PDA

View Full Version : Advice for first timers (Q & A)

RobertoOrtiz
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi guys, Roberto here:

If you are attending the conference for the first time, this is the place to ask questions:
To get the ball rolling I am going to repost some of the Q& A from previous years .

Question: ( WHAT TO WEAR)
Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Hope to hear some good advice

ANSWER Posted by malducin:

dress casual: jeans, tshirts and sneakers are fine (boy I wish I knew that my first time). Sneakers are the most important, lots of walking.
weather: usually very hot outside in downtown LA though the nights are cool. The convention center is air conditioned. Actually some rooms might be a bit cold, while small crowded rooms might get a bit hot (even with AC). In general it's comfortable though if you're sensitive to cold use long leave shirts or tie a light jacket around your waist.
Electronics: the convention center has wireless access so lots of people carry their laptops around. It's a matter of if you care lugging that extra weigh around.
Food: a bit expensive at the convention center, although if pressed for time it's cnvenient. The food court gets crowded. There are also smaller food spots inside like at the back of the exhibition floor. There are better places to it outside but you'll have to walk. What I usually do is buy snack or cereal bars to eat at lunch time (which is when I usually go to the CAF but we'll see this year), that way I save a lot for lunch and get a good dinner. The hotel I'm staying has breakfast buffet so I usually stuff myself so I don't get that hungry ;-).
Other stuff depends if you're looking for a job: bring enough reels/porfolios/resumes. Also bringing a laptop or small portable DVD player/screen is ideal toshow your work. Bring enough business cards.
Check the online schedule at least to get an idea what you might want to attend.
Other advice depends on what registration category you got, your general plans, when you arrive, etc.

QUESTION:

Hey, i'll be new this year and i was wondering if all of ya'll that have attended before have any advice? Things you wish you would have known or should have brought with you? What is the weather like? (i know its LA but is the confrence center airconditioned?) What about food? Bringing computers or other electronics? Anything else?

Hope to hear some good advice
ANSWER Posted by Titus:
SIGGRAPH is a huge event, there's no way you can do or watch everything. When returning home back from my first SIG (97) I felt like wasted my time and did nothing, that was not true. When you're there go to the "pathfinders" and gather all the information you can have, try to plan all your days according to interests and pick alternatives.

Pale-Face
07-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Hey all, so I've been going over the schedule of whats on, and there is just too much goodness to see in one day. courses overlap with presentations. presentations with other presentations. How do ppl feel if you go to a presentation, say the avatar talk that's on the 1st Sunday but then rock up to the course that is on that same day once the avatar talk is over (but by now will be 2 hours or so into it the course)... is this frowned upon? will there be room? etc?

malducin
07-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey all, so I've been going over the schedule of whats on, and there is just too much goodness to see in one day. courses overlap with presentations. presentations with other presentations. How do ppl feel if you go to a presentation, say the avatar talk that's on the 1st Sunday but then rock up to the course that is on that same day once the avatar talk is over (but by now will be 2 hours or so into it the course)... is this frowned upon? will there be room? etc?

All presentations (courses, talks, papers, etc.) take place in rooms and halls (some pretty big) and people come and go all the time.

The only advice as conference etiquette would be that if you know you're going to coming and going, try to stay near the door or at the ends of a row. Sometimes it's not possible because it's either too full, the room is small etc.

But don't worry about coming in or leaving in the middle of a presentation. Happens all the time and it's not frowned upon.

the other alternative is the Geek Bar.

MagnumCort
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
There is way too much to see in one day / one week. Last year was my first year and I was overwhelmed with choices. My plan this year is to concentrate on the things that wont be included in the DVDs, because those can be reviewed anytime. Presentations given by studios about their recent theatrical releases, for example.

Last year, my company was paying the way, so I didn't worry too much about eating lunch at the convention center. Grab a sandwich and an apple, eat, and then use the breaktime to visit the papers-area, book store, or exhibitions.

New Orleans was extremely hot and muggy, but the convention center was freezing, so there was this buckets-o-sweat/human-popcicle duality of existance to deal with. Bring a sweatshirt. Hopefully, LA wont be as extreme.

I took my "laptop" on the first day. It was a Boxx mobile workstation + power supply, and was a PITA to lug around. It stayed in my hotel room the remainder of the trip. This year, I will take my Macbook Pro, and I suspect I will have it with me most days.

One thing I did right - every night at dinner, I looked through the schedule and figured out what I wanted to see the next day. This minimized the amount of time I spent wandering aimlessly.

malducin
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Last year, my company was paying the way, so I didn't worry too much about eating lunch at the convention center. Grab a sandwich and an apple, eat, and then use the breaktime to visit the papers-area, book store, or exhibitions.

New Orleans was extremely hot and muggy, but the convention center was freezing, so there was this buckets-o-sweat/human-popcicle duality of existance to deal with. Bring a sweatshirt. Hopefully, LA wont be as extreme. ...

One thing I did right - every night at dinner, I looked through the schedule and figured out what I wanted to see the next day. This minimized the amount of time I spent wandering aimlessly.

What I used to do in the old times when I was a poor student was buy things like granola bars and have those for lunch. Saved both on money and time (say go to the old animation theatres at lunch time) and get a good dinner. There were a couple of years when I even bought tetrapack OJs, packed those on my bag and have it for breakfast, so more savings! Nowadays we stay at a hotel with a buffet, so even if it's a bit more expensive we stuff ourselves, usually skip lunch and get some good dinner someplace.

As far as weather at least LA downtown isn't as humid though it can get very hot. I remember one SIGGRAPH when downtown was hitting 105-107 and some people waiting outside for AWGUA were actually fainting. Better check the forecast a couple of days before you leave.

As far as the schedule you can already figure that out. The official site even provides a tool to make a personalized schedule:

SIGGRAPH 2010 My Schedule tool (http://www.siggraph.org/s2010/for_attendees/schedule)

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.