PDA

View Full Version : rendering with wireframe on geom

vallaha
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
what attributes do i need to click on to render with a wireframe on geometry in maya 2010?

m-u-r-p-h-y
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
There is no such button.

But you have several options to achieve that.

Hardware render of your geometry in wireframe, Vector render, Countour Render in Mental Ray, custom shader and lot of others . . .

Galakgorr
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
use mental ray as your renderer.

on the object's shading group, turn on "enable contour rendering" and pick a color and width.

in mental ray render globals under "features," turn on contour rendering and check on "draw around poly faces." then adjust the sampling quality, this usually needs to be pretty high to get clean lines.

vallaha
07-01-2010, 08:25 AM
cheers but the attached file shows me the options you said to use and i render and i dont get the wireframe. any more advice would be great

cheers

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Now you should turn on countours in Shading Group of your shader.

There you can find Mental Ray tab and enable Countour Rendering.

it should render fine now . . .

oglu
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
i would use the vector render... its a plugin shiped with maya... you have to load it in the plugin manager..

but there is no 64bit version for 2010....

vallaha
07-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Now you should turn on countours in Shading Group of your shader.

There you can find Mental Ray tab and enable Countour Rendering.

it should render fine now . . .

sorry but your advice doesnt work? i still get a rendered car but with no wire frame

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
You can see the attached screenshot.

just 3 clicks!

vallaha
07-02-2010, 08:31 AM
my mesh wont show up on my geom. what am i doing wrong? heres a screenshot.

this might help. my model is a car and all pieces of geom are not grouped ogether. if that helps

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
you may enabled the contours on wrong Shading group. You have a lot of objects in your scene. Do they share one material? Or each piece of geometry has its own shader? If so contours must be enabled on each Shading group.
without seeing your scene I can not help you . . .

vallaha
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
ok it rendered with wireframe but i dont think its what i want. i want to show off my model in a show reel. what kind of wireframe is used? this wierframe looks a bit naff to me. even if i thicken my frame it still looks bad

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
You have to oversample contours (in render globals contour tab) and maybe use some filtering to achieve some nice rendering of contours.
Other option is to render double or triple resolution and scale it down. It will be crisp and nice.

Also the topology is maybe too dense, but it depends on final size and purpose of the image. (you have to choose different strategy for print and for TV for example)

nice car btw ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.