PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Ropes and I need some help.

Numatius
09-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi.

I was wondering on how you guys managed to make your Colors blend, and stand out so well. For instance, I'm trying to paint in this creatures arm, which is muscular. I use the Dodge Tool to help bring out the "Bludging" Area's of the arm. But it comes out blotchy, you can see where I ran the brush. I'm having a very hard time trying to smooth it to the point where it looks natural.

Do you use filters? Plugins? Is there a Setting I'm missing?

I've been using the Dodge, Burn, Blur, and Smudge tools to try and make it all fit together. It doesnt look brutal, but I know it could look alot better.

I've just started learning how to use Photoshop 7. Self taught. I'm in Film school, and I'm looking to take an animation course, maybe after I Graduate. So any ideas would help immensily.

Also, I was hoping to post the picture up here after. So you guys could critic it. I didn't draw the picture (I Don't have a scanner), But I'm trying to learn the art/techique for painting in photoshop. Then move on from there.

Ian Jones
09-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Are you using a low opacity on the dodge/burn tool? building up more slowly can help to avoid wandering brushstrokes and some splotchyness.

Many people use the smudge tool, but it really depends on what look you are going for. Do you want super smooth? or painterly with some visible brushstrokes? Cartoon sytle? grungy? hyper-realstic?

It would really help if we could see some examples of what you are aiming for and where you are at. It would be easier to suggest some techniques to help you.

Ultimately though, I think its always going to be a fairly painstaking process.

Amerasu
09-23-2003, 03:33 PM
I use a low opacity setting (at anywhere from 2-5%) on my brushes to avoid a blotchy, painted look. If you take your time and build up slowly, you can make things very smooth.

Numatius
09-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Thanks.

I didn't notice the opacity setting at the top :hmm:

I tried to post what I had, but for some reason it kept getting stuck while trying to post the message.

Any Idea's on how to show you guys this picture?

Ian Jones
09-24-2003, 09:54 AM
email it to me and I'll post it if you really want to.

ian_jones_oz@hotmail.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.