PDA

View Full Version : recording actions

Daz
09-19-2003, 09:17 PM
hmmm i feel a little embarresed asking this because i'm generally a pretty repected photoshop user, i've heard people say you can actually record things you do with filters and the like and replay it later with hot keys, how is this done?, also is it usefull? i mean each time I make something the settings are never the same, everything must be tweaked to its peak..

Stroker
09-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, it can be done with Actions.
View > Actions

Actions are great for cutting down on grunt work. If you are going to be doing the same steps bunches of times, just record an Action and let it do the grunt work for you.

Another thing you can do is set the Modality. This allows variation in the steps. If a certain step has a dialog box, then it will pop up for input. For example, Gaussian Blur or a Curves Adjustment Layer. Otherwise, the Action will use the settings entered when the Action was recorded.

Yes, you can assign an Action to a hotkey.

You can even run a batch on a folder using File > Automate > Batch with a recorded Action. This is good for thumbnails and such.

Actions are good.
Do some RTFM and get to know them.
I know they have made my PSing easier.

jbw
09-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Actions huh. Yeah they're blimin' useful - use 'em at work all the time but not with filters! I use them for:
Saving different file types - I setup actions to save as different file types (jpeg,png,gif,bmp etc) then assign hotkeys and set dialog on. Saves having to use drop down box when processing and sending sample work for signing off. Useful for batch processing also!

Setting image sizes - Most of the software interfaces I design must end up at 640x480 so another use alot action!

Others include flatten layers, next & previous documents, save selection (instant alpha channels!!!), render type layer blah blah blah blah.

Basically anything that I do/use alot has it's own action.

ta,
jbw

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.