PDA

View Full Version : calibrating a laptop lcd screen with terrible blacks

Curtj5
06-20-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm struggling with my display... the blacks are pretty grey, everything looks too bright, and the screen looks very different from the slightest change of viewing angle. Anyone have any tips on calibrating an lcd monitor with a horrible black display? lol

cgbeige
06-20-2010, 04:48 AM
calibration doesn't make your display not suck - hehe. try lowering the brightness and using a hardware calibrator.

Szos
06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
...the blacks are pretty grey, everything looks too bright, and the screen looks very different from the slightest change of viewing angle...

Pardon me while I hug my CRTs.

vlad
06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Pardon me while I hug my CRTs.

Pardon while I hug my Nec 2490WUXI while you're stuck with your aging and fading CRTs that are putting hurt to your eyes. :p

Szos
06-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Pardon while I hug my Nec 2490WUXI while you're stuck with your aging and fading CRTs that are putting hurt to your eyes. :p

If by "putting hurt on your eyes," you mean offer up better image quality that only now are LCDs catching up to, then sure. Why not.
:buttrock:

cgbeige
06-20-2010, 05:54 PM

ditto. Pardon me while I hug my 2490WUXi with A-TW polarizer and shun the newer model sitting next to it. It's like LCD monitors are going backwards.

vlad
06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
If by "putting hurt on your eyes," you mean offer up better image quality that only now are LCDs catching up to, then sure. Why not.
:buttrock:

No, I mean eyestrain caused by the nature of CRT cathode screens. And I assure you, the picture quality of the Nec is pretty much on par with the 24" Sony FW900 CRT it replaced 18 months ago. A top end grade A monitor that sold for a small fortune back then. I swore by it and despised LCDs until it died and I bought the 2490. And no, I dont miss the 100 pound pachyderm that needed a chainblock to move around. ;)

cgbeige
06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
ya, I had a Lacie 22" CRT and it was nice for the time but soft as hell compared to any modern LCD.

Curtj5
06-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Hehe, it took me a while to get used to LCDs but now I don't mind them, if they are high quality, like my Viewsonic. This laptop screen is kinda ghetto though.

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2010, 04:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.