PDA

View Full Version : Shadows kill my render times =\ (MentalRay)

Freshfromthegrave
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
hey guys i'm having some trouble with getting decent render times in mental ray using shadows with omni lights. whether i use the ray trace shadows or shadow maps (or the detail shadow maps) even at really low quality it always shoots my render times through the roof. like i'm talking 6 minutes without and an hour with!!! i mean that's just not normal... i'm using maya 8.5 (yes i know it's old we're upgrading soon! i hope!) and there's already a sun/sky system in place. is there something obvious i'm missing here?

chafouin
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
How many shadow rays do you use for your raytraced shadows?

Freshfromthegrave
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
one! xD i think... unless there's a hidden number somewhere :P but that's one in the raytrace shadow parameters in the light attributes and 2 in the mental ray tab but either way those are real low. same deal with area shadows :(

chafouin
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
How many lights do you have? Can you post your scene?

Freshfromthegrave
06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
there are 6 (either all area or all omni, same result from both) and a sun sky system, i'm just doing a little bit more experimentation with saving FG maps and if no success i'll try post the scene! thanks dot!

chafouin
06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Area lights can have expensive shadows if you have a high number samples (to avoid grainy shadows). Take a look at the mental ray tab in your light attribute editor.

Freshfromthegrave
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
hey dot looks like FG map saving is bringing me right :) at least with area shadows there's a reason for it to take a long time ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.