PDA

View Full Version : creating 'trade lines' over a globe ending at 1 point

danthemanwhocan
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi, this my first post and I've heard lots of good things about this forum so hopefully someone will be able to help...

I'm creating an animation in 3DS Max for an awards ceremony (the Golden Joysticks Awards) and at one point in the animation, Earth comes into view and needs to show lines coming from various countries all ending up in London (signifying 'voting'). Please see the attached image for reference...

Now, I could set up a load of particle systems each with it's own spline, but this would prove very long winded, be very inflexible and generally a pain in the backside. So I was wondering if there was anything in Particle Flow that could help me, or if there is another way of going about doing this? I ideally need dozens of lines, the more the better. Any ideas/tips would be very much appreciated. I'm using Max 2009 64 bit and rendering using Mental Ray.

Thanks in advance, :)
Dan.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2108/votinglines.jpg

harefort
06-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I never worked with it, but have you tried using the "find target" test?
Seems to exactly what you want.

Glacierise
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Find target will give you the move to destination, Lock/bond will give yo uthe surface follow. And you'll need some winds - towards and away from the center of the earth, animated with the particle age, to make the arc. That last part might be tricky, but you could find a setup that works :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.