PDA

View Full Version : How the f do I make a 'hole' in a mesh?

PendoX
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Hello folks,

I've been trying to learn Maya (as a hobbyist)
I have a problem when I try to make a hole in a mesh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBWYpDZ3Ho
I've posted a video on how I've been doing it and to kind of give you the idea of what I'm trying to make.
I'm using Maya 2011

Thank you in advance :D

Dare-o
06-27-2010, 07:06 AM
instead of snapping verts together, use the 'append polygon tool' under the edit mesh tab. while in the append polygon tool click the edges to fill the gaps. When a quad is created with the tool, press enter.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3460/dfvfds.jpg

JJXu
06-27-2010, 04:15 PM
If you are just interested in making a square-shaped hole in a cube, then simply create a Pipe and decrease the Subdivisions Axis to 4. Rotate it 45 degrees along the Y then Freeze transformation. You will have a primitive that you can use in association with your other models.

If you already have a geometry made and want to make a hole on it, then use method Dare-o mentioned if you have uniformly created topologies. If you have something organic or dense, then try the Booleans>Difference option. You can actually cut out holes with different shapes/patterns with the Booleans option. May what to see Maya Help for doing it this way.

Good luck!

Zarathustra
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I have no idea what you're trying to do. If you wanted one side flat and the other side pushed in, than the merge vertex tool worked fine. If you'd rather have it flat but equally pushed in on both sides, than I'd select corresponding verts and do merge to center. If instead you don't want either side pushed, so that you have a hole on both sides and a tunnel connecting them, then I'd delete the faces on each side, double click an edge on the border of one hole, double click the corresponding edge on the other hole, and bridge.

PendoX
07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Dare-o got it, thank you so much :) Don't know why I didn't think about that :D

RickToxik
07-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi guys,

In any case, I would learn how to use the boolean operations, which are the best tools to create custom-shaped hole in a mesh. But be aware of this: in MAYA, the boolean tool does NOT work the same way for nurbs than it does for polys.

For polys,
- you select the object on which to perform the boolean
- you apply the (poly) boolean tool
- you select the object to substract then hit enter

For nurbs,
- you unselect everything
- you apply the (nurbs) boolean tool
- you select the whole mesh to be deformed, hit enter
- you select the whole mesh that will produce the hole, hit enter

I think I remember correctly, but the essential is to know that these two booleans differ in the manner they must be performed. I just had a such a hard time to find this explanation on the net and in the Maya docs, that's why I feel I must write it everywhere. :cool:

PendoX
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm not a big fan of booleans, because it always gets screwed up when I smooth

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.