PDA

View Full Version : Light Decay control with ramp projection?

nikiatanasov
06-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Hello, I'm having troubles with adjusting the light decay with the standard falloff types (linear, quadratic, etc.) Is it possible to control the light intensity with 2D ramp and projection? Maybe I have to deal with the light sampler info but I can't figure it out. Some help will be most appreciated.
Thanks!

EDIT:
when tired thinking is a difficult task :)
just connected the ramp projection to the light color!

Niki

chafouin
06-28-2010, 09:28 AM
In attribute editor, Light Effects, click Create on Intensity Curve :)

nikiatanasov
07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the help buddy, but the area lights doesn't have such option in the AE and I'm mostly using them instead of spot or point lights. Still the easiest way for me is to use ramp projection connected to the light color.

Thanks,
Niki

chafouin
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
It works if you create a mental ray area light from a spotlight (just have to tick the Area Light in the mental ray tab).

Otherwise I think you can duplicate the lightinfo + intensity curve network from the spotlight and connect it to an area light intensity.

Connecting a ramp directly to the color will make a projection of the ramp. You can get the same results, but if you want to make something based on the light distance, the lightinfo node is the way to go :)

nikiatanasov
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
In maya 2009 the area light checkbox for spot lights is disabled and it looks like it's impossible to enable it, on other hand the point light doesn't have any. Probably using the lightinfo and the curve from standard spotlight may do the trick, I'll try that in the next project with similar needs.
Thanks for the info.
Niki

chafouin
07-02-2010, 07:23 AM
In maya 2009 the area light checkbox for spot lights is disabled and it looks like it's impossible to enable it

Are you sure MentalRay plugin (Mayatomr) is loaded? :)

nikiatanasov
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Ahh, it's my mistake, sorry. I just started maya to do a quick test and didn't noticed that the mentalray isn't loaded. Strange because I'm using only mray and I don't know why the auto load was disabled. Thanks again for your help :)

Niki

JohnPetrucci
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
But if youre going to use spotlight mr area light it's going to cause you some performance issues. It's documented in the help files.

nikiatanasov
07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
But if youre going to use spotlight mr area light it's going to cause you some performance issues. It's documented in the help files.
That's very useful info my friend.
Thank you!

Niki

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.