PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Remnants

kiwi
05-26-2002, 08:51 AM
This is meant to be after an Android war or something similar.

Stu.

Matt
05-27-2002, 03:03 AM
Well...

"This is meant to be after an Android war or something similar" doesn't sound like a good description of a well planned project. I don't meen to be critical, but this is the critiques section. Your textures need a lot of work, and the terrain is, I'd say, 40% realistic. You'll probably be pumping out some nice stuff in half a year though.

Jhonus
05-27-2002, 03:29 AM
The biggest and easiest thing you could do to improve the image would be fixing the lighting. its really flat at the moment.
A barren environment like that is likely to be very hot and bright. And where there is bright there is dark. So you should probably get some sharp shadows going and in general create a greater light to dark range throughout your image. Take your image into photoshop and check out the levels and you will see what I mean graphically.

Mmm... and from the image I can see the light is positioned at a low angle (jugding by the shadow cast by the head). Yet the sky doesn't indicate a sunset or sunrise. So postion your light shadow casting light at a higher angle.

kiwi
05-27-2002, 03:31 AM
No critical is cool Matt :)

I didnt spend enough time on getting the lighting right.

Maybe android war was a bad description,but i couldnt think of anything better at the time thats all.

Heres a newer version :)

Stu.

kiwi
05-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Thanks Krugar :)

I think I probably tried to hide the crap lighting with the dust :)

I had some other destroyed metal and bits and pieces,but I didnt want to evoke memories of Sept 11 for anybody,so I left them out.

Stu.

kiwi
05-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Last one I promise :) ...I put the wrong texture on the landscape :hmm:

Crits still welcome :)

Stu.

Obraxis
05-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Hmm, maybe it should be slightly buried? I dont know. Not bad tho :)

diazgl
05-27-2002, 06:04 PM
hmmmm, nice effort, but I wouldn't say that you have a scene there....you seem to mostly be showing off your head model. Your scene is kinda empty, it needs more elements, to make it looks realistic. Also, make the head interact with its enviroment. Being a little sank in the ground, dusty at places, covered with sand. Also, for some reason, that looks like a HUGE head!!

kiwi
05-28-2002, 12:20 AM
Ya agreed diazgl :)

The head looks huge because the trench or depression is not long enough to support such a perspective with the scale of the head and the metal parts being out of sync :)

It started out as an experiment really,but I started it so now I might as well finish it :)

Stu.

kiwi
05-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Ok fixed most of the problems :)

Now I think I can do something new :thumbsup:

Stu.

diazgl
05-28-2002, 01:46 PM
looking better, but the piece of reflective metal stuck in the ground, isn't really recognisable.....and buried in the ground, well, give it one more try. Make actual dirt if possible, and perhaps model places where the dirst has piled up. Also, your ground needs work. It looks like a displaced plane at the moment (and it prolly pretty much is). You need to add an interesting bump map, and try working with procedurals within your working enviroment (max, lw or whatever) to do so. A -perhaps- good technique to pile up dirt, is to create an additional piece of the ground [separate from it though] and then boolean it with the head. The add different textures, bumps and all. Expirimentate, and most important, when you're trying to build a scene, ALWAYS have a picture of the scene in your head, and make it as full as it should. Perhaps you should pay more attention to the enviroment aspect than to that robot pieces aspect. It is very propable, that in the shot you took, only 3-4 remnants exist, but it is pretty much impossible for no rocks/pebbles/dust/cracks/anomalies would exist in the enviroment!!!

diazgl
05-28-2002, 01:50 PM
and another thing I JUST noticed!! Why does the head have a similar texture to the ground? Isn't it a robot? I mean, you could be unoriginal and make it metallic......:) I think it would better. If you want to make it dusty, or even rusted, keep in mind that metals tend to accumulate only a small amount of dust, due to that fact that most of metallic structures are polished. And also keep in mind that rust doesn't effect the ENTIRE metal at once. It effects regions that paint or polish has been scraped off, and continue from there.

kiwi
05-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Yep agreed again :)

It started out as an experiemnt really,but like I said I will finish it properly yet:)

The head and the metal pieces have similar tex because its meant to be like a spray on camo coating for them to blend in their enviroment :)

Stu.

AnimaLMotheR
05-29-2002, 01:13 AM
I think u should add a few sheep to the scene. :D;)

kiwi
05-29-2002, 04:57 AM
:scream: Thats almost funny :D

Stu.

kiwi
05-29-2002, 10:45 AM
I liked the idea of mud better :)

Stu.

DgiMusique
05-29-2002, 01:15 PM
:beer: let's have a beer!

you had a great idea at first... i think you went too far and your robot head is too much hidden now... maybe make it come out a little more and keep in mind that mud is more like Goo than sand... more liquid... make it maybe more dirty then you can start taking off some stuff, i think you added a little too much stuff...
but the idea is DAMN GOOD

diazgl
05-29-2002, 02:05 PM
hmmmmmmm, nice getting better, but i'm afraid i'm gonna repeat what I said earlier....use a procedural for your ground....looks more complex, more...you know..."more"

kiwi
05-29-2002, 11:23 PM
DgiMusique - Thanks man :thumbsup: ,why is it always the next day that you see all the little crappy bits you previously missed,and only ever after posting :D

diazgl - Ok I will try a muddy procedural :)

I think that tree has to go as well.

Thanks guys :)

Stu.

diazgl
05-30-2002, 08:10 AM
i hope i'm not pushing the line, but I wanted to show you how easy you do stuff with procedurals. This is a LW preset i changed a little (just a little) and applied on a displaced plane.

kiwi
05-30-2002, 11:47 AM
No youre not pushing the line bud :D ,dont worry about that :thumbsup: Now I see what you mean by more.

I appreciate all of your help :thumbsup:

I will have a new render up soon.I just finished one a short time ago that took 3 hours,only to bloody find out the cursor had slipped and I had set hard shadows!!!! doh:surprised

I also found mud is more tricky then I thought,but its all in the specular settings :)

Cheers

Stu.

kiwi
05-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Here we go.....this one looks crap :hmm: ,I must have screwed up the lighting and the shadow setting. On the subject of lighting I have to thank Kai for some of the excellent tips he gave me as well :)

I think now I have just gone to far from the original concept.

Stu.

kiwi
05-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Hmm the pic would help eh :surprised

Latter
05-30-2002, 08:32 PM
I think the first picture was much better. The textures, lighting and perspective where better! :)

kiwi
05-30-2002, 11:23 PM
Ya I agree I am back to a sand enviroment again :)

This pic is starting to bug me,but I dont like giving up,its not in my nature :)

Stu.

JonnyClem
05-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Wow I like that. You are much better than me. I think you should a mixture of the first image(on this page) and your last one, maybe use the texures and lighting from the first. Nice work :thumbsup: !

Brett H.
05-30-2002, 11:50 PM
Hey, Stu, fancy meeting you here! There's a lot more renders to this pic than I originally saw! I really like the water in the holes, but I suppose that doesn't go with the sand.

Very nice though, I love the concept. Where do you get these ideas?

Brett

DgiMusique
05-31-2002, 01:01 AM
:bounce:
so your comming back to the sand right? cool!
i liked sand more than mud...
maybe you could work on the sides of your hole... rocks comming out maybe?
and get rid of those lines in the texture on the sides...
also you could maybe put some silver reflects on that kind of metal thing comming out at the left...

that thing is starting to be soooo cool!
i think if i'd have money i'd buy the idea for the making of a Terminator/like movie

kiwi
05-31-2002, 05:30 AM
Hey thanks guys :thumbsup:

Jonny the next one is a bit different,but I think better

DgiMusique I think the sand pit might have been a little out of my reach just at the moment,and I can see I need more practise in some areas,but I will come back and make one yet just because its a real challenge :D If you want to try the idea yourself bud just go for it,there is no way I can put any claim on that idea.What I find is even if I have had no previous reference ie movie etc that its really easy for me to come up with exactly the same idea as someone else without even knowing about it before hand.For instance there are only so many ways you can make a joint for an android etc.

Brett hi bud

Ah my ideas...hmm well I was originally a natural media artist until I got sick as you know,so I tend to think in what could be termed a bizarre way,for instance the reason I added the water pools were because I knew I could make some realistic,ish reflections in it with the metal parts and the heads because I had sky and landscape etc.The hardest part for me is my modelling skills and texturing skills are not yet on par with my art skills,which is frustrating,but I will get there yet dont worry about that
The main places I do get ideas from are movies and even cartoons,anything which stretches my imagination that bit further or is a challenge,without ripping someones work though.But the main one would be the desire to take on mother nature and see if I can get even 60% close,if I can do that then I am happy,but even that 60% can be a pretty hard fought battle :) After idea comes reference material,which I dont have any of this time because it started out as an experiment and grew from there :) But the next project will be a new bump and an enviroment for that Dragon of mine.

Damn went over my smilie limit {s}

Cheers

Stu.

diazgl
05-31-2002, 06:25 AM
hmmmmmm, better this time on the mud!!! Only thing is you gotta watch for where you have texture placement problems (tex stretching) and what's that on the left of your pic, under the metal? It looks like it SHOULD be water, but why is it shaped like that? Anyways, i like the contents of your pond, especially that piece of metal with the wire. Looks nice.

diazgl
05-31-2002, 06:32 AM
btw, i also have a question. I am assuming you used planes to make the water. I know this is going to sound stupid, but, do the planes have a tilt, or ANY rotation on the pitch or bank?

kiwi
05-31-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi diazgl :)

Ya actually those planes may not be straight,you might be right there.

The other part is meant to be a green glowy thing under the water also making the water bubble up,but it didnt work,which is obvious eh :)

I need more practise with textures,I definitely see that now.

Ok this one looks ok to me,except it could use more depressions in the sand up front.

I remembered all the tips you gave me and I came up with this pic......The sky is photo but everything else is 3D and lots of color work and contrast balancing in Photoshop :)

Stu.

DgiMusique
05-31-2002, 01:21 PM
too cool!
i love it...
add one more finger? simpsons style makes it look too much like a cartoon :P

maybe make the hole in the head less deep... and draw some electronic circuits into it...

then you could say you have the perfect image

anyways you have a really great idea... and i love this last rendering

kiwi
05-31-2002, 02:54 PM

You mean like this?

Stu.

diazgl
05-31-2002, 04:09 PM
now this is a very nice pic!!! It looks a little bit weird, and as someone mentioned, closer to cartoon than to painting, i still think it's very nice, and i'd like to see it editted to being even better.

Brett H.
05-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Stu,
This sand is way better. Very convincing. I love the way it covers portions of the beam, and you can even see some of it blowing in from the lower left. Very nice. I would like to see a render from almost exactly sand level, as if one were lying on the sand looking out. Then bank the camera just a bit to one side or the other (dutch angle) to give it a bit of mystery.

As a side note, I don't think of you as "sick". I've read a lot of your words and seen alot of your works and you are doing quite allright, bud. Don't let the bastards drive you down.

Brett

kiwi
05-31-2002, 11:31 PM
Cheers guys :thumbsup:

diazgl - I think the Simpsons style comes from the fact that the head looks kind of like Homer in the face area.

Ya it is a weird image,not generally something I would do,but I think every image teaches you something :)

Brett I love that camera angle idea,and thanks for your support :thumbsup: That saying is one of my favorites Bastardo carborundum latin for "Dont let the bastards grind ya down" :)

Cheers

Stu.

Brett H.
06-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Stu,

The actual phrase is either "Illegitimus Non Carborundum" or "Illegitimus Nil Carborundum", and neither are true Latin. They are pseudo-Latin, origin non-specific. I love it though, it sums up alot. As for any kind of "support", you're welcome. I have enjoyed both your artwork and your outlook for quite a while now. Press on, bud.

Brett

kiwi
06-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Aah psuedo latin :)

Ok changed the camera angle,I like the new angle better :D

And gave the foreground some more sand plied up.

Stu.

kiwi
06-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Some humor :scream:

kiwi
06-01-2002, 09:18 AM
And a sketch I did I thought you guys might like.

Cheers

Stu.

kiwi
06-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Actually I like the old angle better :)

Now I am going to go and make a spaceship and see if I can stretch my skills even further :) .......you guys can come and crit it to bits when I finish if you like :)

Cheers for the critiques :thumbsup:

Stu.

diazgl
06-01-2002, 12:25 PM
hmmm, nice!! what's the medium you're working with?

kiwi
06-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Just Photoshop.You make a black bg and a new layer.then set the air brush {with a soft brush} to around 5 - 8 % opacity {firm with a Wacom} and just start painting in only highlights in full white.Its actually quite tricky at first but it gets easier the more you do it,and its also great for understanding specular highlights in your 3D prog :)

Try it diazgl,just think of it like for a face a cylinder of gradient of white to black,with white being in the middle and it receding to black at both ends.Then you just work out which part extends further then others and then you apply a kind of bump map ethos :D

Stu.

kiwi
06-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Aw crap the caption for that pic above is meant to be "Ok,ok I wont chase your mother with the can opener anymore Dear!!.......as in disgruntled wife robot attacking husband robot......must have been late when I did it :hmm:

Stu.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.