PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Stumpy

itsjustme
09-20-2003, 08:50 AM
At the moment, I don't have a sketch or anything (my sketching leaves a lot to be desired)...I'm mainly saving the idea before someone else submits it. I'm thinking a happy dwarf with a peg leg, a hook for one hand and a dead eye from scratching it with the hook.

Hopefully, I manage to make it look OK...we'll see.

dagooos
09-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Agghh I just drew a peg leg dwarf like that...lol
back to the drawing board

itsjustme
09-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Okay, since I'm not working from a sketch, I'm experimenting with the look....so things will probably change as I go along.

The first thing I made were the eyes. I've attached a shot of one of them. The second eye is nearly identical at the moment, I'll be making it clouded and dead looking later. The iris is open farther than it will naturally be because 9.51e has a bug that has prevented me in the past from using muscle mode to make a slider to control an iris' opening and closing. I'm going to use v10beta7 to render from and to finish up rigging when I get to that point. Incidentally, I rendered this in the beta.

Since I'm using 9.51e to model in, I'm not going to forward my bug info to Hash, but I'll document it here. The first crash came ten minutes into modeling the eyes when I imported the materials...the program crashed the first time I tried, then gave me the overlapping PWS video error after I restarted. I saved my project and it cleared the problem.

eye.jpg

itsjustme
09-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Here is a start on Stumpy....right now it's just his right arm and a basic half of torso. At the moment I think the hand and arm will work (unless I change my mind, of course)...sorry it's not much yet, I just felt guilty since I didn't put up a sketch. Stumpy's left arm will be ending in a hook.

I'm hoping to have more time to work on him tomorrow...yeah, I'm making excuses already.

Just for those keeping track of such things...9.51e crashed once on me while making this piece of torso because I hit "undo" once. I usually avoid that.

torso.jpg

Zaryin
09-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, you're already farther than me. I haven't even started modeling yet. UGH! Nice going so far.

itsjustme
09-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Okay, here's a "so far" from two angles. I still haven't put the buttons on the shirt and the materials may change later. There is also wireframes from the same angles in case anyone is interested.

I'm going to make the head and legs as separate pieces, the arms are also separate...it just makes it a little easier for me since I'm going to be doing some layering of things.

I'm still way behind where I want to be...I'll put in some more time tomorrow.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
09-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Here's the bird's eye view.

JTalbotski
09-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Wow! Very nice. I'm dying to start modeling now! Got...to...do...real....work...got...to do....real....work...

Jim

itsjustme
09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys, I'm just hoping to not embarrass myself...this is a great bunch of artists! I just entered to test myself.

After re-reading the rules, I figured I'd better document some of my workarounds here. It's not much of a workaround, but, it cures one problem...I tucked the end of the lathed finger under the nail to eliminate the dimple on the finger tip.

Here are a couple of shaded wireframes to illustrate...now, the end of the finger is tucked.

Here's the side view.

itsjustme
09-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Here's the bird's eye view. In order to manage the tucking of the end, I also increased the lathing to 8 subdivisions.

itsjustme
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Okay, Stumpy now has legs, a foot, and buttons. I've also changed the material on the belt buckle to be a little more gold and a little less reflective. Of course none of these materials or colors are definite yet, I'm sure I'll go back and forth a hundred times before I'm done.

Next time I work on him, the first thing I'm going to tackle is his wooden leg...I can't leave him balancing like that.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
09-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Here is the side view, it looks kinda strange at the bottom of the leg because of the missing part of the right leg.

JTalbotski
09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Cool! Nice proportions. It's looking really good.

Jim

zandoria
09-24-2003, 02:47 PM
looking good! I hope I can get started soon...

Zaryin
09-24-2003, 08:41 PM
That is looking real good so far.

John Keates
09-24-2003, 11:10 PM
I like the sock and the way that you get a feel of the body under the clothing. You are making me itch to get moddeling.

hoochoochoochoo
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
love the character but I have one question- is the arm length the reason he's called stumpy? If so, I'm OK about the length of the arms.

itsjustme
09-25-2003, 03:08 PM
hoochoochoochoo

No sir, the reason he's called Stumpy is because he's got a wooden leg and hook for a hand (he's a clumsy woodsman). His arms are extremely long at this point, but he's going to get a lot of adjustments as I go along. I'll take a better look at that tomorrow.

For today, I've added Stumpy's peg leg...I was shooting for a birch leg. Here's the front view.

JTalbotski
09-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Ha! Very funny detail with his peg leg!

Jim

itsjustme
09-27-2003, 02:08 PM
I haven't been able to get much done on Stumpy for the past couple of days....here's what little I managed to squeeze in. The only difference is the resizing of the arms so that they won't drag on the ground and now I have a full shot with his wooden leg.

I haven't had much problem with AM, the only thing that didn't cooperate was a cookie cut map I was working on...AM didn't like it for some reason. I probably did something wrong and didn't realize it. I may go back and try it again later, it's just a little detailing anyway.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
09-27-2003, 02:11 PM
I don't think I've shown the back yet...so here it is so far.

itsjustme
09-27-2003, 02:12 PM
And here's the side view. Next time I'll post some shaded wireframes. Hopefully, I'll get some time tomorrow to make the head.

If there are any glaring problems with the "so far" or you see me going down a bad road let me know.

itsjustme
09-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Well, I've started on the head...I'm going to have to quit for the day, but here's what I've got so far on it. Okay, he's not going to be very "Disney"...I'll just have to deal with it. Here's a front view.

itsjustme
09-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Here's the front view of the head as a shaded wireframe.

itsjustme
09-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Here's the side view.

itsjustme
09-29-2003, 10:40 PM
And here's the side view as a shaded wireframe.

Next time I manage to work on him I'll finish up the head, put it on his body and put his eyes in.

itsjustme
10-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Well, the crashing has begun for me....it only happened when I tried to manipulate points in shaded mode though. It caused me to crash straight to the desktop several times before I actually tried to figure out what was wrong (I'm not that smart, but I'm persistent). I just did any point tweaking in wireframe views to prevent this.

The head still needs tons of tweaks, but, in the interest of showing my work here's the "so far" to this point. I've added an ear (that needs some work still) and worked the head into something more than just a mask (although it's still pretty squared at the moment).

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
10-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Here's the side view. Time has been at a premium for the past couple of days....I'm hoping to put in some time tomorrow.

JTalbotski
10-02-2003, 05:04 PM
The head is coming along nicely! Since you don't have a sketch, I'm not sure what you want him to look like, but he has a lot of personality in his face as it is. It's not quite what I think of as a dwarf's face, more of a big bully. But there's no set way he has to look except how you want him to look.

Good work!

Jim

itsjustme
10-02-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm actually going to try for a Dom Deluise type look...that's the set of rotoscopes I'm using. He probably won't look exactly like him (I really don't want it to), but that's what I'm using as a guide. Right now the head is still blocky, I'm going to do a lot of rounding and reshaping the next time I get to work on him.

itsjustme
10-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Okay, here's the results of the first round of fixing Stumpy's head. There's still some tweaking to do and spline reduction, but, here's the "so far" again.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Here's the side view.

itsjustme
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
And here's a bird's eye view. Hopefully, I'll be able to speed up the process a little...

modernhorse
10-03-2003, 04:26 PM
I think the head looks great so far, and the rest of him too.

I too have been struggling with how to make the head fit in with the dwarf thing, but have just settled on my design whether it fits or not. I dig the likeness (intended or not) of Dom. hehe

Zaryin
10-03-2003, 08:59 PM
I like the head so far. It's looking very smooth. I still have problems with that in all my modeling.

itsjustme
10-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Thanks modernhorse, hopefully I've made a good choice using Dom as a base. I just wanted a happy faced character and I thought Dom's face would work...we'll see how well the final result turns out.

Thanks Zaryin, I use the front and side rotoscopes to rough in the head and then use a bird's eye view to round everything up.

itsjustme
10-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Okay, the head is finished and on the body....I'm wrestling with the hair maps at the moment. Here's the "so far", he's got eyebrows and a beard that are definitely going to be looking different once I get AM to cooperate. I'm also going to add a horseshoe of hair around his head.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
10-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Here's the side view.

itsjustme
10-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Here's a bird's eye view. I still have to put in his teeth, tongue and throat, texture him and get his hair to work right.

John Keates
10-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Looks good to me. He has an expressive face that realy suits his characeter. Jus two things that stick out for me: The arms look a little low down and the wrists should kind of rotate as they go so that they meet the hands at the right angle. Sorry if my explanation is goofy. Good going anyways.

JTalbotski
10-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Nice beard shape! It gives him even more of an original character. He's really come together well! Are yopu planning on giving him a hat or hair on the head? There's a lot of good detail in his body that work nicely. His belt buckle doesn't measure up to the rest of it, though. It needs a little depth to better fit in. Even if you just add a little curve to it that would help make the reflection more intereresting, it wouldn't look pasted on like a decal.

The arms are set up like you might be planning on using the 3DArtz cog system. Am I right?

Nice work!
Jim

itsjustme
10-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the critiques guys.

John--It does look like I might have to either lower his head a little or raise his shoulders...I'm not sure what you mean about the wrists, I'll take a closer look the next time I work on him to see if I can see what you're seeing.

Jim--Yessir, he's going to have a horseshoe of hair on his head and a hat...I'm thinking of adding a little more beard on him too, just enough to bring it to the edge of his jawline instead of just under it. The belt buckle is curved, but maybe it needs a little more, I'll mess with it next time. I was going to just use a modified 2001 rig so that everyone would be familiar with how it works, I haven't used the cogs system...I only have a rough idea how it works.

Zaryin
10-07-2003, 10:54 PM
THat beard is looking pretty nice. I'm hoping I can get mine to look half that good. I still don't know who to get the hair on mine without it showing all over the place.

itsjustme
10-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Not much time left, and a long way to go! I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the hair in the versions I've been using (10beta7, 9.51e, 9.51d, 9.51)....I may have to change several things, unless somebody suggests something that works. The maps that won't work for some reason are the direction maps and the color doesn't seem to like gray. I get all kinds of different looks on the hair with the same lighting. The only surface attribute I have set for the hair is the color (it should be gray). When I messed with the Ambience I could get what I wanted, but the color still wasn't constant. Since this is for a still, I may just worry about making the hair look right for the one shot...maybe I'm missing something. :banghead:

I've changed the beard length because the direction maps didn't seem to be working (they've worked for me in the past, but I don't remember which version), I've added some texturing to the shirt, shoe and skin, added teeth and more hair and did some work on his wrist...I think that's what John saw. I still have to get to the belt buckle.

Here's the front view.

itsjustme
10-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Here's the front closeup.

itsjustme
10-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Here's the side.

itsjustme
10-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Here's a side closeup.

JTalbotski
10-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey, he does look like Dom Delouise! Nice job! I like the beard and hair. I think maybe the hair has too strong a setting for clumping, though.

Have you checked to make sure the key color has been changed to "not set" in your hair decal for color. The default is black and that could affect the way a gray decal would work.

You want to have the key color changed to "not set".

Jim

itsjustme
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks Jim, I went back and checked and the only maps that I don't have "not set" for the key color are the ones that need it for length...I may just tweak the "Ambience" since it did give me what I wanted even though it wasn't a constant. You're right, I need to turn down the clumping, I was going to use a direction map to make it look better but those aren't working for me in the version I'm using. I'll do some more tweaking tonight.

itsjustme
10-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Okay, enough hair problems...I've got to finish this century! I had the hair looking like I wanted in version 9.51d, but the cornea on the right eye wouldn't render correctly. So, I decided to go back to version 10beta7 for rendering again and I'll just have to accept the way the hair looks. If I get time after rigging him, I'll go back and do some more texturing and such. Oh, I forgot to add the hat! I guess I'll make that too.

Here's the present front view. My updates to him besides the hair changes are a scar under his left eye, clouding his left cornea, shrinking the iris a little, adding a tongue and dulling the belt buckle...the hair problems really slowed me down.

itsjustme
10-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Here's the side view.

itsjustme
10-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Here's a bird's eye view.

Zaryin
10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
That is looking fantastic. I love that shoe.

itsjustme
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks Zaryin.

I still haven't finished smartskinning Stumpy...I probably won't get him completed before the deadline. I'm hoping to get him done late Friday night. Hopefully, that'll be just under the "drop dead" deadline.

Zaryin
10-31-2003, 07:33 PM
RIght now I am having a little problem with my computer, but I wouldn't worry about the smartskinning too much. I only rigged mine with the 2001 Rig -- and probably not that good either :).

itsjustme
11-01-2003, 02:59 PM
OK, now it's time for the excuses....it's not what I intended for assorted reasons, but I had to get something turned in. I had trouble getting the 2001 rig to cooperate on the IK arms and I didn't have much time, so I put in a basic setup and posed him without completely smartskinning him. I just slapped some lights into the choreography, which means he's not lit very well. I ended up having some problems with 10beta7 (that I could cure if I had more time) which caused me to have to render in 9.51e making the eye color black instead of amber due to a bug in that version. I made the pose simple so that I wouldn't have to adjust as much manually....and finally, I had to make it 640x480 so that I could keep the file size under 20k (and it still has some compression artifacts).

If I enter one of these in the future, I'll do quite a few things differently....and hopefully better.

itsjustme
11-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks to everyone who critiqued and commented. This has been a good learning experience for me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.