PDA

View Full Version : WIP:Hippie

thekamps
09-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Here is a quick sketch of my dwarf. It kinda looks like Jerry Garcia or Santa Clause at the moment. I am going simple and cartoony because I can't draw or model well. It's a start though. Hopefully I'll have the time to do the work and finish. And by all means, if anyone else out there was going to go with something similiar, do it.

JTalbotski
09-21-2003, 12:36 PM
This is my favorite so far! Start modelling!

Jim

Zaryin
09-21-2003, 08:56 PM
LOL! That's great. Can't wait to see that one.

thekamps
09-22-2003, 02:02 AM
"favorite so far"... I am turning all gushy and red.
Thanks for the encouragement and participation!
breath...breath
like I said, I can't draw or model too well just yet.
One thing I am running into, is having to flip normals a lot. My question (two parter), Is/wasn't there a make double-sided comand in AM or am I mixing it up with other software. And two, is there a procedure/technique to help predetermine the direction of the normal. I thought I remember reading something on the list but can't find it.

AM 10.0j

thekamps
09-28-2003, 03:24 AM
Just to show that I actually am working when I have the time and to show that I can't model...here is a pic of where I am so far.
I also have had a few crashes but I don't think I can knock them up as bugs as I was just doing a lot and they were not repeatable.

itsjustme
09-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Fantastic so far!

As far as the flipping of normals...I'm not aware of a way to predetermine it, I just make sure that back-facing normals aren't visible and while modeling I also check the "display normals" box. If there is a way, I'd be curious to know as well.

thekamps
10-10-2003, 05:05 AM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/face.jpg

Working on the face a bit... I've had AM for quite awhile and have tried to model seperate body parts (noses, mouths. etc.) and all kinds of other misc. inanimate items, but this is the first time I actually put them all together.

And I figured out the VB code this time!!

And I am just wanted to say how amazed and in awe I am with what I have seen on the list:eek:

JTalbotski
10-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Cool! He looks great! Definitely a dwarf, just looking at what you've done so far. Keep going! This will be fun to see evolve.

Jim

Zaryin
10-10-2003, 05:45 AM
I'm glad ot see another one coming bacjk. For a second there I thought it would only be three of us trying to finish.

It's looking really good so far. I also can't wait to see the Garcia lovin' dwarf get groovin'

thekamps
10-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys!

Hope to get it done by the end of the month! And if I don't, it looks like I can use/finish it for the 'christmas' Hash Contest due the first of Dec;)

Ho! Ho! Ho!

thekamps
10-11-2003, 09:14 PM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/wire.jpg

A wireframe of what I have so far.

Question: I understand part of this was to help find and report software bugs. I have had quite a few minor but annoying bugs with selections and groups but have not sent in anything to HASH because I was not using the latest version of AM (They change so fast and thus the problems may already be fixed.) Should I be or is that just for those running 10.5l

JTalbotski
10-12-2003, 01:31 AM
The body's proportions are excellent! He looks jolly. The beard is very well modeled. Much better than the stuck on one I tried on my dwarf.

If you don't have the latest version, there is no sense in sending in a bug report that they won't even accept. They aren't going back to v9.5 to fix it. (Just my opinion, not an official decision by anyone.)

Jim

JBarrett
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Looking really good! Can't wait to see this guy finished. Lots of personality in him. Great job! :thumbsup:

Zaryin
10-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Great Job so far. He is going to look good when he is done.

cyberdan
10-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Oooh. I'm looking forward to seeing this guy finished. You guys are inspiring me to start modeling at home.

Cheers,
Dan

thekamps
10-20-2003, 02:30 AM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/sofar.jpg

I had the hardest time with hands and feet! So I owe a big thanks to Colin Freeman and his Cooper tutorials!

http://www.colins-loft.net/tutorials.html

Now ...to finish his head and vest and jewelry. And Texturing! All in 11 days!

Also, is anyone working on the common set that we will be using?

JTalbotski
10-20-2003, 11:54 AM
thekamps,

He looks great! Nice job. There is one area that I think needs a little fixing. The area where his nose joins his forehead, there seems to be a large bump there, like he walked into a door. Try to smooth that out so it blends into his forehead better.

Wegg was supposed to be making the set, but he seems to have disappeared.

Hello, Wegg?

Jim

thekamps
10-20-2003, 04:43 PM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/nosejob.jpg

Thanks Jim.
His face has taken a beating with me behind the wheel;)

A quick nose job and other minor changes...

thekamps
10-23-2003, 03:34 AM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/color.jpg

I am not done modeling by a mile. Hopefully I can finish in time. I just took a break and tried out some color.

Zaryin
10-23-2003, 03:40 AM
I love the tie-dye (or however you spell it :)). I say keep it.

JTalbotski
10-23-2003, 04:47 AM
Yes, great shirt design, I like the tie-dye a lot!

I liked the headband look you had going earlier. I'd almost like to see a bald head poking up out of the headband. Maybe with some flowers in it...like, flower power, man! (Just my thoughts, though.)

Very cool!

Jim

thekamps
10-30-2003, 03:47 AM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/bald.jpg

An update...I haven't had much time this week but here is where I am so far. He definitely needs some eyebrows and needs to be textured. This may be as far as I get before the due date though.

I also went a bit backwards - more toward the original sketch (minus the hair). Any other suggestions?

Kind of a mute point because I really don't believe I have a chance to win (just wanted to have some fun and improve) but, ... a couple of days ago while looking through some of the other's posts, I read that it was agreed upon that we also had to have the model rigged and with a certain rig. This was the first I have heard of this. I came in late when someone posted an invite to the animaster list. It sounds like I may have missed a lot of the discussion and what was agreed upon earlier somewhere else. So is this required too? It wasn't mentioned in the Weggs mini-challenge post. It might take me a while.

Zaryin
10-30-2003, 04:20 AM
It is looking awesome. I wouldn't worry about the rigging part too much. This was the first time we're having this contest, and I'm sure we can ignore some of the rules for this first one ... maybe. :).

dagooos
10-30-2003, 04:25 AM
Hey, your character is coming out really well. was a fun model to watch from concept to finish. As far as the the rig is concerned I would use whatever rig you like. I dont think anyone here will mind.

ps. I see your from Rochester pretty soon we will have enough people in the area to have our own users meeting :)

JTalbotski
10-30-2003, 11:48 AM
thekamps,

He looks GREAT! Nice character and proportions. I love it.

Just because the rig to use was discussed doesn't mean it was decided upon. If it wasn't in the rules than it's up to you.

Jim

Drakkheim
10-30-2003, 03:31 PM
oh my god! He looks EXACTLY like one of my old design teachers from college!
Great work!

John Keates
10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
I like all the costumes that he has. He is lots of fun. I also like the way that lip-synk would be a breaze with him.:thumbsup:

thekamps
11-01-2003, 02:09 AM
http://home.rochester.rr.com/thekamps/hippie.jpg

John - He seems to be the ken doll I never had. Actually, I am real bad at texturing and can't find a color or look to go with that loud tye-die;)

Dagoos - An upstate NY users group! Maybe?! It might be hard, we are just so spread out - a lot of territory ( from Buffalo to Syracuse). I thought about sneaking up to Toronto once. They have a big group there I believe;)

JTalbotski
11-01-2003, 02:26 AM
thekamps,

Maybe you could scan in some denim for the vest texture.

He looks great!

Jim

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.