PDA

View Full Version : Circular Resolution On Square Geo -Maya

MrConterno
06-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Well the way I add circular resolution on an object with square geometry takes forever to do. I know there has to be an easier way lol. Currently I simply move the edges into position which just makes messy wire frames and doesn't work well.

Can anyone please share some wisdom on how to correctly add circular resolution to geometry. For instance bullet holes in a wall, or a crevice for a button on an electronic.

:facepalm: I know this question has noob all over it lol.

Nyro
06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
If I understand correctly, you're trying to model a 'circle' that is, something round with polygons, i.e. corners. This is possible, but it takes a relatively high resolution/mesh density to achieve. If you can use nurbs in this case, do it; they're less computationally intensive and model a perfect round surface/curve.

WIth polygons, simply create a hexagonal (or octogonal, depending on how exact it should be) shape.
You can use the primitives that come along with your modeling package as a basis, for example a cylinder: create a cylinder and make it have 6-10 sides (8 being the golden middle ;)). Delete the upper and lower caps, leaving you only the 'tube'. Select the the ring of edges that form one edge of the tube and extrude them outwards. This creates new polygons. Delete all except these. Now you have a flat ring of polys with 6-10 edges. Try smoothing/subdividing the mesh: depending on the amount of subdivisions, the mesh will start to resemble a perfect circle. Now you only have to incorporate this into whatever model you need.

The point here is this: you will need a low poly approximation of a circle and you will need to subdivide it to make it look like a real circle.

jaredr
06-19-2010, 08:38 PM
try this script: http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/c/regular-polygon-generator
I use this to put circular geometry in my organic models. For example, i usually need to put an eight sided circle at the center of 4 polys, so I will delete the 4 egdes inside, then run this script and reconnet the 8 edges.

MrConterno
06-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the information. Haven't had a chance to do it yet but thanks in advance. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2010, 06:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.