PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in layers question

RyanScott
06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, I have another probably noobie question for you but I can't find the answer I'm looking for via Google or digging through old topics in here. Anyway, I have a character and he's holding a sword. I need those two to be layered out separately so that you only see the sword and it's shadows (i actually a color and shadow layer for each, but will spare you on that) and the player layer would obviously be the one I want on top. So if I go and check out the sword's .pngs that got spit out of Maya I should see only the part of the sword that isn't behind the body and the shadow that is on top of the players so I don't get overlapping shadows. Biiiiiiig thank you to who ever can point me in the right direction. Also, if I'm not being clear enough on what I need please let me know. I'm an animator that got stuck doing some rendering so this is new to me :shrug:

Galakgorr
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
if you want an object to "knock out" other objects when rendering in layers, assign a black surface shader with matte opacity set to zero.

keep in mind this won't play nice with reflections, since now your object is black. there are a few ways to deal with this-- one of them is the mip_rayswitch node in mental ray, which you could research. the other is to not split up your beauty into layers, but instead render mattes for your objects so you can adjust them individually in post.

a matte layer can be as simple as assigning pure red, green, and blue surface shaders to different objects in your scene. then in compositing you can isolate each channel and use it as a matte. or, look up how to use pass contribution maps in maya.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.