PDA

View Full Version : Problem On Vue

behnam7406
06-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Hey Guys.
Lately i start a game project and i'm using Maya for modeling & Texturing & Vue to generate terrains.

I created High Detail Procedural terrain and export it (low poly .OBJ ) to z-brush for Sculpting & generating normal maps.
and as u know z-brush have some troubles with triangulate faces for sculpting. it generates perfectly but noisy.and the only reason is TRIANGULATE faces.

so there are 3 questions.

1 : is there any way to export Quad Face From Vue??
2 : Is there any way to generate Normal-map in Vue??
3 : Is there any way to bake lighting & colors in Vue??

i dont want to convert triangulates to quads in maya or z-brush. it crash the topology of geometry. and there are to many edges to delete manually.

by the way i liked to have the same quality of Vue in my terrain,apparently it's impossible to have all normals & lighting in one place.

SO.ANYONE KNOWS WHAT SHOULD I DO? images/icons/icon10.gif
Thanks For Help images/icons/icon11.gif

Cuni
06-28-2010, 04:07 PM
You can try to solve this problem in maya (and probably any 3d package). In maya there's a tool called cuadrangulate, that basically removes the edges that generate the triangles, based on some paremeters.

Hope this helps.

DanielSeebacher
06-29-2010, 09:22 AM
You cannot create normal maps within Vue and you can't export quadfaces either, but you can bake the illumination. The only problem is that you need to convert your object to a polygon object before you can bake the lighting. Right click onto the object and choose "Convert to polygons". A slider lets you adjust the amount of polygons before you convert it, which may take a while, especially with procedural terrains. Once your terrain has been converted to a polygon object double click the object in the world browser and a new window will open where you can bake the illumination.

behnam7406
06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
You can try to solve this problem in maya (and probably any 3d package). In maya there's a tool called cuadrangulate, that basically removes the edges that generate the triangles, based on some paremeters.
Hope this helps.

as i said i dont want to convert it to quadrate. it crashes topology.i want to export quadrate! :) thanks for reply

You cannot create normal maps within Vue and you can't export quadfaces either, but you can bake the illumination. The only problem is that you need to convert your object to a polygon object before you can bake the lighting. Right click onto the object and choose "Convert to polygons". A slider lets you adjust the amount of polygons before you convert it, which may take a while, especially with procedural terrains. Once your terrain has been converted to a polygon object double click the object in the world browser and a new window will open where you can bake the illumination.

Thanks buddy. i'll use the illuminiation tip u gave me.
i create new normal map with z-brush and it's still noisy
you sure there's no way to export quads? it's odd that GREAT VUE cant export quadratic modeling topology!
thx for reply. images/icons/icon7.gif

cturner3d
07-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Actually you are wrong. You can generate every map needed in Vue alone. Just need to know how.
Problem with the technique to do so is you will need to script a camera to line up with your terrain correctly, or you can purchase "Snowflake" from AsileFX, which is a toolset of many features they made easy.

So first off once you have your terrain setup, you would do a top over view of the terrain in the main camera viewport. Render a high quality light rig that shows off the details. The in render option on the lower right coner is a sectyion that will allow you to generate a 22 layer .PSD of the render area. You will find the normal maps in that psd. But remember if you dont have the camera perfectly lined up this won't line up correctly on the mesh.

As for importing Vue terrains into a game engine, I've done it and it does work nicely. Thing is Vue materials are procedurals, so you won't get the great photoreal quality in a game engine. You can get pretty good results though, just depends how much work you're willing to do.

behnam7406
07-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Actually you are wrong. You can generate every map needed in Vue alone. Just need to know how.

Problem with the technique to do so is you will need to script a camera to line up with your terrain correctly, or you can purchase "Snowflake" from AsileFX, which is a toolset of many features they made easy.

So first off once you have your terrain setup, you would do a top over view of the terrain in the main camera viewport. Render a high quality light rig that shows off the details. The in render option on the lower right coner is a sectyion that will allow you to generate a 22 layer .PSD of the render area. You will find the normal maps in that psd. But remember if you dont have the camera perfectly lined up this won't line up correctly on the mesh.

As for importing Vue terrains into a game engine, I've done it and it does work nicely. Thing is Vue materials are procedurals, so you won't get the great photoreal quality in a game engine. You can get pretty good results though, just depends how much work you're willing to do.

really really thanks for reply.

i'll use the tips.

AsileFx SnakeFlake is needed to create normal map?

i've got another problem.

i created polygon ROCK (FIRST GEOMETRY) in maya and export it to VUe for bake stone material to a color map.

as u know the geometry becomes triangulate.

i dont want to use the triangulate geometry. i want quads. so i should use my FIRST GEOMETRY with baked color map.

but VUE moves and scale geometries UVs and then bake color for it and the texture doesnt fit to FIRST GEOMETRY.
Vue crop the uv shells from empty space.the only way to avoid that is to create borders for UVs and leave no empty space.but VUe still move and scale UVs

do u know why is this happening?

and there is no way to export quadrate geometry from vue???

cturner3d
07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
really really thanks for reply.

i'll use the tips.

AsileFx SnakeFlake is needed to create normal map?

i've got another problem.

i created polygon ROCK (FIRST GEOMETRY) in maya and export it to VUe for bake stone material to a color map.

as u know the geometry becomes triangulate.

i dont want to use the triangulate geometry. i want quads. so i should use my FIRST GEOMETRY with baked color map.

but VUE moves and scale geometries UVs and then bake color for it and the texture doesnt fit to FIRST GEOMETRY.
Vue crop the uv shells from empty space.the only way to avoid that is to create borders for UVs and leave no empty space.but VUe still move and scale UVs

do u know why is this happening?

and there is no way to export quadrate geometry from vue???

http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_58&products_id=112

Explains it all for the normal maps. As far as exporting in quads, I'll take a look tomorow and see if I can figure a technique out, but last I checked everything ends up as tris with Vue.
And no you don't NEED Snowflake, but its a set of premade Python scripts that are very useful tools for the whole application. You only need this as explained in the tutorial DVD i linked toi lock the camera in the correct position to export the normal maps.

behnam7406
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_58&products_id=112

Explains it all for the normal maps. As far as exporting in quads, I'll take a look tomorow and see if I can figure a technique out, but last I checked everything ends up as tris with Vue.
And no you don't NEED Snowflake, but its a set of premade Python scripts that are very useful tools for the whole application. You only need this as explained in the tutorial DVD i linked toi lock the camera in the correct position to export the normal maps.

Thanks. i post the quad problem on e-one feedback.they told me Vue cant support quads.
thanks for the tutorial.
still have problem on UVs.
it seems VUE generates normal maps on viewport render. it cant bake to a texture.right?

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.