PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 Info - Looks awesome

Jhonus
05-26-2002, 12:30 AM
mmmm.... Doom3 article and screenshots

I quite like the lighting on those shots. I was happy to read they are focusing on the atmosphere... I love games that generate an emotive atmosphere.

The new engine sounds awesome, hope its not just hype.

"Textures are no longer painted - they're now models with complete bump-mapping."

"lights are now completely dynamic, reacting with every object in the game world in an appropriate way"

"Another highlight of the demo was the physics and collision system - items reacted to surrounding events in ways we've yet to see before in any game."

And the undoubtedly best part in the entire world. Trent Reznor is expected to be doing the music and SFX! Fear and atmosphere here we come. Nobody does it better than Trent.

As Reznor was quoted, "we want to get inside your head and make it an unpleasant place to be."

http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/doom3b/index.shtml

chlywly
05-27-2002, 02:01 AM
doomIII is the craziest leap in gaming ever! you have to see the ingame movie lol from e3 :) some german dude recorded it with a cam corder it was on telefragged somewhere, INCREDIBLE!
this game looks AMAZING, every peice of skin movies, every light casts reflections, the physics engine and partilcle engines are so complex..

if you fire a rocket through smoke the smoke will swirl ! its nutty

Jhonus
05-27-2002, 02:08 AM
damn, i tried to download from somewhere but the video had been removed by request.

is there any indication of the specs required to run this game?

bentllama
05-27-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by chlywly
if you fire a rocket through smoke the smoke will swirl ! its nutty

Doom 3 is not the first game to implement this...

...there are quite a few titles on both PC and XBOX that are soon to be released that utilize "smart" particles like this...

The Magic Pen
05-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Hmm I have never seen these smart particles in action , never seen colision detection at the particle level , maybe you have some examples ...game movie links etc etc?? :hmm:

MosaFacku
06-01-2002, 01:27 AM
i think that the UT game for xbox is supposed to have particles that swirl like that.

Tad
06-02-2002, 01:34 AM
wow... a pc game with high poly modeling!? GASP!!

if it looks as good as the screenshots,
this will be one big hit.
Looks like they've got lots of leaps in technology,
nice bump/displacement mapping, and lighting.

the art style looks a bit like a bite of silent hill though,
but I can tell it will be one FUN game to play in 1st person!

j00st81
06-03-2002, 03:03 PM
I've seen the ingame movie too, it's it's just too amazing for words. The way of realism they try to achieve is breathtaking!
The way u die, for one, is unbelievable. first u fall to the floor, still seeing your hand and your gun. the monster tuns you around, picks you up, face down, and breaks u in half, resulting the inside of your body splatting on the floor. than he turns you around, looking at his awsome monterly modelled head, and bites your head off....:applause: :applause: :applause:

Joebount
06-03-2002, 03:39 PM
I got some infos about Q3 : If you want to play it, you must at least have a Geforce 1 DDR (SDR will not do the trick). The aimed platform of dev is GF 3 (and obviously XBOX). With better cards, the graphics will be nicer and the game smoother (nice one ! I only repeat what I have read)

tobalno3
06-04-2002, 11:21 PM
doom3 simply put-

BADASS!!

Vassago
06-07-2002, 05:50 PM
The models for Doom3 are actually rather low poly. The realistic look is done with bump mapping (VERY good bump mapping). If you look close enough, you can see that heads only have like 5 sides over the top, and most the polygons are in the face, for animation reasons. With a proper bump map you can make a 500 poly model look like it has 1500 ;) Even that said, the models in doom3 are excellant. My guess is that most the pm's are about 1500-2000 polygons each, even though the bump mapping makes them look like they have 5000+ :D

Haggismaximus
06-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Vassago
My guess is that most the pm's are about 1500-2000 polygons each, even though the bump mapping makes them look like they have 5000+ :D

According to the Doom Legacy video they are between 4-5k each.

tobalno3
06-07-2002, 09:15 PM
i was talking to some guys on mirc and they said (true or speculation) that everything will be calculated real-time. and if the you can't see the poly's then they aren't drawn.

say an enemy is in front a door...if the enemy walks letting the door be shown on the screen then the door is now being calculated by the engine. that goes for everything...only stuff the the player can see on his screen is being drawn and calculated..

so if you're only seeing half of a 5k model then the engine's only calculating 2500 polys..

imagine that...it would be cool if that's the way it was.

spakman
06-07-2002, 09:53 PM
The Wizards of Id sort of do their stuff like these guys b-Lo

http://www.crytek.com/polybump/index.php?sx=polybump

tobalno3
06-07-2002, 09:53 PM
ive seen that before...that's cool stuff

LFShade
06-07-2002, 10:26 PM
...ways we've yet to see before...

Sorry, I just tittered a bit when I read this in the quotes above:p

proton
06-12-2002, 04:55 PM
The guys at id are doing unbelievable models....It's also nice to see LightWave being used for all the modeling....I can't wait to play this bad boy! NewTek is running a special right now for game developers...pretty sweet deal!

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lw_gds.html

bentllama
06-12-2002, 05:24 PM
While the models in Doom 3 may look good...and they are pushing the envelope technically...I think everything else concerning the visuals of the game are rather boring.

It really isnt too appealing having black corridors and a limited palette [limited in use...probably not limited through tech].

All the footage and screenshots I have seen have been lacking something exciting. The animation seems below par and there doesn't seem to be enough variations of the characters. With the bump mapping tech they could very easily have some variation on the characters...but I still can't get past bad animation.

And a colleague of mine summed up their AI with this text:

10: IF PLAYER_IS_ALIVE
20: PATHFIND_TO PLAYER
30: KILL PLAYER
40: GOTO 10

Just my 2.5 cents...

SeanW
06-12-2002, 06:20 PM
I think its too soon to be judgeing anything right now.

spakman
06-12-2002, 06:27 PM
I somehow get the sneaking suspicion that the ID doods were primarily getting something ready to show the press (Much of which may have been juryrigged for E3), until final code and animation states become available for the final product.

If this is what they showed at E3, I can't wait for the final piece. The only thing I see about the animation is that there could be a little more offsetting. But the basic arcs look spot on to me.

:beer: to ID doods. Those catz tear it up.

toma
06-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi krugar,

you can take that video on my ftp

IP : ventouse.homeip.net
login : doomIII
pass : doomIII

Take the .zip (80 MO) --> It has a good frame rate.

The .mov (102 Mo) is the same but smaller frame rate (8 fps) but has no compression

Hope you enjoy.

toma.

jmringuet
06-19-2002, 09:50 PM
The only problem with Doom 3 is that right now it's a technology demo and not a game.

It's easy to impress when you have no restrictions.

I really don't see what kind of affordable PC could run that thing....

The Magic Pen
06-20-2002, 02:47 AM
The setting will be scaleable , but it will require a G-force 3 card minimume

iLL
06-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Now, I'm a Doom III and John Carmack fan. No doubt. He does some crazy things once in a while. But think about it - It isnt really that big of a leap. Let me give some examples about old games that uses the same features as the new doom3engine.

Fifa 98 - Motion capture and "realtime" rendered shadows. Although the shadows can't REALLY be called realtime they still were there (though only 2-directional planeshaded). But still...

Quake3 - Textures - Targafiles with alphamaps, bitmap sequences and alike put together with C-scripts. No biggy.

Lighting - Uhrm ... dunno. But the thing about the engine is ... how good would it look if it was in fullbright mode? The shadows hide alot of "unfortunate" areas and reduces alot of work on the leveldesigners. Yes ofcourse the levels are still impressive (and far more advanced than the things my team deliver) but the shadows ease up on their work alot.

Highpoly - Well ... ofcourse the models look splended and have 23478234563478456347856 trillions of polygons ... but how does the game run on a standard p3 1000mhz with gf2? (which is what most people today have to game on.).

I aknowledge the engine is great and better than anything else in the world at the moment. But people just have a tendency to make things alot bigger than they really are - and get disappointed when it didnt live up to their expectations.

id software and John Carmack rocks the world!!

// iLL

Ivars
06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
All I have to say is: The game isnīt released yet. Until then itīs too early to judge wheter itīs the best game ever, or pure crap.
Take a game like Halo for instance. If it had been released with all the intended features on the intended release date, there would have been no game near itīs visual appearence.
It was still a good looking game when it hit the shelfs, but weīve seen most of it before.
The only thing I will comment on for now, is that I donīt like the stereotype design for the characters, although it technically looks really imoressive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.