PDA

View Full Version : question

link84
09-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Ok im making st. basils church located in the kremlin (you know teh cathedral with teh cool looking domes) well anyways to the point how would you make them have that twist and the jaggieness on them? for the twist i was thinking of making multiple cylinders and twisting them but the other one i have no ideas can i get some help ppl

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 04:33 AM
It would be a lot more productive to post an image and ask "how do I do this?".

I certainly am not going to go digging through google images to hopefully find the image that illustrates what your talking about.

Also please give your threads a descriptive title. Simply titling your thread "question" does nothing for setting expectations about the threads contents. To say nothing of the confusion browsing several thousand threads title "question".

link84
09-21-2003, 02:04 PM
http://faculty.luther.edu/~iudinnel/pics/14/Jan%2014%20St.%20Basil's%20Cathedral.JPG

the top dome multicolored stuff

link84
09-21-2003, 02:29 PM
heres whjat ive tried so far its the green and organge colored dome. i havent had much sucess but im getting closer

Robcg2
09-21-2003, 03:21 PM
I don't really know if this will work but it's an idea for the jaggy dome. Maybe you could just make the dome like it didn't have any jagged point or curves on it. Then subdivide and scale all the verts that have been made (by the subdivide) in the middle of each quad you made. You would have to have a pretty light mesh in quads to start but that's how i would do it. I hope that was clear i'm not very good at explaining how I would do things.

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 04:31 PM
This was done with cylinders, then a flare and a twist.

As I'm looking at the ones with the diamond pattern (jaggies?) I'm seeing that they are simply a variation of the twisted ones, with the spiral running both directions.

Great choice for a modeling excercise!

link84
09-21-2003, 04:31 PM
hows this look

link84
09-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Electrofirma
This was done with cylinders, then a flare and a twist.

As I'm looking at the ones with the diamond pattern (jaggies?) I'm seeing that they are simply a variation of the twisted ones, with the spiral running both directions.

Great choice for a modeling excercise!

thats quite good but could you explain some more on the jagged ones im having a hard time with them. hows my dome tho? i used a pcylinder and then made a curve and just extruded the faces along the curve. its gonna be hard but if i do get it done it will look awesome. i know how to do the other spiral ones where they go in ill post them in an hour or so

link84
09-21-2003, 04:40 PM
heres one with the cross and ball ontop just disregard the other thing on the left thats the thing i duplicated and the bottom i still have to clean that up

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 04:49 PM
This was done with a single cylinder, applied an Edit Polygons->Poke Faces to the whole thing, then added a flare. (no twist)

I think this would be my choice of the way to go to get a base geometry to work with.

Have fun! :wip:

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Here's a good image, better contast of jaggie details.

http://www.piersallison.co.uk/travel/marcopolo/trans_siberian1993/large/st_basils2.jpg

link84
09-21-2003, 05:48 PM
This was done with a single cylinder, applied an Edit Polygons->Poke Faces to the whole thing, then added a flare. (no twist)

I think this would be my choice of the way to go to get a base geometry to work with.

Have fun! :wip:

WOW thanks a bunch that helps alot my question now is on the red and white one is that smooth? and Ty for the picture.

Also what do you mean by flare?

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Looking at other pictures it looks as if the red and white dome was designed to be smooth around the individual colored bands, and jagged verticaly between the bands.

flare = animation menu set, deform->create linear->flare. Then in the channel box select the flare deformer, set the ending x and z to zero, and the curve to about .5

The more I dig around and look at images the more I like this building as a modeling exercise. Do you have any images which show decent top/front/left/etc. views? I'm having difficulty just getting my mind around the basic shape of the structure.

link84
09-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Looking at other pictures it looks as if the red and white dome was designed to be smooth around the individual colored bands, and jagged verticaly between the bands.

flare = animation menu set, deform->create linear->flare. Then in the channel box select the flare deformer, set the ending x and z to zero, and the curve to about .5

The more I dig around and look at images the more I like this building as a modeling exercise. Do you have any images which show decent top/front/left/etc. views? I'm having difficulty just getting my mind around the basic shape of the structure.

i could hook you up with quite a few pictures just give me a way to contact you and ty again

Marcel
09-21-2003, 08:13 PM
another solution for creating the diamond shapes on the dome is this workflow:

- Create cylinder with 20 subdivision around and 10 in the height
- select all faces
- use edit polygons->poke faces to create the diamond shapes
- use a lattice to deform into the dome shape
- use a twist deformer to make is spiral

Electrofirma
09-21-2003, 11:31 PM
As I played with it I realized the flare or other simple deformers don't work correctly. It will recreate the shape but not the topology needed.

The horizontal loops toward the top need to be much tighter than the lower ones. If you look at the domes it is fairly obvious that they all have the same structural design, and the differences are just in the outer skin.

With that in mind, if you look at the red/green one, with the squares (see attachment), you'll notice that the individual panels remain fairly square as they get smaller and tighter toward the top.

I took a crop of the red/green one from http://www.paulzalonski.com/Moscow%20St.%20Basil's%20Paul%20FA%20Chris.jpg and set it up as a template on a poly plane.

Then I took a cylinder with 48 divisions on the axis, and about 20 in height. Then I simply drug each horizontal loop into place and scaled it to fit.

From that base I can create any of the domes by simply massaging the edges differently.

link84
09-23-2003, 02:41 AM
now i got all the domes done thank god i got to get them home tho i did them at school. but anyways how am i gonna do the arches and stuff on the main building that come out of the center

link84
09-24-2003, 12:54 AM
and do i have to pull out eacha nd every vertex or is tehre and easier way?

Electrofirma
09-24-2003, 03:30 AM
and do i have to pull out eacha nd every vertex or is tehre and easier way?

The trick is to figure out the steps needed to get what you want, then maintain your selection as you do it.

In the attachment look at the green and gold dome... It isn't a correct representation of the actual green/gold dome, but I know what went wrong and am working to figure out how to overcome it(more later)

These were my steps to get what I got...

1. I selected all of the faces which would become part of the pattern.

2. I scaled the faces down with extrude face and keep faces together off. This will create the ridges between the faces.

3. I extruded again, inward, with the current selection. This gives the ridges depth.

4. I toggled the selection by shift-selecting the portion of the dome that will contain the pattern. This selects the ridges.

5. I applied the green material to the ridges.

6. I shift selected everything again to get back to the original faces, and applied the gold material to them.

7. I did the poke faces to get the raised centers in the gold areas.

This causes the points near the top to be too pronounced. I went back and selected the gold point vertices, one horizontal row at a time, starting from the top and used the move tool in 'normal' mode to bring the points in to a height that was a little more inline with the actual apparent height of the points. I didn't have to do this to all the rows, just the upper most.

Up until the final adjusting of the heights, one horizontal row at a time, the steps to create the geomtry are very simple and rely on toggling the existing selection.

I could see very early in this process that my diamond shapes didn't match the actual dome, but this was because of the geomtery I created for the dome, and since the steps to poke the faces was so simple I went ahead and continued with the process.

I realized after examining my results closer, the base geometry of the lower four domes are not simply squashed replicas of the upper four. I've got to go back and setup a bitmap to use as a template for getting the lower domes right.

(BTW, link84, I sent you a PM with my email addy)

link84
09-28-2003, 02:01 PM
does someone have the ariel veiw of this?

i havent gotten anything from you electrafirma just 1 pm

link84
10-04-2003, 01:24 AM
i got all domes done but the green and gold

link84
11-02-2003, 04:15 AM
did you ever finish it?

hudie
11-03-2003, 02:16 AM
:applause:

link84
11-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by hudie
:applause:

what?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.