PDA

View Full Version : parti_volume HUGE scene

soupman99
06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm working on a sunken pirate ship. My scene is to scale, so it's like 400 units across. when I try and render it takes FOREVER. Is there any advice someone can give for using this shader in such a large volume? I mean anything, light set up, potential light intensity etc.

any advice? Should I just scale down my scene, and change my units to feet?

InfernalDarkness
06-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Rescaling your scene likely won't change your rendertimes, because it's still outputting to your target resolution and still doing the same amount of math. Parti_volume is a slow shader by nature. Among the slowest. If you want such accurate results, you're just gonna have to live with those rendertimes.

There are other ways to simulate volumetric light, including postwork rays, which may be more cost-effective for you and look pretty good.

Aikiman
06-30-2010, 03:30 AM
could try a fluid from visor.

InfernalDarkness
07-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Fluids break the FG calculation, though. Unless perhaps a mip_rayswitch would exclude them or something? Has anyone successfully used fluids with FG in Maya 2009 or later?

Aikiman
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Do you have to render with FG for the volumetric? How about a separate pass?

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.