PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Schlitzy

JTalbotski
09-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Here's a first go' round at a character sketch for my (hiccup!)...dwarf, Schlitzy (hiccup!).

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzy.jpg

modernhorse
09-19-2003, 09:32 PM
HA ! I shoulda done Piel-sey ... I knew it.

Looks great.

kikiriki
09-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Drunk mine-goblin in underwear!?!? This is just pervert! ;-)

Looks great so far!

Zaryin
09-19-2003, 11:06 PM
LOL! Well, there goes on e of my ideas, haha. Still have a few I will think through.

By the way Jim, nice sketch. Wish I could draw like that.

JTalbotski
09-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by kikiriki
Drunk mine-goblin in underwear!?!? This is just pervert! ;-)

Looks great so far!

Oh, man. I didn't even think of Perk, but now that's all I see when I look at my character sketch.

Oh, well. Time for another idea.

Jim

kikiriki
09-20-2003, 02:15 AM
Oh, no, no! Please don't do that! (my big mouth :-(( )

Character is great and doesn't resemble to Perk at all!

Drunk Disney's Character puts whole thing in entirely different perspective (politically very incorrect- that's why I like the idea even more :-)). I would really love to see how this character will evolve.

Please continue!

JTalbotski
09-20-2003, 04:12 AM
kikiriki,

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I changed the sketch, mostly his clothes and I feel it's different enough from Perk that I can live with it. I'll look at it again tomorrow and see what I think.

I'm glad you mentioned mine-goblin. It would have been awful to start this character and worse to finish it and THEN see the similarities with Perk.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzy2.jpg

Zaryin
09-20-2003, 04:52 AM
Frankly I like both of your designs. The new one has a tattoo though, that's what's makes it better :).

My Fault
09-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Either of these would make a sweet model. I had started to do my own drunk version, Belchy, but he pales next to Schlitzy. Can't wait to see more!

Drakkheim
09-20-2003, 05:53 AM
I love it.

hehe put a NRA logo on his hat, give him a lit cigarette and a shotgun and you have a quintessential redneck dwarf

Hookflash
09-21-2003, 01:25 AM
Wow, very cool:thumbsup: I especially like the Disneyish style (something I'll never be able to emulate).

hoochoochoochoo
09-22-2003, 01:21 PM
no need to worry about Perk style resemblances jim, there ain't none physically except (two arms + legs, head, male etc etc.)

we're all making mine goblins I believe.

I just have a feeling that's a self portrait or it explains some of your self-contradictory posts.... ouch! is that fighting talk?

JTalbotski
09-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hoochoochoochoo

I just have a feeling that's a self portrait or it explains some of your self-contradictory posts.... ouch! is that fighting talk?

Well, I admit I look like that sometimes, but not from drinking. Just my own natural good looks.:p

Jim

JTalbotski
09-22-2003, 06:50 PM
I went back to my sketch and changed a few things. I didn't like the shirtless look, so I gave him some old long underwear and made him a little more likeable. He's a cheerful drunk, right up until he spews on your rug.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzy3.jpg

Now I gotta start modeling.

Jim

Hookflash
09-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah, he's definately more likeable now. I like it alot:thumbsup:

Zaryin
09-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Now I love that. That works!

hoochoochoochoo
09-23-2003, 08:33 AM
I didn't like the shirtless look, so I gave him some old long underwear and made him a little more likeable.

:beer:

Schlitzy really works now. The semi-redneck look seemed very out of place.

itsjustme
09-23-2003, 03:44 PM
He's perfect! I liked the first two, but the third drawing really nails it. Makes me think of a Disney-esque version of Otis the drunk on the Andy Griffith Show.

John Keates
09-23-2003, 09:18 PM
That is a realy fantastic sketch that you have there. Great character and feeling for material and form. Can't wait to see it modelled.

JTalbotski
09-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the comments! I couldn't wait to see it modeled either so I found a few hours today. And here's what I have so far.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/shlitzy-wire.jpg

I like the motivation of this contest!

Jim

Hookflash
09-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Damnit, Jim! That's a very good likeness of your sketch so far. What's your secret? Do you work in the CG industry by chance?

JTalbotski
09-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Hookflash. I don't work in the 3D industry, but I do work in what I guess you could call the 2D industry.

I'm an freelance illustrator mainly in the children's product field: games and toys packaging and some children's books.

Here's a sketch I did just to help me understand the form of my character better before I started modeling. It makes it easier to get the splines going in the right direction right away, even though I didn't follow the sketch exactly. (The sketch wasn't even a well thought out plan, but it helped.)

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/mesh-sketch.jpg

Thanks,
Jim

itsjustme
09-24-2003, 03:17 AM
You're still batting a thousand! He's gonna be great. Man, I like your method...if only my drawing skills were half as good.

zandoria
09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim,
Great character and suberb modeling(as always). I want to get started too!

modernhorse
09-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Now why didn't i ever think of drawing out the splines first?!
Must try that on my dwarf. Thanks for the insight. He looks swell so far.

zandoria
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by modernhorse
Now why didn't i ever think of drawing out the spines first?!

Man--ya gotta plan your splines! I've found a great excercise for modeling is just to take a felt-tip pen to my wifes Victoria's Secret catalogs. I just draw splines on the model, planing what curves I need to create the shape. As you spline over different poses in the catalogs you get a good feel for what kind of splines you will need to cover the range of motion too!:lightbulb

hoochoochoochoo
09-24-2003, 06:26 PM
beautiful modelling Jim, this is going really well.

JTalbotski
09-25-2003, 03:12 AM
Thanks guys! I made a little more progress today on Schlitzy. I gave him his hat and eyeballs and tweaked the face mesh a bit. The colored groups are temporary just to see how it could look in color.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzy4.jpg

Drakkheim
09-25-2003, 03:30 AM
cool! Can't wait to see more!
:beer: Makes me wanna go grab a beer and a nap.

JTalbotski
09-26-2003, 04:48 AM
Here's an update on some more progress. I'm still trying to figure out how I will handle the beard. Model it with patches or try the hair guides?

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzy5.jpg

itsjustme
09-26-2003, 08:58 AM
He's looking fantastic and you're knocking him out at a fast clip! The hair could be done either way or in combination...the stubble would probably be easier as a hair material though.

modernhorse
09-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Beautiful work so far. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck i'm doing in this challenge. Holy moley!! Back to work. :eek:

John Keates
09-26-2003, 04:39 PM
I think that you should try hair guides all the way. They would be a good test and I think that hair (as opposed to geometry) would suit your sketch much better. You could use guides for the long hair and a material for the stubble. Good luck.

JTalbotski
09-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Okay, you convinced me. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Jim

JTalbotski
09-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Here's a spin of Schlitzy. I had to add the butt flap!

spin (http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzyspin2.mov)

(Sorenson codec required)

Thanks,
Jim

John Keates
09-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Beautiful stuff there Jim (as per usual). I realy like the detail on the clothes at the front. It would be nice to see some of that wrinklyness on the hat at the back as well. Can't wait for more.

My Fault
09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
You just have to keep raising the bar don't ya! :beer:

pequod
09-26-2003, 09:20 PM
What a terrific model Jim, well done!
His proportions are perfect for a Disney character, and I mean that as a complement. I can just picture him at the end of the Snow White film, stumbling out from behind a closet, empty bottle in hand, wondering what the hell is going on.
I have to agree with John, add some little folds on his cap where it flops down.

iii-d
09-26-2003, 09:38 PM
lovely model.
the face really looks cute.
only things i have to crit so far. the hat needs some wrinkles and the heel of the left foot looks a bit odd to me.

i guess you used porcellain on this model?

i wonder how you´re gonna rig the dwarf. "fat" caracters tend to be bit harder to animate. do you use weight-mover? i have very good results with it. especially with thumbs and their complex mesh movement.

JTalbotski
09-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I value your feedback and will try to make the changes where I can. I agree about the wrinkles and folds.

iii-d,

I don't have porcelain on the model yet. I may put it on later to get rid of the untweakable spots. I've heard some good things about WeightMover, but I don't have it yet. I'll see what I can accomplish just with the 2001 rig and some smartskin.

Thanks again,
Jim

P.S. Hey pequod, why aren't you participating? :)

John Keates
09-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by JTalbotski

P.S. Hey pequod, why aren't you participating? :)

Whilst were on the subject, where is Wegg? Maybe he is sizing up the competition and getting ready to leap?

pequod
09-27-2003, 01:11 PM
P.S. Hey pequod, why aren't you participating?

Hey, I'd really like to join in the dwarfy fun, I just don't feel I have enough time to do the competition justice.
Cool, my avatar works!

JTalbotski
09-27-2003, 02:27 PM
I lucked out this week and got quite a bit of time to spend on my dwarf. Probably in the next week my progress will slow considerably. But I've really liked the sharing of sketches and WIPs, it's very motivating.

Jim

dagooos
09-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Wow, nice model! Looks like he could have just stepped out of a Disney book.

JTalbotski
09-29-2003, 02:50 AM
Thanks, dagooos!

I may have found a bug or I'm just doing something wrong. I tried adding the beard using hairguides, but the hair always rendered as black.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzyhairguides.jpg

So I modeled the beard as geometry. When I added stubble to his face it would only render as black. I pumped up the ambience and the specular, no luck.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzybeard.jpg

Anybody able to render hair or hairguides as a different color?
edit: I'm using Mac A:M 10.5J

Jim

hoochoochoochoo
09-29-2003, 08:48 AM
wow great model Jim!

love the proportions - he really does have that Disney style doesn't he?

saw your question about my dwarf's whiskers...

i feel your pain....

JBarrett
09-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Awesome work, Jim! This guy's turning out wonderful! :thumbsup:

JTalbotski
09-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks, hoochoochoochoo and Justin!

Yahoo! I reinstalled 10.5J and now the hair renders as it should. So Schlitzy took that as a signal to celebrate.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzybottles.jpg

I'm thinking of doing the beard with hair guides, now that the hair renders okay. I'm not sure if I like the stuck on, sidewalk santa look of the modeled beard.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

Drakkheim
09-29-2003, 05:44 PM
man that's looking nice.

I really like the effect that the stubble has.
maybe just get rid of the santa blob and give him more stubble.

how about chest hair, make it all clumpy and kinky?

zandoria
09-29-2003, 06:08 PM
looks great! I think that now that you've got the hair color working that you should use the fur instead of the modeled hair...:thumbsup:

itsjustme
09-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow! Fantastic! :applause:

I agree, the fur would probably be better for the beard.

dagooos
09-30-2003, 01:12 AM
I vote for using hair for beard and I can wait to animate this guy! I can see him now stumbling around drinking those beers passing out, belching....hehe

JTalbotski
09-30-2003, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I agreed with you, so I spent some time working on the particle beard. Right now it's just following the patch shapes, but I plan on using decals to control the length and thickness of the hair. I like it much better than the modeled beard.

I like the idea of chest hair, too. That may be next.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzynewbeard.jpg

John Keates
09-30-2003, 01:15 PM
That hair is looking better allready. With maps controlling it, it will look realy good. I agree that chest hair would also be a good idea. Maybe even hand and foot hair (or perhaps that could be a flat decal). Don't forget to turn dynamics off for the shorter hair.

How did you draw the logo on the beer by the way? I noticed some similarly professional looking text on your 2D illustrations. Do you use special software or something?

JTalbotski
09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi John,

Thanks. I was thinking about foot hair, too. Maybe a little hobbit-ish, but it would look cool.

For the beer bottle label I just grabbed an image from this site:

beer labels (http://www.angelfire.com/wi/beercans/label2.html)

and applied it to the model after changing it to a tga file.

In my 2D illos, I usually create the type in Freehand and import it into Photoshop as an eps, to incorporate it into my illo.

Jim

John Keates
09-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Oh!! I didn't realise that Schiltzy was a real beer.:blush: I am English you see. Oh, one more thing, have you tried the glossy shader from Toon-nation? It would work realy well on the bottles (I think). He also has a shader that works well for skin (less plasticy)

3DArtZ
09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey Jim that looks so good. I'm really shocked that the hair/beard came out so well!
Have to take a closer look at that feature...
Great work!
Mike Fitz

JTalbotski
09-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by John Keates
Oh!! I didn't realise that Schiltzy was a real beer.:blush: I am English you see. Oh, one more thing, have you tried the glossy shader from Toon-nation? It would work realy well on the bottles (I think). He also has a shader that works well for skin (less plasticy)

Hey, John. The real name of the beer is Schlitz (the beer that made Milwaukee famous). It's the first beer I ever drank too much of... and suffered the consequences.:drool: :blush:

I'm not sure if Andy's shaders work for the Mac, but I'll check. I do plan on texturing the skin and clothes. Right now they're just colored groups.

Jim

JTalbotski
09-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by 3DArtZ
Hey Jim that looks so good. I'm really shocked that the hair/beard came out so well!
Have to take a closer look at that feature...
Great work!
Mike Fitz

Thanks, Mike. The hair came out even better than I thought it would. It does slow down the render considerably, though.

Jim

modernhorse
09-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey Jim -
In homage to your youth, you should model the beer steins next!

*edit* out of curiousty I just checked and oops, those were characters for Utica Club (a brewery in Utica, NY practically in my back yard). So scratch that.

JTalbotski
10-01-2003, 02:44 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzytextures.jpg

Here's an update on Schlitzy. I've been adding some textures to him. I want him to look real enough that he matches the level of reality that the bottles have (not that they are very real, but that's just the level that I'm aiming for).

The long-underwear is textured with a photo image that Marcel Bricman is hosting on his site. Look for microtextures here:

http://www.kci-group.com/z/

The hat uses the soft texture he also created.

I applied them as patch images and I still have several patches that need the image to be rotated. Hands and feet aren't textured yet.

I've had one crash since I've started working on this. ONE! That was because I tried to paste in geometry when I had porcelain applied to the model. I can only recommend as Wegg also shared, save after everything you do. And save progressive versions along the way. I'm also using the part of A:M that I am most comfortable and familiar with: the modeling and texturing. I suppose I've been trained to avoid certain things that might cause a crash, but 10.5J and now 10.5K seem very solid to me.

Here's a larger version to see the textures a little better.
bigger image (http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzytexturesbig.jpg)

Jim

3DArtZ
10-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Jim this model is really turning out A+!
I almost want to reach intot he monitor with a razor and give this guy a shave!!!
but crit, with much respect to the work....
I know the look you are going for with the nose materials..... it just doesn't look right to me. Like the little red veins just sort of look kinda like how marble veins would look, sort of painted on.
Ya know?
Great work no matter
Mike Fitz

JTalbotski
10-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Mike! You're right. I tried to get the broken blood vessel look. But I applied just one decal to the face and when I flattened the mesh, I had to make the nose smaller so it wouldn't overlap the rest of the face. The result is that the decal just stretched out and blurred when the model is rendered normally. I'll have to create a separate decal for the nose and also add a bump map to the veins.

Jim

pequod
10-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Jim,

He's really coming alive now, in fact he's looking quite tragic!:sad:
I know the straggly strands of hair coming down from his forehead add to his disheveled look, but somehow I think they detract from his round forms. Maybe it's the dark crisp shadows the hair is casting that's making the hair look out of place. I guess making the hair in general, finer and increasing the density would allow the hair to look softer but at the cost of ruinous render times.
Those patch images work really well, I've avoided them in the past believing they increase render times, I wonder if that is still true?
Oh, the eyebrow hair could be a tad thicker IMHO.

It's fascinating watching him evolve, thanks!

JTalbotski
10-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks! You know, I really haven't been happy with those long hairs either. I mainly put them in , like you said, to enhance the disheveled look, but to add a degree of greasy-ness, like he hasn't wash in a week or two or three. I might render him out without them and see.

The eyebrows do need to be thicker or denser. Maybe match the beard a little better. Right now the eyebrow hairs are growing out of separate patches inside the head that are shaped like an eyebrow. I haven't gotten to the property driving decals yet.

I think the patch images do slow the renders down, but I'm not sure how much.

Thanks for your feedback. It's fun making him evolve!

Jim

Primus
10-01-2003, 06:41 PM
:applause: beautiful work! You made my day and/or night.

Zaryin
10-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Hey Jim, that is just looking scary now, lol. I think the nose might be a little too red. Maybe if you blended the color more with the facial color...?

I would also like to state that I am in Milwaukee right now, born and bred, and I think Miller is what makes this city a king, but I'm not a booze hound like Schlitzy :).

modernhorse
10-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Well I'm from Fulton, NY which had a HUGE Miller brewery until about 10 years ago. No one drinks Miller around here any more. Its BUD.

Zaryin
10-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Bud isa beer we drink around here too. Maybe we can get Schlitzy to decide... but I see he's passed out in the corner, nevermind :)

JTalbotski
10-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Schlitzy never met a beer he didn't like!

:beer:

Jim

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 04:36 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzyfinal.jpg

Hi all,

Here's a new render of Schlitzy. I reworked some textures and added some new ones. I added the property driving decals for the beard, eyebrows and stomach hair. And I got the nose looking a little more like I wanted it. I think I'm pretty close to rigging him, unless any of you see something that doesn't look right. Let me know!

Thanks,
Jim

Zaryin
10-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Um, I think you are probably done :). It is looking awesome, so awesome in fact that I have to say, "YOU SUCK!", haha.

itsjustme
10-08-2003, 06:07 AM
He's definitely ready to rig! The texturing finished him off nicely!:buttrock:

Drakkheim
10-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Wow, lookin great!

If I had to nitpick,
The sock is reading a bit slow to me and maybe just a little like a potato or yam. Maybe put a seam along it or maybe a patch from where he wore it through and had snow white fix it or stripes or something to break up the grayness of it.

asides from that He's ready to rock.

-drakk

hoochoochoochoo
10-08-2003, 08:53 AM
The beard is really starting to work great! Jim, love the red-eye like he's bashed himself in the eye while drunk (and the effects of alcohol)

Is that hair under the hat or eyebrows?

Great work though!

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys!

You're right, I never did much with the sock/shoe. I'll work on that!

Those are eyebrows, but I think I need to tweak them some more and pull them away from the hat a bit.

Thanks for the comments, help and advice!

Jim

pequod
10-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Gosh! he's such a perfect little model Jim, and always getting better. I reckon he's done as far as texturing and modelling are concerned.
Actually, there is still one remaining issue, you've guessed it, those eyebrows. There are perhaps too many gaps between the strands of hair. It reminds me of small pieces of string stuck to his brow. Maybe a white-ish decal placed underneath so the skin tones poking through don't look too obvious. Although, it will probably be more advisable to simply adjust the density or thickness of the eyebrow hair.
I've been playing with the new hair features in v11 alpha, lots of control, but difficult to get the look you're after. Last time I attempted to use Hash hair was in v8.5, it's certainly come a long way!

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Stephen! I went back and made some more tweaks to the eyebrows. I made them less stringy and long. And I made some BIG tweaks to the slipper/sock/shoe.:p

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzynewfinal.jpg

My Fault
10-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Phenomenal!!!! :beer:

pequod
10-08-2003, 05:24 PM
LOL :applause: nice touch!

Anymore surprises?

John Keates
10-08-2003, 05:32 PM
FANTASTIC! Can't wait to see him animated.

Zaryin
10-08-2003, 06:01 PM
HAHA! That is hilarious! You were right to change the eyebrows. They look way better.

hoochoochoochoo
10-08-2003, 06:18 PM
hey! wondered where my other slipper had gone!

Lovely stuff!

Grgeon
10-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Any chance of seeing a wireframe?

It's looking great dude. :thumbsup:

George

Wegg
10-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Holy crap thats looking good. I haven't even had time to start mine. :-( Damn this whole system of paying bills. . .

zandoria
10-08-2003, 09:10 PM
You are the master!:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Aww, pshaw! You guys are just waiting to overwhelm us with your models. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Jim

JTalbotski
10-08-2003, 10:54 PM
George,

Here's a shadedwireframe screen capture.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/shlitzyfinalwire.jpg

itsjustme
10-09-2003, 05:05 AM
I spoke too soon....he's even better now!:bowdown:

Grgeon
10-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Wow! You have great use of splines. very simple, yet effective. Did you learn on your own?

Really great job man.

George

My Fault
10-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Jim takes performance enhancing supplements to be that good. 20mg of splineabol a day :p

JTalbotski
10-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Grgeon
Wow! You have great use of splines. very simple, yet effective. Did you learn on your own?

Really great job man.

George

Thanks! I did a few tutorials when I first got A:M (back in v5), specifically the Skylark tute by Jeff Lew. Since then just about all I've done with A:M is model and texture characters, so I was bound to improve at least a little.

To me, animating is HARD to do. Maybe if that's all I did with A:M for 5 or 6 years I could improve at that, too. But right now I leave that to those who know how to do it.

(Oops, time to take my splineabol capsule.)

Thanks to all who've commented,
Jim

JTalbotski
10-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Here's a render of Schlitzy in a pose to test the rig that I have put in him. It's the 2001 rig with fan bones added here and there. No smartskin yet. I think I may need to rework the legs a bit. The way they attach to the torso is a little problematic. Plus they are SHORT and don't bend very nicely yet.

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzyrig.jpg

Jim

Grgeon
10-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Wow, looking great JT.

Did you texture the skin? or is it a procederal texture?

George

JTalbotski
10-13-2003, 07:53 PM
George,

The skin is done with decals. The only procedural textures I usually use are the hair particle systems. Everything else is either colored groups or decals.

Thanks,

Jim

John Keates
10-13-2003, 09:49 PM
He he, he has loads of character. I realy like his nose too.

Have you tried using the oren neyar shader on his clothes? I find that it gives a nice soft feel.

That is the only suggeston that I can think of to make.

Zaryin
10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Jim this is fantastic. I haven't even finished my guy's body yet *sigh*.

cyberdan
10-14-2003, 10:36 PM
This is really amazing stuff. I just wish his nose weren't so shiny. Something about it being shiny disturbs me. And I know I'm just being picky but the bottle material doesn't feel like glass. Maybe I've never been happy with the way a:m renders glass.
What am I talking about?!?! Jim, you rock! Your meshes are saweet! Love the slipper, clothes, face, facial hair, hat, facial expression, and bad breath. Oh, I'd love to see drunky in a real environment.
-Dan

JTalbotski
10-15-2003, 01:19 AM
cyberdan,

I think you're right, his nose is a little too shiny. I have it as shiny as his wet lips and he probably should be more dehydrated-looking since that's what alcohol does to you.

I haven't put much effort into the bottle texture, but I'll see what I can do to improve it.

Thanks for the crits. I want it to be as good as it can be.

Jim

JTalbotski
10-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Here's a new look at Schlitzy with his rig a little farther along. I really don't like rigging! It's very frustrating. (Maybe that's why I never animate anything.)

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/SCHLITZY-POSED.jpg

modernhorse
10-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim -
That is simply marvelous!! I LOVE IT!!!!! Great pose and my oh my the texturing is .... man I'm speechless. Congrats on a job very well done so far. So far, thats funny. Like, how much further can you go?!

hoochoochoochoo
10-20-2003, 04:12 PM
wonderful quality Jim! :thumbsup:

Gotta........... get.......... me............ some......... time.............. to.............. catch.............. up..................!

by the way, did you do anything about the length of his legs?

JTalbotski
10-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks!

Yes, I did lengthen his legs a little. That helped make his legs a little more managable, but the knees still have a tendency to bend the wrong way. Still working on that.

Oops. I just noticed some patch images that aren't rotated the right direction.

Jim

Natess44
10-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Cool dwarf! :) My sister hates the hat though. She says it needs more texture, like a tear or a stain or something that is kinda scruffy. So it fits the rest of his outfit. :D She loves him though. :love:

JTalbotski
10-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Hmmm... I'll see what I can do.

Jim

Obnomauk
10-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Yowzer Jim!

other than the patch images on the leg that need rotating I think this is a real show stopper of a piece. The bunny slipper is PRICELESS!

the bottle might need an environment map to make it look reflective (some condensation wouldn't hurt either.) transparency will be troublesome since there is no background to refract.... but once he is in a set that should work fine!

Hmmm set? set... Wegg? Weeeeeeeeeeeggggg?

-David Rogers

thekamps
10-20-2003, 07:29 PM
I'll finally say something on this one ...(and right back at ya) "my favorite entry so far!"

I really look forward to the updates and to be able to see how it progresses. They just keep getting better and better. You have truely mastered Animation Master modeling and texturing. I hope I can become half as good.

itsjustme
10-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Other than the minor problem you're fixing...spectacular! I'm sure you're going to make me wish I had waited to say that since it's just going to get more amazing. He's top notch all the way around.

JTalbotski
10-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Here's an update to Schlitzy, with an enviroment map applied to the bottle and Schlitzy's clothes grunged up a bit.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/schlitzypatches.jpg

3DArtZ
10-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi Jim, looks great. getting so much better with each new version. I am loving the messy spots on his clothes. But now I am thinking that the bunny slipper is in too good condition for this guy. Maybe one of the eyes on the bunny slipper could be hanging from a thread, and some dirty spots too. Just a suggestion. top notch no matter
Mike Fitz

Natess44
10-21-2003, 03:52 PM
He looks alot better. :D Almost real.

John Keates
10-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Wow! Looking pretty spectacular now. I think that I agree with 3d Artz though, that slipper would look good messed up a bit. The only other things that I can say are that the right foot maybe needs some of the texture work that the hands have (some redness) and perhaps the bunny could be posed on a bit of an angle.

You know, it is getting pretty hard for us "competition" to push on now and finish. It is a good job that dwarfs and father christmas can look so similar as I might give that christmas competition a go.

cyberdan
10-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Brilliant! I love everything about Schlitzy. I'd like to pre-order the Schitzy action figure so I can display it in my cubicle at work. For now I'll just have to hang up a color print. sigh...

Cheers,
Dan

Zaryin
10-24-2003, 07:37 PM
I think you should leave the slipper alone. I like the contrast with that.

JTalbotski
11-01-2003, 02:59 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~talbotj/SCHLITZY-FINAL.jpg

Well, here's Schlitzy at the photographers for his final image photo shoot, but the set hadn't arrived. He got a little impatient, downed a few beers and wandered out the back door and hasn't been seen since.

I guess I'll have to use this as my final image.;)

It was fun working on Schlitzy as everyone else was working on their own dwarves. It's very inspiring and helpful when you work with others to reach a goal as we encourage and advise each other.

Thanks to all the other contestants and everyone who commented on Schlitzy.

Jim

Shazam3D
11-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Lights, textures and materials, pose, and a charismatic character; all perfect!!! I love it, excellent work.

JM

Pablo
11-01-2003, 11:22 AM
this is one of the best work I've ever seen done in A:M.
Everything is perfekt!! Now you have to update your HP
But I'm not sure if a bum would be the correct sign/mascot for a product like A:M :-)

Wegg
11-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Sorry about the set. I couldn't get to it.

Maybe next time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.