PDA

View Full Version : WIP: The Thief - Oblivion MOD Character

LexusTGreat
06-19-2010, 10:27 PM
So for my graduation project I am working on a MOD for the TES4: Oblivion game. a long story to tell exactly what it is I am researching and doing but its something with character design. So I started, well, character designing. This is actually the first time I used Zbrush and it didn't work out to bad if I say so myself. Obviously still a WIP but I guess were here on this forum for critique so critique is always welcome!

here is a turntable (this is the latest version of the model);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-LLO0O4XA

And some images;
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RdOVOvCRNnU/TBpt_3_SAMI/AAAAAAAAAUc/KH4kOjZjQc0/s1600/render_v1.jpg

LexusTGreat
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Any one some ideas on how to retopologies this badboy? Should I merge all the loose objects and retopologies the whole (inclusing the belts and pouches) or should I do everything apart?

baaah888
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Im not a character modeller so I may be wrong here, but personally I'd normal map the belts and straps into the low poly model, and make the pouches and arrow quiver as seperate models with their own normals detail.

LexusTGreat
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Owk so I've tried and tried but I can not get a decent normal map of this sculpt...does anyone has some help on how to tackle this???? It all just looks really crappy! so anyone some retopologies and unwrap tips...especialy for those nasty buckle area's... anyone?????

matsman
06-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Well... I don't really see the problem from just your model.

What have you tried and tried? Have you made sure your mapping is correct, have you tweaked your projection cages?

The main thing for low poly from high is to make sure your outlines line up. Then you have to do some decent UV mapping, no overlapping! and making sure you have optimal texture space.
When baking in for instance max or maya there is a projection cage you have to think about... making sure you have no weird angles.

Also in high poly modelling try to avoid straight corners as those can do bad things in the normal map, not having visible sides being the least of your worries.

But really show us your problem... I have to guess otherwise.
Also if you can try an eat3d dvd about creating assets... they have a sweet workflow with great results (not a character though)

good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2010, 07:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.