PDA

View Full Version : Roberto's Bullhorn: Tron Tribute Postmortem: LETíS TALK

RobertoOrtiz
06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
First I wanted to thank all who participated in the last challenge.

I am very happy with the number of finished entries we go so far,
and the high quality of work we got.

I am posting this thread, because I want to keep the number of entries high for the next challenge: FlameThrower (We go live Next week)
So lets talk about the recent mini challenge:

I do want to know:

What did you liked about the last mini challenge?
What you hated?
How could we foment more the community environment?
Would you be interested in challenges with Live action?
Would you like to see more FX artist/ studio spotlights or galleries?
Should we try to do group projects?

How about meeting in person?
Looking forward to your comments.
-R

TheGrak
06-23-2010, 03:37 PM
First, I liked the community encouragement. Second would be the exposure to great artists like Dirk, Kiel, Kay, Grant, Jim, etc.. and visiting all your websites. I must of read through Kiel's tips and tricks about 10 times! :)

What you hated?
I don't think there was anything I hated. Maybe trying to animate 50 seconds in 45 days, but that's my own fault! :p

I think the community aspect of the thread is great so far. There is a lot of talent posting here, and it's always great to hear feedback from everyone. I think the moderators are doing a great job.

Definately! I can help shoot some footage as well, although I wouldn't consider myself to be a profesh cinematographer.

Honestly, I read every interview with any studio or person that makes the frontpage, so, yea! I've picked up all kinds of crazy tricks and ideas from reading interviews, so keep em' coming.

Definately! I think we would need a team leader to keep everyone organized and on track.

It would be cool, but due to the cost of flying/driving, probably not. Folks could skype or iChat, but email works just as well for organizing/communicating on projects.

This challenge was a blast! I learned a lot of stuff from doing it, so I'm looking forward to the next one. Roberto mentioned something about a flamethrower, I can't wait for more details.

KielFiggins
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM
There was a lot of room for interpretation and applying of different skill sets. I mainly do character animation, not vfx's, so this challenge allowed for both. I suppose any project could, but the more simulation based, the more difficult the integration would be.

What you hated?
Really minor, but the exactness of the deadline. I'm used to very explicit deadlines, such as midnight July 14th, kind of deal. But in the end, having the cut off be so abrupt, would be a turn off for most people as it would remind them too much of work. Other then that, I think the competition went smoothly.

Making the voting easier. Looking at the thread, its had almost 4000 views and only 40 replies. If the voting was more poll based instead of reply based, that may make the process more straight forward. More tie in to mainstream appeal, would be great. I believe it was mentioned that the makers of the next Tron movie would be looking at this thread, and that was a huge appeal for me to set aside my current projects and take up this competition. So continuing that idea, if there we're topics like "Flame thrower - guest Reviewer = Someone from the Dante's Infernal team". Some sort of almost celebrity tie in. Giving people more of a hope to have their work seen or commented on by working professionals in a related field.

Yes, I think live action would be an interesting challenge. Though, how the footage is handled, tracked and so on would be important. Camera data would need to be clear and available, as well as tracks for at least max and maya.

I think that'd be good, especially for exposure and public interest.

Group projects work, but only if everyone is the group can be held accountable. From personal experience, this is difficult since these types of projects would be unpaid, meaning that anything from work, personal, or life could easily offset someone effort, causing that entire section of the group to dip.

I have no quams with meeting in person, though, I live in Los Angeles, you're in DC, Grak's in TX. Already cracks in the idea appear. Even on my personal end, the team I used for this tron entry was in Los Angeles (East and West side), San Diego, Detriot, Orlando.

grantmoore3d
06-24-2010, 01:36 AM
It was a fun topic and allowed for enough creative freedom that you could really create almost anything you wanted so long as the style fit.

What you hated?
I wouldn't say I "hated", but if there are challenges that allow for teams VS individuals, it would be nice to have two distinct categories come vote time. Not that I really care about who/what wins, just having it made a little more obvious would be nice.

I don't have any ideas at the moment.

Absolutely yes! Either we must film it ourselves (longer challenge) or if we are provided footage.

Honestly I don't read any of the spotlights, but it couldn't hurt for those who are interested.

Group projects are difficult, but I would certainly enjoy a 4-month, yearly massive CGTalk project which would attempt to get all sorts of people on board.

Personal funds are a little lacking at the moment, but it would be fun to get together at a big event that many of us might already be going to.

Dirk Bialluch
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Doing mostly programming jobs and less artistic work I was really glad about a technically interesting challange that allowed us to work with clean, shiny computer graphics instead of complex simulations or scenes where you also have to focus on texturing and lighting.

Getting feedback from impressive artists like Garrick and Kiel was great. That's a nice way to learn how to improve things, especially when being a technical person.

What you hated?
This is the very first CGTalk contest I participated in and I think everything was fine. Just the final post-based voting was a little strange. I guess we would have gotten more total votes, if it had been anonymous by just clicking a vote button.

Don't know.

Personally, I have barely time to join challanges. Working with live action footage would be cool though and I guess there are quite some people out there that want to give it a try. When doing such a challange it would be best to provide the footage, because not everyone may have access to proper recording hardware.

Don't know.

This only works if you can rely on each member in that group and you do not have to work with egomaniacs that just want to do their own thing. Kay's entry e.g. had to be cancelled because most team members stopped working on the project leaving him rather frustrated with a great pile of work. His last comment: "Next challange I'll do it on my own again."

I guess traveling distances will make this difficult. Today we have lots of online communication tools, that make it quite easy to manage things.

Cheers,
Dirk

MaloScott
06-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Hey all. My team and I had a great time competing with all of you. There is some good talent here and it was our honor to compete.

Some of the team have followed the FXWars over the years, but none of us had competed before. When the Tron theme came up, we couldn't resist the chance to make a Tron related animation. If fact this short fx challenge has us focused on a longer animation. So overall it was all about Tron.

What you hated?
Nothing really. More time but that will always be the case, right? We're artists.

You do a good job already. Most of us are busy with work so it is harder to be active. Look at me, I've visited this site since the early 2000's and this is the first time I've ever posted on here. Hopefully, I will be more active now that I'm involved.

Yes. Very interested.

Sure, not as important though.

Sure but this will be harder. As a manager of art teams, it can work, but having people physically working together is so much easier. It can work though.

Sure, but I think time and money ends up being the downside here. I'm sure that most of our everyday lives will get in the way. But meeting up at something like Siggraph is a good possibility. I'm guessing that many of us go to this conference.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2010, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.