PDA

View Full Version : Rendering HQ with Maya

UniqueCharacter
06-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Hello fellow Maya users. I'm still using 2008 because I'm poor, but I suppose not TOO much has changed since then. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out why I cannot render big sized images with either Maya renderer, or Mental Ray. Anything bigger than 4000px causes the render screen to turn yellow and nothing happens, eventually maya will freeze. I tried googling and found some other threads on this site, but they didn't have much information for me. Could it be too much for my CPU? Or is there a way I can work-around the issue. Thanks a mill.

rBrady
06-24-2010, 06:01 AM
What kind of computer are you using? CPU speed only effects speed, you can make the same quality image with a p4 or a dual i7 class machine. The i7 will do it 20x faster, but the quality in the end is exactly the same. Now memory is a different story. The more memory you have the denser your meshes can be, that helps quality. I would say that a 64bit windows or linux setup with 4gb of ram can take you a long ways in 2008. 8gb of ram is much better but you can do amazing work with 4gb.

My biggest piece of advise when it comes to render quality is don't worry about your mesh too much. A mediocre mesh with great textures and great lighting can produce breathtaking images. I just got done watching around 100 demo reels to get a new hire. Most peoples reels really fall down with lighting and compositing.

Aside from some referencing issues I felt 2008 was a pretty good release. I love 2011, but I wouldn't say my images look a whole lot better. Its more workflow improvements over rendering quality. Dont feel that you are limited by 2008.

If you can, post some examples.

UniqueCharacter
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Thank you very much for the quick reply rBrady. I don't have much I can really show you because nothing would render. It would just show a yellow render screen instead of the usual dark blue/purple. I'd just like to try rendering at very high res to see if it looks any cleaner. Also I think doing post-work will look better if I work very HQ. With regards to your recent demo reel watching, if they went to a college like mine (SCAD). They were taught to be specialized to one area of 3D and not to spend much time on others. Which in my opinion, and also considering the current job crisis, was a mistake. But what I've learned, I got from reading tutorials, Maya's help, and reading books on my own time.

Here are my computer's specs incase you can make heads or tails out of what my issue is:

Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo processor (likely problem, it's old)
3 GB physical memory
NVidia 9800GT 1 GB video card (from what I've found it only effects maya hardware)

I really appreciate your time rBrady. Thank you for your help.

bls
06-25-2010, 07:55 AM
For your issue, I think you need a 64 bit OS and more ram.

DutchDimension
06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
That won't help very much if all he's got is 3GB of ram. All of which is perfectly addressable with 32Bit software. It's when you go beyond 3-4GB of Ram that you need 64-bit OS and applications to be able make the most of it.
So to the op, try and get 8+GB of ram in there and upgrade to Windows 7. Should help a bit.

For your issue, I think you need a 64 bit OS and more ram.

UniqueCharacter
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Okay so you guys think it's a memory problem. I thought my extra 2G of ram was pretty nice, but I guess it's not. I've been weary of going to Vista/w7 because I hear bad things about it. But my system is vista-ready. I don't think I'll be able to afford much any time soon, but at least I have a better idea of what the problem is according to you all. Although rBrady said it doesn't matter how good my system is, just that it would take longer. Not sure who is correct on this issue, but you both seem to agree. Thanks for the help with this BLS and DutchDimension. I'll hopefully have the problem resolved someday and will update if I am able to solve the issue.

bls
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
That won't help very much if all he's got is 3GB of ram. All of which is perfectly addressable with 32Bit software. It's when you go beyond 3-4GB of Ram that you need 64-bit OS and applications to be able make the most of it.
So to the op, try and get 8+GB of ram in there and upgrade to Windows 7. Should help a bit.
Windows xp basic or home 32bit doesn't let you use more than 1GB (or 2GB) for any software.
But windows pro and 64bit let you use all ram you have.(4GB limit of course for 32bit).

UniqueCharacter
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Found a small workaround. It still takes a long time, but it works without crashing. I did a batch render of one frame instead of rendering in Maya. Thanks very much for the info. I'll look into upgrading to W7.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.