PDA

View Full Version : using the split poly tool maya4

foomoto
06-29-2010, 02:52 AM
hello,
i am doing a work around from "Digital Sculpting" Scot Spencer,
he references maya 2009, i have maya4, i am using the split poly tool, to insert edge loops,
my question is " how do i force the poly split tool to snap accurate, right now i am just eye balling it, i have tried holding shift while snapping but its not doing anything.
thanks for your time.

CGSeydlitz
06-29-2010, 07:06 AM
hello,
i am doing a work around from "Digital Sculpting" Scot Spencer,
he references maya 2009, i have maya4, i am using the split poly tool, to insert edge loops,
my question is " how do i force the poly split tool to snap accurate, right now i am just eye balling it, i have tried holding shift while snapping but its not doing anything.
thanks for your time.

Hello,

I never use Maya V4 before but I think you can use split poly and then snap the vertexes manually (to the grid) to achieve some kind of accuracy, and oh for snapping I think you should use "x" key short cut to snap to grid. You can also use Scale Tool and then choose discrete scale to make your vertexes line up and then disable it afterward.

I hope it works.

foomoto
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
thank you for taking you time and responding.

Autarkis
06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
There should also be in the tool option of the split poly tool a slider for where you want the cut to happen. Im not sure if it was all the way back in v4, but you might want to look in there. I rarely use that ( I always eyeball it - well usually )

_vine_
06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
You have two areas that you can alter to change the precision in Maya 2007-2011 and I'm pretty sure it's was the same in 4 and 4.5.

First, in the tool options is a Number of Magnets setting and a Magnet Tolerance setting. Number of Magnets will create invisible spots along your edges where the cursor will snap to. With a setting of 1 it will be in the exact middle of the edge, 2 will give you one at 33.3% and 66.6%, etc. The Magnet Tolerance will set from how strong the snapping of your cursor happens. At 100% the cursor will only be able to snap to one of the invisible points set by Number of Magnets.

Secondly, the polySplit inputs (polySplit1, polySplit2, etc.) in the Channel Box will let you change the values for the split position. Click on the polySplit input and you should see Edge[0], Edge[1], etc. This is the most exact method, but you have to have to be careful because you can't just enter .25 for every edge and have your new edge exactly at 25%. Edges in Maya don't all go in the exact same direction so .25 for one edge on your polySplit may require a value of .75 on the edge next to it.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.