PDA

View Full Version : Help with Breaking Glass?

Ein Stein
09-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Just wondering if someone could offer a helping hand, or point me in the direction of a website that can.

I'm working on an integration assignment at the moment, and what I want to do is pan past a live action window and have the 3D pane of glass explode outwards.

Here's my progress so far: here (http://kubrick.cdes.qut.edu.au/~n4386744/3D2ass2.htm).

But if anyone could offer any suggestions or URLs, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Kaiser_Sose
09-20-2003, 09:12 AM
My next big idea. Making one plane with a Crack Shatter for the large shards of glass, and a smaller plane where the bullet goes through using a Surface Shatter. Unfortunately, the larger shards didn't get affected by the dynamics field.

Go in to the dynamic relationship editor and set that geometry to be affected by both of the fields

rendermaniac
09-24-2003, 11:55 PM
Have a look for the book Maya - secrets of the pros. There is a glass window shattering example.

You may want to create your window as Rigid bodies without collisions in the shatter options. Then use the initial velocity and mass to control the simulation. You could also use a gravity field coming out from the window (probably with some turbulance).

Of course I haven't actually tried this ;)

JTee
09-25-2003, 12:08 AM
hey travis, u doing 3D animation 2 at QUT??

same here!!

i wanna do sorta the same thing as you, but in mine
i'm gonna punch a glass window, make it crack first then shatter as the punch goes through the window....

but i'm so far behind :P

i dun even know how to make a glass window pane!!! :annoyed:

how did u make yours? i made a nurbs plane and just used a blinn shader i think and made the transparency full, but it didn't really work.... any suggestions??

thanx

John

Ein Stein
09-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks rendermaniac, I'll have a look around for that book.

What I've done so far is used a rigid body crack shatter on a plane and instanced those shards to a particle emitter. Plus some other stuff, but I've just walked from Southbank to QUT and my brain is a bit sore I'm afraid.

Yep, John. I'm doing 3D2 at the moment. :wavey:

JTee
09-30-2003, 02:33 AM
that book's available at Borders in the city

i've looked at it as well, but i think it's too hard for me and i dun need anything as complex as that but dunno yet...

it's $100 sumthin i think

Ein Stein
10-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Ok, I've run into a major problem. If anyone could help, that'd be great.

When I instance them, the shards all rotate around pivot points that are outside themselves. And I can't work out how to get them back into the shards! The only thing I can think of is because I highlighted the whole shard plane when I first instanced them, each shard still pivots around the virtuall center of the plane. Get it? Like, if a shard started in the top right of the plane, it's pivot will be below and to the left where the center of the plane used to be.

Like this:
http://kubrick.cdes.qut.edu.au/~n4386744/NewWebImages/3D2_help.jpg

Any ideas? :sad:

Kaiser_Sose
10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
I think you used shatter effect from what you previously described ... I dont know, I never have used it, I find more control using a detatchseperate script and turing on / off the visibility of the together / seperate object to breakthings

If shatter changes the objects in to rigid bodies, lpook in the channel box when one is selected, at the very bottom I think there is something like center around bla bla bla

Ein Stein
10-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
I find more control using a detatchseperate script and turing on / off the visibility of the together / seperate object to breakthings

Cool. What does that involve? I've never used that kind of thing. :hmm:

rendermaniac
10-05-2003, 12:21 AM
I was just thinknig. Instead of crazy instancing, couldn't you just parent the shards to the particles?

Simon

Ein Stein
10-05-2003, 07:04 AM
Well what I've tried now is just some simple active rigid bodies and some expanding fields. I've documented everything at my journal site. Just click the Web link under my messages and go to Assignment 2. It'll be down the bottom. Lemme know what you think!

- Travis

i-d
10-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Great progress. I was playing little with these
but that shatter is just not working good for me.
For that particle instance problem there are a couple
of good scripts at highend, JMS and instanceCopy.
First makes an animation curve for each particle
and gives great control.
BTW did you miss that there is one free scene (bullet) from
Blastcode.

Ein Stein
10-09-2003, 06:31 AM
No, I didn't see that blastcode had a free scene... But I guess if I had of used it then I wouldn't have learned all I have about dynamics, particles and the like. So that's good then.

I'm about to update the page too. I've worked out a new way of using the same principal without the need for fields! W00t! And this way also gives me an accurate projectile and collision to work with. :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.