PDA

View Full Version : Advice for those looking for a job (Q & A)

RobertoOrtiz
06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Note this Q& A is for those who are new to CG and SIGGRAPH.
Of course if yo uae industry vet, you should help s more on the
A part of this conversation than the Q...

To get the ball rolling I am going to repost some of the Q& A from previous years .

Question
I have question regarding showreels, is it better to have DVDs with a showreel on it, or is it enough to have a website with all your seperate movies on it? Or should there be a showreel on the site? Right now I only have the stuff on my site, but no showreel.

ANSWER by Malducin:
For looking for a job at SIGGRAPH, yah reels (DVD or tape) are better because employers usuually cart them away and watch them so as to see if an interview might be requested. Although if you're handing out your resume, that should have a link to your online reel/portfolio, so you might as well have it as well.
Question:
Hi,

I am trying to connect with as many people as possible in this field, and am looking for a full time job. I have a demo reel that I am planning on handing out. Now, is it appropriate to have a .mov file of my demo reel on a cd (which is what I planned)? Or does it need to be an actual dvd?

Also, is it sufficient to have a demo reel and hand that out? I've heard people mention handing out resumes? Is there any point in handing out business cards along with a demo reel, and/or resumes as well? Thanks for any insight.

ANSWER by Roberto:
Some tips that have worked like a charm in the past:

Post your reel Online: You tube will do just fine. And post in online galleries like ours.
Do your Homework:
Go to the SIGGRAPH 2010 site and check the names of the companies that will be attending the conference. When yo uhave a good list and go to their websites and check for their job openings. Read the job descriptions and tailor your resume accordingly.
SIGGRAPH IS NOT American Idol (it is more like Survivor):
Send your resume( with a link to your online portfolio), to the companies BEFORE the conference. If you wait until SIGGRAPH it will be too late. And dont forget to put on your resume that you will be available for interview AT THE CONFERENCE.

ANSWER by Malducin

Yeah but most companies will probably accept reels. Pixar might be the exception to the rule.

Question:
As for the physical demo reels, do you think a cd with a .mov file, .pdfs of my resume and demo breakdown, is appropriate?

ANSWER by Malducin
yes but make your CD/DVD playable. For CDs make it a VCD. For DVDs make it a playable DVD with no menu at the beginning. That way they can just put it in and start watching. If it's too much hassle to watch your reel they might as well take it out and put in the next one.

Johnpv
06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Here's a follow up question based on an answer from up there. In regards to sending your reel to companies before Siggraph, how far in advance should you be sending it in? Are we talking a month, 2 months, 2 weeks? I know a lot of people like myself are probably working on new work as long as they can before Sigg.

malducin
06-24-2010, 12:12 AM
What the hell, I don't remember those answer. Was I liquored up Roberto? :beer:

Here's a follow up question based on an answer from up there. In regards to sending your reel to companies before Siggraph, how far in advance should you be sending it in? Are we talking a month, 2 months, 2 weeks? I know a lot of people like myself are probably working on new work as long as they can before Sigg.

Considering there about 1 month till SIGGRAPH, 2 months is now out of the question :-P. I would say 1 month is fine. Check websites of companies you want to apply to (check the Job Fair list and the Exhibition list to get an idea).

But you can continue working on you reel till the last minute anyway. That's what studios get booths and hospitality rooms for, to receive reels.

The only advantage of sending a reel before hand is that if they like it, they might setup an interview for you as soon as you/they get to SIGGRAPH. So be sure to include where and when you'll stay at SIGGRAPH on you reel and portfolio.

Johnpv
06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Appreciate the reply! Reels going out ASAP then.

malducin
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Appreciate the reply! Reels going out ASAP then.

You also get interviews there when you give out reels at SIGGRAPH. Most companies review them during the day and night and setup interviews during the week. If you think you can polish your reel more, work on it and hand them out at SIGGRAPH first days of the Job Fair and Exhibition Floor.

okfir
06-26-2010, 03:30 PM
One of the things I remember from two years ago (I wasnt looking for a job but I saw the guys who did) is RUN LIKE HELL. The moment the exhibition floor doors were open all the people looking for a job started running toward the job fair to get a good spot in line. So maybe all those who are looking for a job should start practice their running skills.

:thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
One of the things I remember from two years ago (I wasnt looking for a job but I saw the guys who did) is RUN LIKE HELL. The moment the exhibition floor doors were open all the people looking for a job started running toward the job fair to get a good spot in line. So maybe all those who are looking for a job should start practice their running skills.

:thumbsup:

This is so true... I call this the "Running of the Nerds".
I would not underestimate the lenght of the lines at the job fair.
It is quite a site to see.

malducin
07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Well the only reason would be to get that out of the way so you can attend other events. It's not like if you miss out first hour of the Job fair you're SOL. And non-peak hours you can get more time to talk to people at booths. Last year the Job Fair was quite accessible (though smallish).

On the other hand the Storming of the Pixar booth was a sight to see.

JennySRP
07-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Just what I was looking for, thanks guys! I am sure, like you said, pixar is a sight to see. I will simply be an observer for that one. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2010, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.