PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Nerdy Dwarf

Zaryin
09-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Well, I'm not the best at drawing but I thought I'd start my thread off with a fast sketch of an idea.

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdy.jpg

Just a sketch of the idea so far. I was going to go for Skinny Dwarf, but then I remembered what I looked like in highschool and decided on this :).

JTalbotski
09-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Oh yeah, I love it! Does he talk really nasal-y, especially about things like the solar system.

Jim

My Fault
09-20-2003, 04:17 AM
Oh that's great! Haha, he must've been the accountant of the group. Had computers been invented, this guy would be your man... I mean dwarf :thumbsup:

Zaryin
09-20-2003, 04:55 AM
Jim: Yeah, he does. Also, even though he has that huge nose, his glasses always seem to slip down...

My Fault: He has an Abacus 3000 back at the cottage :).

Thanks for the comments guys.

Zaryin
09-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Well, it looks like I am probably not going to have the time to do this contest. I am just way to busy even to start it and won't even be at the computer most of the month.

If I have chance to work on him I wil, but I don't think I will.

Once again, I'm really sorry about not being able to do this contest. If anyone wants ot use my idea it's open even if I do decide to try and do this.

Good luck everyone,

Jeff B.

hoochoochoochoo
09-29-2003, 10:41 AM
hey Zaryin - this mini forum has been really positive and fast moving. You have helped achieve that too.

Please keep going huh?

Zaryin
10-04-2003, 05:15 AM
Had some time to work on my guy. I know it doesn't look much like the sketch, but it's worknig for me so far. It's been so long since I actually modeled something that I seem to have lost my touch a little so it's a little lumpy. Hopefully I can get rid of that stuff.

I know most of it is the amount of splinage I have, but like I said, it's been awhile since I modeled anything, so gimmie a break on that. :)

I had one crash when doing copy/fip/attatch, but it didn't happen again.

here is the image:

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/face01.jpg

Let me know what you think of it so far. Heopfully I will get more time to work on this before the contest ends, haha.

itsjustme
10-04-2003, 08:28 AM
I think he looks great so far, lots of character in his face. I hope you get the chance to finish him.

JTalbotski
10-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Zaryin,

Nice! Yes, I agree, you've given him a lot of personality already. Keep going!

Jim

Pengy300
10-04-2003, 09:51 PM
excellent start..keep it up

Zaryin
10-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Ok, I got the face done now. I am so used to using 8.5 with it's crappy transparency. I mean, look at the trans and refraction on those eyes, that is just awesome. Can't wait to see what they look like after I decal them.

I didn't know if I was going to get the ears to work for me, but I like them the way they are. Slightly real, yet not too much so.

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/face02.jpg

I am hoping that I can get going with this guy and finish him before the deadline. I'm really starting to like him.

Once again, I don't want your opinions. They don't matter to me. (this is sarcasm, please let me know what you think so far :))

EDIT: Is it just me, or does he look a little like Robin Williams from the side?

itsjustme
10-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I can see a little Robin Williams in there...he's gonna look great.

Zaryin
10-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Well except for the inside of the mouth and the hair, my head is done. Hopefully I can get Jim to tell me how to use hair guides for that :).

Excuse any artifacting in the jpeg since I saved it at half quality.

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdy-in-chor03.jpg

The cap isn't final color. I don't really know what colors I'm going to use yet. Trying to remember some really good nerdy colors while I'm modelling.

Time to move onto the body.

itsjustme
10-06-2003, 09:03 AM
He's looking fantastic so far! As for nerdy colors...you could try a plaid on something. There's a plugin here: http://www.core.jsdi.or.jp/ggg/Plugins/Turtan.htm that does a tartan/plaid that might be useful. To translate the page I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/ .

JTalbotski
10-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Ha ha ha! Great! He looks just like your sketch. Nice modeling!

Jim

Zaryin
10-06-2003, 08:33 PM
itsjustme: Thanks alot for the info. You can see from my sketch that I was thinking of plaid, and this plug-in will work perfectly -- that is, of course, if it works in 10.5.

Thanks for thinking he's looking good so far too.

Jim: High praise from a Hash Master. Thanks alot. I don't think he look's exactly like the sketch, but he's close enough to make feel good about it.

But seriously, could you post like a link or whatever to where you learned how to use hair guides. There's no way I will be able to model the hair, dsi I'm thinking hair guides will be the best way to go.

-----------------

I'm really hoping I can finish this guy. I want everyone who said they would do this contest to do it. I've already learned alot about 10.5 in just the short time modeling this guy.

I started entering the Hash Image contests for the simple reason of learning more about the program, and getting better. It does work.

Man look how smooth that guy is loooking. Biased normals and porcelain rule, haha.

Zaryin
10-06-2003, 08:49 PM
itsjustme: Crap! I can't get the Turtan plug-in to wokr with either 10.0 or 10.5. Whenever I try to select it from the PWS A:M crashes.

Is it meant for another version of A:M?

JTalbotski
10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Zaryin
But seriously, could you post like a link or whatever to where you learned how to use hair guides. There's no way I will be able to model the hair, dsi I'm thinking hair guides will be the best way to go.

Zaryin,
I pretty much just figured out how to do it when it first came out, so I didn't learn from a tute. But someone did post a tute here:

hair guide tutorial (http://server2.hostpoint.ch/~novamvia/pablotest/TutorialHair/TutorialHairGuide.htm)

Even so, I think you might be better off just using the hair material without the guides. You can control it with the property driving decals if need be, but so far I haven't used them on my dwarf. I do plan on using them on my dwarf's eyebrows.

I'm really looking forward to V11's hair system when it's fully working.

Jim

Zaryin
10-06-2003, 09:40 PM
Oh, I thought you were using hair guides for the beard. I don't much about hair. I love it, just haven't really used it. I did use the color decal option, but that's as far as I got with it.

V11's hair looks damned good.

Thanks for the info.

JTalbotski
10-06-2003, 09:41 PM
I was using the guide hairs for the long strands of hair I used to have on my dwarf. I've since removed them.

Jim

dagooos
10-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey, Model is looking great! Nice to see that he is coming along.

Zaryin
10-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the comments dagoos.

itsjustme
10-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Sorry the Tartan plugin isn't working....I'm not sure what version of AM it works on, it doesn't say and I haven't had a use for it yet.

Enhance AM has a plaid that you can check out here:

http://www.shaders.org/am_textures/am_plaid.htm

Unfortunately, it's not part of the free stuff they have.

There's a plaid located here:

http://www.staor.net/hasham/materials/materialPage.cfm?browseByType=procedural

You might be able to modify it for your purposes.

Zaryin
10-07-2003, 09:49 PM
itsjustme: Even though it doesn't work, thanks for helping anyway. I'll see what I can do with that one plaid mat.

Thanks again.

Zaryin
10-08-2003, 08:01 PM
I got the facial decals done. The clothing is just a base so far. Haven't added wrinkles or materials as of yet. My real problem is the hair.

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdy-in-chor05.jpg

As you can see my material is picking up on the color of the patches beneath it. I am using a diffuse color and length decal for the hair, but it is still showing the underlying patch colored hair instead of just the decal diffuse color.

I really need an answer to this. Otherwise I have no clue how to continue. Please help with this.

Thanks.

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Zaryin, Does your hair diffuse decal have areas of solid black? When I import a new image to use for a decal, A:M always assigns black as the key color, so any black in your decal won't be applied to your model. If this is what's happening in your case, expand the image triangle and right-click/control-click on key color and choose "not set".

This is the first thing I can think of that may be the problem.

Jim

Zaryin
10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
I actually have an Alpha channel on the color decal, but it is all black. Maybe it's the alpha that's screwing it up.

I'll try it out.

Zaryin
10-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim: If I set it to "not set" all the white areas in the hair beard of mine go black. What I am looking for is a way to get rid of the white area. I don't want any hair in that area.

Is this not possible? How did you get you beard and eyebrows? I'm assuming you used a decal...?

JTalbotski
10-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Zaryin,

You should *not* be using alpha channels with hair decals. You should make the decal image large enough to cover the group of patches that contain the hair emitter. Your image should be black wher you don't want hair and white where you do and shades of gray where you want shorter hair. Losing the alpha channel should do it.

Jim

Zaryin
10-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey Jim for some reason this isn't working for me. I tried it on a simple 4 patch square and it's like a certain area just wont pick up my length map.

I found a crappy workaround right now by building patches underneath the skin and having the hair on that. I must be doing something wrong in placing it or something.

I will post again if I actually get it working correctly for me.

Jeff B.

hoochoochoochoo
10-09-2003, 06:10 PM
too funny!

I've seen that face before walking into our finance office!

wonderful expression!

Zaryin
10-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks hoochoochoochoo, I'm hopeing to be able to work on him more later today.

Jim: It seems to be working now, but now i have to redo some of my maps *sigh*. At least it's working now. I don't know what was worng. Thanks for the help Jim.

hoochoochoochoo
10-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Zaryin - I do still tend to try economise where I can with patches or splinage.

Not ALL the wrinkles are complete spline rings - some end in hooked joints to smooth out the flow of the "cloth"

Zaryin
10-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Ah, thanks for that :). I was never good with clothing. Even when drawing I suck at clothing. I think clothing is the hardest thing to do, in any medium.

Zaryin
10-10-2003, 07:56 AM
I got it working. Done with the hair (except for maybe some hair guide stuff for hair coming out from beneath his hat.

Time to start working on those creases and folds in the clothing ;).

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdy-in-chor06.jpg

Thanks for viewing. Comments about it so far are appreciated.

Jeff B.

itsjustme
10-10-2003, 09:19 AM
He's looking great so far! The hair suits him.

JBarrett
10-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Looks like really fun character! Very nice work! :thumbsup:

Zaryin
10-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.

I did notice that some of my hair is going through the top of my ears, so I will need a little tweaking still :).

modernhorse
10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
HAHAHA He's looking great. Def got the nerd thing goin there.

Zaryin
10-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the comment, modernhorse.

Zaryin
10-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Ok, I changed the body shape to get him to look more dwarfish, but still give him that "skinny" dwarfish look. Gave him pants to his chest and highwaters. Droopy socks. Pointy elf like shoes, which I always found nerdy. And also a big belt with the end sticking out.

I would like to know if anyone thinks I should add more details for the belt (ie: notches in belt, belt straps for the pants, little poiny thing for the buckle to go into the belt)? I don't know If these things are necessary for this cartoony character, but he might be realistic enough to require them. Please let me know.

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdy-in-chor07.jpg

Also, any other comments are alway appreciated.

modernhorse
10-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Very very good. Great design and it is very readable as a nerd. I like the pants much better and love how they're too high. hehe

Mayber the shoes should/could be black. Ya know like how guys used to wear them, white socks and black shoes.
I think the belt needs holes. And something about the beard is too uniform I think. Other than he is swell. Oh he might need hands. :p

Zaryin
10-16-2003, 06:49 PM
Hands! :)

I was just using base colors now, but the black is a good idea for the shoes. If I put holes in the belts (I don't know how I will do that) I might as well add the belt straps and pointy thing. I've had the comment from a friend that the beard was to uniform. I will probably add some turb to my length map to make it look more messy.

Thanks for the comments. Anyone else?

Zaryin
10-23-2003, 03:48 AM
Ok, I'm about as done as I'm getting. RIght now my temp is 100.6 and rising so I won't be able to do anymore.

Eggington 2001 rig placed in him. Might be a little off, because I don't know how to rig at all :S. Hands might also be a little off, but I'm not used to building hands. Thanks to Colin Freeman's Tut for that, even though mine aren't that good. No Smartskinning or Fan Bones applied

I got rid of the beard, because he looks more nerdy without it. Besides Dopey didn't have a beard, and he was a dwarf.

Made a pocket protecter and the Abacus 3000 for him. Neither are rigged.

Now all I have to do is wait for that set of Wegg's.

Let me know what you think. I'll be in bed for a while :)

http://home.wi.rr.com/zaryin/nerdyfinal.jpg

JTalbotski
10-23-2003, 04:38 AM
Zaryin,

I think you perfected the nerdy look! I agree about the beard. Nice job! I love how ugly his ill-matching plaids are together and the way his pants are hiked up real high.

Congrats!

Jim

Zaryin
10-23-2003, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the reply Jim. I said I was going to finish this guy for the contest, win or lose. I got as far as I could with being sick now.

If Wegg is willing to host him after the contest if over I will probably give this guy over to the public just for the hell of it. I'm certain someone can get him rigged alot better than I did.

modernhorse
10-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Hope you're feeling better.

I think a Forrest Gump pose would be perfect here. Ya know, where he places his hands on his hips with the palms on the hips and the thumbs forward?

The skin looks a little too white, particularly on the ears.

I think he is great. Excellent choice of materials. Well done!!

itsjustme
10-23-2003, 04:53 PM
He's looking fantastic! I agree with you, much nerdier without the beard. I think the pale skin suits him, but a little red in the ears couldn't hurt. How did you end up making the plaid?

Hope you feel better soon.

thekamps
11-01-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey!
I have a pair of pants like that! I feel a little insulted...
You've hit it right on. Very Nerdy.
Looks great!

Shazam3D
11-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Very good job. Nice textures and concept. I like the abacus too

:applause:

JM

Zaryin
11-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I wish I could have done more, but I am still having serious problems with my pc so couldn't get to it. I just posted the same final image I have here to the final image post.

Thanks again everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.