PDA

View Full Version : Auto-play .SWF files on CD?

AirbORn
09-20-2003, 06:17 AM
Hey everyone!

I got a quick question to ask. Does anyone know how to create a CD that will auto-play a published stand alone player? This being a .SWF file that is published as a stand alone player with the .EXE extension.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the burning process.

Thanks in advance.

inglis
09-20-2003, 06:40 AM
create an text document and save it out as "autorun.inf"
and put it in the root directory of the cd.

make the contents of the document this:

[autorun]
open=appname.exe
ICON=iconname.ico

-- put the icon on the cd as well, it will then show up instead of the default cdrom icon.

hope that helps.

AirbORn
09-20-2003, 05:46 PM
I"m having some trouble with this. When I burned the files onto the CD i did the following.

I used a writable folder and placed both the .INF file and the .EXE file in the writable folder. I then simply burned the files onto the CD.

When I placed the CD back into the CD-ROM it didn't play, then when I tried opening the CD folder it said "the disk structure is corrupted or unreadable."

Is there a certain program I need to use? I have Nero?

Also how do I make .ICO files? what program do I need to use?

Thanks for you help.

Clockwork
09-20-2003, 07:38 PM
ICO Files are just the icon files for your disk in the reader, try finding an app called called microangelo - works pretty well, and make sure the .exe and auntorun.ini are placed right on the root of the cd, and not in any folders (Unless the ini calls to the folder specifically). Should work fine.

AirbORn
09-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the Info,

Just so I know we're talking about the same thing, when we are talking root folder we are talking about the window that I open when I open up the CD-R The very first directory.

To make this simple what I do is drag and drop the files into the CD and I don't place them in any folders just the highest part of the CD's structure.

Also i'm a little confused with the file formats for the text document. Is it .ING or .INI? because you posted something different then the previous person.

Thanks once again.

Ian Jones
09-21-2003, 12:37 AM
erm... I think he meant ini

and Yes, Placing it directly in onto the cd in Nero is what you need to do.

inglis
09-21-2003, 04:17 AM
INI might work as well. but i just opened up a free magazine cd and its INF.

AirbORn
09-21-2003, 05:53 AM
I'm having no luck with this :annoyed:

The template I used in Nero was a normal ISO template. The first on the list. I then drag and drop the .INI .ICO and .EXE files into the window. I then burned it and finalized the CD. When I put it back into my CD-ROM it opens the folder and not the .EXE file.

Thanks for all your help, but i'm really stuck on what it is i'm doing wrong. : (

The reason why I want to figure this out is because I want to put my portfolio on CD for clients.

Let me know if there is another template I need to use, or a certain setting I need to set. :shrug:

Ian Jones
09-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Seems like it could just be a general problem with your burning process. Maybe reinstall Nero to get the defaults and settle it back in.

*.ini *.inf I'm not sure now... will have to google it.

inglis
09-21-2003, 10:20 AM
here ive attached the inf i got off a magazine cd..

inglis
09-21-2003, 10:22 AM
i dont understand why it wouldnt work.
its just edit file to target the correct files, drag all files into root directory and burn.

nathanielbell
09-21-2003, 02:07 PM
its inf. Short for information. It sounds like your doing it right but I have done this alot and sometimes its real picky about working off some burners for some reason. Maybe try burning a test one off someone elses burner.

AirbORn
09-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Sounds good, I'll try it out on another burner and let you guys know what the outcome is.

AirbORn
09-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Good news, I noticed that i used lower caps for the autorun=main.exe in the .INF file and used upper case for the MAIN.EXE file. That must have been the problem because I tired burning it once again on my computer and it works great.

Thank you sooooooo much for all your help, you guys rock. :buttrock:

Ian Jones
09-23-2003, 02:24 AM
heh, thats pretty cool. so its INF...

Will this autoplay on a mac aswell

Ian Jones
09-23-2003, 02:25 AM
Apparently according to someone I was just talking to, Nero has a built in feature where you choose autorun and select the file to run.

nathanielbell
09-23-2003, 03:35 AM
no it wont work on a mac. For a mac to work (in OS 9) they have to have the auto play option turned on for there computer and that only works for quicktime I believe. So if they dont have it checked theres nothing you can do about it. For OSX I'm not even sure what you would do. hum.. Off the top of my head there is most likely a way but you would have to burn the orginal disk in OSX and asign the projector file to launch itself when the disk is inserted or maybe some kind of shell script but youd have to figure out a way for the script to be read automaticly and I have no idea on that part. Maybe. I'm just shooting out of my ass now. So to make a long answer short. No. No it does not.

nathanielbell
09-23-2003, 03:37 AM
Does the nero make a mac autorun? If so ... hum...

AirbORn
09-23-2003, 04:00 AM
I forgot about MAC, I wouldn't mind finding out how to make a autorun for a MAC computer. I'll ask around seeing as how i'm surrounded by hardcore MAC users at school.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.