PDA

View Full Version : Strange artifacts using "Afterburn" Please help

manservantpablo
06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
I am wracking my brain here trying to figure out why I am getting unusual artifacts when I am rendering this sequence. I am experiencing extremely long render times, but the quality is still pretty bad, and its causing a strange effect when the sequence is animated. It doesnt look TOO bad on still images, but it creates a very noticeable digital "fuzz" when its animated that makes the whole sequence look terrible. Ive been trying to fix this for days...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/Hiddenpowers/WTF.jpg

The images are being rendered in 720p, the step on the clouds is set to 1. I am thinking this is a shadow/ray issue? Any ideas? Thanks!

Any feedback is appreciated greatly!

Glacierise
06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been having this artifact when my stepping is too low. First, decrease the number of particles you use - try to pull it off with as little particles as possible, this will cut a lot of your render time - then find the right stepping, which is th highest that doesn't give you artifacts.

manservantpablo
06-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks, I will hit the drawing boards again and try to reduce the particle count. What step size do you recommend?

Glacierise
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
It's dependent on your scene scale and sizes, that's why I said - experiment and settle with the biggest one that gives no artifacts.

manservantpablo
06-28-2010, 01:50 AM
I cut back the amount of particles, and increased the step, and it reduced the issue to near zero - thanks for your tips!

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 01:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.