PDA

View Full Version : Frog tongue twisted rig. Need advice.

Giap
06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I am rigging a frog tongue and has a problem with the twist. I use the IK spine to rig the frog tongue and it got stretch and twist features. I use the Advanced Twist Controls for the twist but every time I twist the one end of the tongue pass 360 degrees. The tongue flipped.

I wonder what should I do to avoid the flip? In animation, the frog tongue will twist really hard in some shots.

KielFiggins
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
You could layer the twist and have that controllable without the splineIK.

-Have your spline IK be your base.
-below each joint align an empty group
-inside each joint parent a free floating joint
-since they all have the same pivot and orientation info
- create a 'twist' channel
-connect that twist channel to a multiplyDivide node (you'll need to adjust the multiplier depending on the number of joints), then connect the md output to the rotation channel on the group
-lastly, you'd bind to the free floating joints, not the splineIK joints

Hope this gets you started.

Giap
06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have figured it out with some expression. I did start with the same idea like what you have mentioned. Now depend on how many joints I have, I will divide the rotation value of the top tongue controler to it. Then, depend on the order how close the joint will be to the controler, I will multiply the result after dividing to it. So now the closest joint will twist more than the last joint. I can even rotation pass 360 without problem.

MikeRhone
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Maya's spline twist leaves a lot to be desired I find. My current method is very close to the one outlined here:

http://faithofthefallen.wordpress.com/awesome-spine/

It's a great setup, and I highly recommend it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.