PDA

View Full Version : Maths for CG tutorials: what would you like?

playmesumch00ns
09-19-2003, 06:15 PM
'm thinkin of writing a series of tutorials covering maths for CG (vectors and matrices, coordinate systems, useful functions, noises, illumination and rendering calculations etc), centering probably on Maya and Renderman. So it would probably encompass some MEL, Maya API programming and RSL too.

What I wanted to ask was, is this something people would like to see, if so, what sort of subjects would you like explained?

sept94
09-19-2003, 09:06 PM
I would like to know more about shading equations.
I have been reading some papers about shading, but i have no idea how to convert those notations and equations(intergal. differentiation ,etc) to programming codes as my math and physics background are very weak.

CIM
09-19-2003, 11:28 PM
I want to see the stuff explained and presented in a relevant way. All books or tutorials I've come across bascially just spit out math mumbo-jumbo, without showing examples of it being applied to graphic/game programming (what we actually want to do).

So, basically tutorials going over the "What" and more importantly the "Why" would be great.

Labuzz
09-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Same thing for me!
Give us "real life" examples! Maya and renderman are really good choices by the way.
Tks a lot, this can be very helpful!
I would like to see something on matrices and Coordinate systems
:)

UrbanFuturistic
09-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Ooooh yes! I'm trying to get to grips with Renderman at the mo' and I'd love some shader stuff! Maybe I'll be able to incorporate something into my final year project :D

regards, Paul

rendermaniac
09-21-2003, 01:38 AM
I'll be really nasty and say you should explain gamma and anti-aliasing ;) It might be worth giving some examples of where and why you would use these too.

Simon

ggg
09-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Along with the vector, matrices etc math, an explanation of how a renderer works, some shader examples, and some 3D space math examples.
And starting from the simple, to intemediate to advanced.
Most of the books are very complex, or start out with one simple chapter then jump into the complex for the rest of the book assuming you now have a major in math from reading one basic chapter :rolleyes:

(PS any general explainations that don't require Maya and mel and could be converted to any app would also be appreciated. or an explaination of whats going on in the use of mel and maya so it could be translated by the user)

Good Luck with your tutorials!

artistx
10-14-2003, 05:10 AM
I agree with Labuzz. Matrix math is a good thing to cover. Vectors are also a good thing to cover. Tell us artists why matrices work, not just what they end up achieving. This is not an easy thing to do. An animation describing how a basic phong shader works with rendering would be nice. For example, have an animation where we are riding on a line that travels through the process of leaving the camera (or light source) and arriving at object A and then bouncing off. etc.
If you want to explain things to artists you must do it using the visual language. 95% imagery 5% verbal. ( I find it funny that when this is done virtually anyone, withholding the blind, can understand the concept) If you want to reach out to the layman you need to make your explanations so simple that your greatgrandmother or a farmer off the field can understand the concept. You have quite a task at hand if you really want to do this well. I wish you the best of luck and let us know when you've finished your first bits.

ajk48n
10-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Perhaps you could have some examples that take pre-made utilites in Maya, and show how the math behind them works. For instance if you took the facing ratio in the sampler info node, and then showed the math that makes it work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.