PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man alley animation WIP

InfoManiac
06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Helly everyone,

After a while doing Iron Man animations, I'm giving Spidey another shot... here's what I came up with....8 secs of animation in, roughly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f5Up3kGFU

(I've uploaded it in 720p, so make sure to check that one out)

I've made this whole thing in Maya, rendered in Mentalray. One thing very important to note is that I've reused the final gather map from the first frame in all of them. That's why Spider-Man is darker than he should be towards the end of the animation. This is a known issue and I've done this simply to speed up render times !!

Animation comments & critiques are always welcome... I intend to keep this thread updated as I continue animating this shot :).

Low-res image preview:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2180393/spiderPreview.jpg

bonkanailios
06-22-2010, 01:18 AM
The staging could be better, right now he is doing something dynamic in a neat looking environment but in a really kind of... oldschool longshot.
Why would you do this in a longshot? I think the animation itself is pretty solid. Might look a little more intentional if he landed on the car then lept up onto the wall behind him.

That fire escape looks promising, that might be fun to play with?
Good job so far though!

InfoManiac
06-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Ok, here's an update

This is a relatively rough animation test. I was mostly concerned with timing and pace... the movement still needs a bit of polish, I know. Also, render quality is considerably lower in this one, that's also a 'known issue' to keep render times as low as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caG4TrEMqUo

As always, comments are welcome

Khare
06-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey Bernardo, great job on the animation, I think the first jump in particular looks awesome. I noticed some things on the two jumps following that you could consider fixing though so I thought I'd just give you my two cents.

On the jump when he jumps from the wall and outwards to swing himself up it sort of looks like he's going straight out, I'm not sure if that is because of the angle of the camera but it comes off as unnatural, you should consider checking if the jump is following an arc. On the swing upward following the jump the rope (or web) he's using to swing himself should straighten once he hits the lowest point, else it gives an unnatural feeling of weight as it seems like the body is really light. On the last jump perhaps you could space it a little closer in the high of the jump to give a slightly more feeling of weight.

Thats all I got. Keep working and it will look amazing! :)

InfoManiac
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi, thanks for the tips.

I'll work on those issues..the web thing is sort of complicated. I couldn't get it to work using nCloth and so I'm using just plain old Hair system. Problem is hair isn't flexible, which is why it's bending. (My arc isn't perfect as well but that jump is probably physically impossible).

Anyway, I'll keep improving it and posting updates here. Thanks !

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.