PDA

View Full Version : Varying glow attributes using layers?

transmoderata
06-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm making a starfield, and I want a variety of glow attributes in the same scene (e.g. different glow colors and more/less pronouced star levels). Glow attributes are global, but I heard somewhere that it's possible to assign different attributes to different layers. There wasn't any more information and I'm not sure the source was even correct. I've tried dividing the stars into layers and applying different attributes to one. The attributes still behaved as global.

Is this possible, and if so, what do I need to do differently? Thanks.

transmoderata
06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
bump

So, no ideas? Is there any way I can acheive a star-point glow like effect without post-processing?

InfernalDarkness
06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Starfields are one things you should do in post. You'd have far more control, and be able to adjust and make changes without having to wait to render!

If you really need to, make your starfield in Photoshop and import the image as a plate or backdrop into Maya.

transmoderata
06-28-2010, 03:13 AM
You're right. I guess I'll be photoshopping the star field, despite my very limited experience in PS. Thanks for the reply.

InfernalDarkness
06-28-2010, 05:54 AM
It'll be good practice for you, as well. Take some public domain high-res images and start going to town. You don't exactly have to do it all from scratch, so long as your sources are clean and you're not stepping on anyone's toes. Maybe paint in some stars and flares here and there, and some gases, and build it up to be dramatic or however you need it. Also, keep the main project file of course (with all layers) so you can tweak it later if necessary. Layer, layers.

To progress in 3D, one needs to also excel in 2D. And Photoshop is a key element in any digital art toolbox. Better learn it too!

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 05:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.