PDA

View Full Version : Help! Particle Flow Animation

Sasha44
06-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I've this problem with making an animation with PF Source

What I want to do is create an object with particles and animate it so that particles appear from bottom to top.The particles shouldn't move from bottom to top.They must appear from bottom to top.

I've made the particle system with Particle Flow and its materials but I don't know how to animate it.

I thought of doing this using a Gradient Ramp as the opacity map. But the problem is I can't put it in the particle
material's opacity slot as it already have another opacity map and even if I do it would animate opacity of each particle
not the opacity of the whole particle system.How do you assign an animated opacity map to the whole particle system?

How do I do this (or is there any other way of doing this without plugins) ?

I've asked more than half a dozen people already but no one seems to know!

HELP! :cry:

Glacierise
06-27-2010, 07:27 AM
You put particles on the whole object, then you animate a deflector moving through it. Use the collision operator to make your particles collide with the deflector, but set it to 'continue' so they don't bounce off. Then connect the deflector output to a new event, in which you assign shape and material to the particles.

Sasha44
06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Thank you Glacierise for the fast reply ! :bounce:
I posted the same question on Area and got another method too

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/particles---dynamics/help-particle-flow-animation/

I'm going to try both ways and see which would take less time to render and which looks better and use it

I have a hunch that a deflector would slow down the animation though

Thanks again!
:)

Piflik
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a third one: Spawn all particles without any shape and use a Keep Apart + Speed Test combo to pipe them into a new Event where they get a shape. In the keep apart operator you have one primer particle and the particles from the second event.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.