PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good image based modeling software for specific application

fluffymoochicken
06-29-2010, 03:18 PM
My company wants me to find an image based modeling software that can take images of rocks viewed in a microscope from multiple angles and generate a 3D model of the samples. I've found multiple pieces of IBMR software by searching around (some of which don't have demos available), but I simply don't know which one would work out the best for sampling from a microscope.

Have any of you dabbled around with image based modeling software before? If so, which package would you suggest as the most suitable for this particular application? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give. :)

vancliff
06-29-2010, 06:12 PM
There is an open source application called Insight3D that you could give it a try.

fluffymoochicken
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Thank you for your reply. However, I have looked over that software (since it was free), and it appears that it requires a bit more work to get acceptable results than what my company is asking for.

The general rule of thumb here is that the more automated the software is, the better. Cost of the software is not an issue for them. I wasn't sure how familiar you all would be with them. Perhaps I was unknowingly barking up the wrong tree.

gregsandor
06-29-2010, 11:57 PM
After I saw your post I spent the afternoon testing Insight3d. Really cool program, thanks.

earlyworm
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
XYZRGB offers online photogrammetry...

http://www.xyzrgb.com/online_scanner/index.html

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.