PDA

View Full Version : "I can't believe I said that"

trthing
09-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Bill Gates embraces rivals, Linux

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/09/18/microsoft.gates.ap/index.html

"...Free for all?

Mills said the companies had decided to cooperate even though the new standards also benefit rival companies and software.

"Standards are always a give-to-get bargain," he said.

The two executives said they would turn their developments over to Internet standards bodies.

Gates said the Redmond, Washington-based company's work toward Web services standards would be "royalty free." That remark led to questions from the audience, which wanted to make sure Gates hadn't misstated the deviation from the company's royalty-based software sales model. ..."

mattregnier
09-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Well at this point in his career, maybe he's ready for competition again...that would blow all our minds, see him pump a bunch of money into Linux :) just so he could have a worthy competitor. I wonder if after being on top for so long, and trampling your competition, if he misses it.

trthing
09-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Heh. That's an interesting theory of yours: I wish I could believe that it is true.

Yet, I believe that he is probably after a broader accomplishment in his life (apart from the outrageous amount of money he made). Nothing spiritual, you see, I mean he could be aiming at more complex, interrelated technologic entrepreneurships than Windows software stuff.

I guess a man in his position has a lot of drive and resources to go after his ideals than most of us.;)

Neil
09-19-2003, 05:57 PM
i can't believe you named the tread this
;)

trthing
09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Heh, I guess a market spirit suddenly came over me: but it is an actual quote from the linked article, last line... right?;)

malducin
09-19-2003, 07:30 PM
I'll believe it it when I say. Won't be holding off my breath.

What actually comes to mind is the old "extend and embrace". Not something new from M$, the old bait and switch in the industry.

Heck why can't they even document something like the Word format? It'll probably be something like Java.

gnarlycranium
09-19-2003, 10:39 PM
If you can't beat em, buy em... :hmm:

Hookflash
09-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Of course, now everyone is going to start spewing their fashionably anti-Microsoft opinions. :rolleyes:

UrbanFuturistic
09-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Except (and I know this may come as a shock to you all) me. I'm not seeing this as surprising because ol' Bill is doing this, but because he's doing it so soon. I'm generally surprised when any large company catches on to sea changes in the way business is being conducted (I mean, look at what happened to IBM!) and adapts quickly.

Of course, I'm not about to start having any warm fuzzy feelings about MS but I do see this as simply a move about adapting to the market in the same way I see IBM as using Linux as a survival tactic purely in their own self-interest... but hey, as long as it benefits me.

Mind you, the day I start trusting MS software with anything requiring security is probably the day hell freezes over :p

regards, Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.