PDA

View Full Version : Particle system uses only one Core?

manservantpablo
06-20-2010, 04:06 AM
I am extremely extremely new with particle systems, and Im messing around making a cloud tunnel using Afterburn and the Particle system that Max 2010 provides... However Im hitting a wall trying to figure out why max is only using ONE core to calculate where the particles are, and update them in my viewports. Its taking extremely long to scrub in the timeline because of the amount of particles (which isnt much - simply 5000 over the course of a long tunnel.

Is there a patch or update that I can get to help my comp delegate to different cores. or do I need to upgrade to Max 2011?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

manservantpablo
06-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the quick response!

Is there some kind of 3rd party particle flow plugin I can use or something? Its terrrribly slow and Im losing motivation to continue using particles lol!

Bobo
06-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Welcome to the single-threaded world of Particle Flow.
There is nothing you can do about it, when it was developed back between 2001 and 2003, dual-CPU machines were a rarity, and developing multi-threaded code is a lot more complicated than people think. There has been some development in that area from the side of the original programmer of PFlow, but there is still not "patch" or update to change this.

Glacierise
06-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Try caching it, there is a 'cache' operator.

manservantpablo
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Ohh never noticed that. I slapped that in to see if it helps me out, thank you!

manservantpablo
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you, cache helped signifigantly!

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.