PDA

View Full Version : Setting up character.

DarkAlexF
06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
HOKAY so...
I am very much a beginner at this. Been doing it for... 3 days.
I do have a... well, moderately good stock character that I made based off of a VERY helpful tutorial I stumbled across. This is all not made from any model, kind of improvised.

My Model (don't make fun of legs!): http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af307/fDarkfalexf/?action=view&current=fullmodelA.jpg

First of all, if there's anything wrong, a comment would be appreciated. I made them to be low polygon and simple.

Now... I am having 2 problems. Keep in mind I plan to keep this reeeeal simple-like.
One is connecting the body parts. The arms, and the leg, and the chest, are Duplicate Specials (-1 scale, you know how it is).
Whenever I use snap to point and move one leg or arm around, it snaps points on the side I am working on, but unsnaps it on the other side.
Long story short, how could I select only one vertex, and not the duplicates vertex? Or is there a reason I shouldn't be doing that?
And after they're snapped to points... what do I do? This is where I am lost which leads to next question.

Second... well, I am working purely from tutorials. So I have NO idea where my skill level is.
It would be nice if someone could tell me what to look up and in what order to make this a fully functional model. I want to keep it being something really simple.

P.S.
I know it's unrealistic, but within a month, I want to be able to make a decent 3D model of this: http://www.donaldislost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lifesize-egyptian-anubis-sculpture-1.jpg
So any tips are appreciated as well!

Darksuit
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
some quick points.

When taking a screenshot of your model. Be sure to turn on Wireframe on Shaded
found in the menu bar of the window you are working in. Select Shading>Wireframe on Shaded This will allow people to see the edge loops and general work flow of your model.

You can merge all the pieces together by selecting the peices and then in the modeling menu set select mesh>combine This will allow you to then merge vertices together to make a seemless model. If that is what you are going for. Always Freeze Transforms and Delete History.

When I was a young lad showing off my illustrations to ventran artists they would constantly say to never give up and to go back and study anatomy. My advice here is exactly the same.
The difference is that I want you to understand why I am saying this. There are a lot of proportions that are off across the body along with muscles working agianst how you have them modeled.

For example put your arms to your sides with your palms facing the ground. Then rotate your your palms facing forward. Then Palms facing up. Pay attention to the tension in your shoulders, back and lower back. Feel what happens. Anatomy is not just understanding proportions but its also understand what muscles do when you move.

One of the things that I notice the most is a lack of different modeling techniques. Understand different ways to model. It will make creating models like the one you are going after easier in the end. Understand why you are using a given technique.

DarkAlexF
07-01-2010, 01:13 AM
some quick points.

When taking a screenshot of your model. Be sure to turn on Wireframe on Shaded
found in the menu bar of the window you are working in. Select Shading>Wireframe on Shaded This will allow people to see the edge loops and general work flow of your model.

You can merge all the pieces together by selecting the peices and then in the modeling menu set select mesh>combine This will allow you to then merge vertices together to make a seemless model. If that is what you are going for. Always Freeze Transforms and Delete History.

When I was a young lad showing off my illustrations to ventran artists they would constantly say to never give up and to go back and study anatomy. My advice here is exactly the same.
The difference is that I want you to understand why I am saying this. There are a lot of proportions that are off across the body along with muscles working agianst how you have them modeled.

For example put your arms to your sides with your palms facing the ground. Then rotate your your palms facing forward. Then Palms facing up. Pay attention to the tension in your shoulders, back and lower back. Feel what happens. Anatomy is not just understanding proportions but its also understand what muscles do when you move.

One of the things that I notice the most is a lack of different modeling techniques. Understand different ways to model. It will make creating models like the one you are going after easier in the end. Understand why you are using a given technique.

One of the major problems is learning a lot of this program simply from internet tutorials and how-to. I don't know which are reliable and which aren't... =\
For example, I saw a tutorial on youtube for making a character. It said to get a side view of your model and use several nurbs spheres and form it to shape.
I come here and find that's completely wrong.

I like your advice and it is much appreciated... but where can I find different techniques? So far I've only found one reliable tutorial.
I've SEEN the wireframe on others, but I am never quite sure how they did it.
Is there any types of names to these different techniques?

Darksuit
07-01-2010, 05:22 AM
One thing you might want to do is head on over to the modeling forums. =)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

there is a lot of good information in there. =)
you may also want to look up some tutorials on edge loops to understand those a bit better.

some basic techniques are things like

Spline and nurbs modeling
Box Modeling
Mesh creation with Bi-Rails
Polygon/Nurbs Scuplting
Each one of these techniques offers something different in how it acomplishes the end result. You may wind up using a combonation of these techniques. You may also want to look for a copy of the intro to Maya book. It will explain a number of basics to help get you going. If you go to you local bookstore you should be able to find it along with others. I would suggest thumbing through the different books to see what each one offers. No need to buy everything when one a few pages might apply to what you are looking to learn.

There are also (gasp) other forums out there that also talk about the different modeling methods. Spend some time just looking and reading.

I would suggest starting out slow perfect your techinques, don't get discouraged you will get faster and better with time and practice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Though there are some people who like giving long winded answers. =)

PS in the above post I go through the steps to show the wireframe. All that is done after that is to take a screen shot (print screen on a PC) and then cropped in your favorite image editing application.

DarkAlexF
07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
One thing you might want to do is head on over to the modeling forums. =)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

there is a lot of good information in there. =)
you may also want to look up some tutorials on edge loops to understand those a bit better.

some basic techniques are things like

Spline and nurbs modeling
Box Modeling
Mesh creation with Bi-Rails
Polygon/Nurbs Scuplting
Each one of these techniques offers something different in how it acomplishes the end result. You may wind up using a combonation of these techniques. You may also want to look for a copy of the intro to Maya book. It will explain a number of basics to help get you going. If you go to you local bookstore you should be able to find it along with others. I would suggest thumbing through the different books to see what each one offers. No need to buy everything when one a few pages might apply to what you are looking to learn.

There are also (gasp) other forums out there that also talk about the different modeling methods. Spend some time just looking and reading.

I would suggest starting out slow perfect your techinques, don't get discouraged you will get faster and better with time and practice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Though there are some people who like giving long winded answers. =)

PS in the above post I go through the steps to show the wireframe. All that is done after that is to take a screen shot (print screen on a PC) and then cropped in your favorite image editing application.
So I was using Box Modelling mostly?
Head and chest were boxes and I did best on those.
Watched a tutorial on that and it seemed the most natural to me.

Anyway, VERY helpful, just what I needed and I feel it will help my technique very effectively.

thank you so much!

Freshfromthegrave
07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
man i reckon you need to go and buy yourself a nice big maya book and work your way through it chapter by chapter. there are WAAAY too many gaps in your knowledge about the whole concept of 3d in general. you're not ready to do character rigging ;) first you need to complete the model, then UV map, texture and shade before you can rig and skin :P it's a very linear workflow, one thing at a time in order otherwise it can get messy.

Darksuit
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
nod, which is why I suggested that in my first response there.

@ DarkAlexF Box modeling is not simply creating a box then subdividing it to smooth it out. That is closer to a sculpting method. Again, As I stated before and as Fresh also stated you should invest in a basic Maya Book that you feel comfortable with.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dus-stripbooks-tree&field-keywords=Learning+Maya

you can also go to your local book store and find one as well. Getting the book that is closest to the edition that you are using is always a good bet. But it is also not always necessary.

One of the reasons I always advocate going to your local book seller, is that you may learn in different ways then how the books teach. Find the book that matches up with your own learning style.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.