PDA

View Full Version : Category Layout

thatoneguy
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Did the layout just get all reorganized or is my profile's default's all messed up?

The compositing forums are all inside a forum now so I can't have Nuke on my main page which is terribly inconvenient.

Also Apple Shake is in some big "other" category instead of compositing.

leigh
06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
We're currently reshuffling some forums around. The compositing forums don't get much activity (despite people demanding a Nuke forum, it's barely used... what a surprise... not), so they're being lumped together. The reality is that not a lot of compers post here, unfortunately. We're trying to simplify the front page because it's frankly far too big and potentially intimidating to users; on top of that, we constantly have people posting in the wrong forums because the sheer number on the front page causes confusion in many. Part of simplifying the forums means that we're grouping together less active forums, and archiving ones that are getting barely any activity.

thatoneguy
06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
The sorting seems sensible. I had minimized many headings since there were so many. But is it possible to add sub-forums to the main page? Create a sort of user dashboard?

I mostly just follow for instance CG News, General, Max, Max\Maxscript and Compositing\Nuke.

It would be nice if CGSociety developed something like this:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/im_thatoneguy/cgtalk-2-0.jpg

Although the 'your recent threads' feature would probably kill the servers.

salmonmoose
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Frankly no.

:)

We highly cache everything due to the sheer size of our database, so user customization on the forums even if there was some way to do it is a long way off.

Watch this space, however :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.