PDA

View Full Version : Questions about lowpoly modelling for sale

geissinger-design
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Im currently creating a large set of low poly models for selling on turbosquid etc.

My questions are only about the mesh itself, not textures or alike:
Whats the best way to achieve high compatibility?
1. Completely closed mesh?
All mesh only out of one piece?

2. Closed mesh?
All mesh objects closed, but can be like "single objects" that partly stick into others?

3. None of the above?
Save polys on all cost, e.g. make non-transparent windows single sided faces, that stick in the frame, delete all ground and hidden polygons, ...?

Ive been recently working on a commercial project (game engine), where I first started out like described at point "1.", but this turned out to be the wrong way there, caused lots of problems during export/import, and way "2." was then the one to go.

My preference for sure would be "3.", cause this also save time during modelling and I can model more detail due to the saved polygons.

But the most important question remains, I want to sell this stuff, so I need to go the way which is likely to cause the least trouble within a wide area of usage for the models (game engines, rendering, ...).

All answers appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.