PDA

View Full Version : Vray for maya - user friendly?

Libor
06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,
I dont wont to start a flame war but am I missing something?

I started to test Vray 1.5 for Maya and I have doubts its so cool as people say! Does anyone said its more user friendly than mray? For me - Nope.

I just tried sun and sky and theres no sky bg all is overexposed in VrayBuffer...so no fun at default settings at all (you get straight result in mray by default)

I am sick of troubles when render using mray but hey I cant even render my meshes smoothed (without any smoothmesh modifier just in "3" display ) The button "render viewport subdivision" prolongs the render so its useless at all.

So after that I guessed ok need to go through the manual but hey there aren t any step by step help just some technical stuff about this and that algorithm.

I don t want to just to crit I have some questions obviously :)

1) how to render smoothed polys , any approximation node there? some tesselation attributes?
2) displacement tesselation - where to control it (I have just found one in render globals)

Last but not least I really like vray capabalities (menu organisation, output etc) but Im a bit surprised how troublesome is to migrate from mray (which is really awfull from user perspective - not so sure about this now).

Thanks for any info!

L.

lazzhar
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
1) how to render smoothed polys , any approximation node there? some tesselation attributes?

Add a subdivision attribute to the model or :
Render Global > Vray > Global Options > Render Viewport Subdivision

derMarkus
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Just add an attribute called "Subdivision" (and "Subdivision and Displacement Quality" if needed) to your shape node from the attribute editor, found under "Attributes"->"Vray"->....
Or check the "Render viewport subdivision" in the render settings and lower the Default Disp. and Subd. settings from 256 to something lower in the "Settings" tab.

Cheers!

EDIT: to slow ;)

Freshfromthegrave
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
well for vray in max to get the sun/sky to expose correctly you need to use the vray physical cam :) it's actually far better than mental ray forcing you to gamma correct all your textures just to get a correctly exposed image... in vray you just make a sun/sky system and render through the physical cam and you are DONE. no bs.

Freshfromthegrave
06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
and personally i find vray to be very user friendly in comparison with mental ray. no photon intensity/exponent sillyness, no turning on caustics in 5 different locations, no 5 million different nodes to have to learn :P i'm exaggerating of course but vray is FAR easier to learn.

SreckoM
06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
@Libor
You just didn't invest enough time to get more familiar with it, that is why you have this experience. I worked with MR for several years, beta tested Vray for more than one year. Recently bought Vray, and main reason for buying was not quality of final renders (I personally like MR renders), it was workflow. With Vray things just work.

djx
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Be patient Libor. The vray forums and the docs are a good place to start looking for clues. Give it a few more days. There are some difficult but important concepts to master, like the way adaptive subdivision works and what they mean when they talk about "treating everything as a noise problem". Once you get that, everything else is very friendly.

David

Libor
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys for your replies I really appreciate it!

Well I also thanks for such sensible answers cos I was ...well a bit confused at least so thanks for not blaming me to be an idiot or so :thumbsup:

P.S. Yes, I should definetely spend some more time learning Vray (my day 1 with installed vray)

Cheers!

L.

cgbeige
06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
V-Ray sun and sky needs to be used in conjunction with a physical camera attribute added to your camera. Otherwise, the exposure will be a problem.

V-Ray isn't dead easy like Maxwell but it makes sense and shit works, unlike mental ray for Maya.

m-u-r-p-h-y
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
How about render layers stability in Vray? MR sucks as hell here . . .

cgbeige
07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
grab the V-Ray for Maya SP1 demo and try it out - it's on the chaos group site

derMarkus
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
How about render layers stability in Vray? MR sucks as hell here . . .

works with vray :)

Hamburger
07-02-2010, 03:26 AM
You can use sun + sky without physical cam. Just lower the Bright + dark multipliers or the sun multiplier to .01 or .1 or something.

It's also worthwhile learning about the different tonemappers and what they do, adaptive dmc settings (quality vs speed) and the pros and cons to all the different indirect lighting methods (again speed v quality per scene).

After that it's dead easy!

Freshfromthegrave
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
You can use sun + sky without physical cam. Just lower the Bright + dark multipliers or the sun multiplier to .01 or .1 or something.

yeah but it really isn't the same, the results from the physical cam are much more realistic you don't get the darkened sky and shadows. plus you get way more control through the f-stops and such ;)

Hamburger
07-02-2010, 09:09 AM
That's right. But if you're doing npr stuff though it's a nice option to have.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 09:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.