PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max modeling question

schumi
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi, I am struggling to model simple parts for a project im working on. I am trying to create a steel pipe framed structure like image below.http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6547491-0-large.jpg

I have made the big outside legs, but when i try to use boolean to join the pipes running horizontally it results in more polys that look horrible. Yet i dont want to just overlap them. I want them to form a nice join. Please can somebody help with this?

Piflik
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
If you don't want to imtersect them, then you'll have to create the connection by hand...Cut and Weld are your friends ;)

Personally I would intersect it...with the Round Corners Feature of A&D Materials it would look as if they were joined.

schumi
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input Piflik, the cut and weld would take a long time to do lol but I will try it. Has anybody else got any ideas?

Mr. D
07-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Hello

Given any thought to not bothering to boolean at all? Your image shows a structure whose pipes do not fit smoothly together, more like various pipes welded together. You might try using texture\geometry to make the ends of the inside support struts appear welded to the main supports.

Mr. D

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 02:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.