space as sRGB....... but why not just ask the person who eported the files what they did ?

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2010, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.