PDA

View Full Version : Gray... Gray... Gray...

graphix19
06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
All I get is grey... I have tried the search feature on CGSociety... Seems to be not working... I know this can be done (probably easily)

I need to render white, with a glossy reflection on it... I have a IBL node with a studio light setup, that is providing some nice reflections, but the base of the material is grey... I chose white as the color... Any help would be most helpful.. Using MIA_Material, color white, reflection .5, glossy .4, BRDF (.7, 1).

Thanks
-Bryan

TaKIKO
06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
A render would help. Is the object getting enough light?

graphix19
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Here is a render of the scene

graphix19
06-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I have a couple lights in the scene. There is another material on the top of this structure. The lights look good on that... I don't have any light linking going on. Do I need to set up a big white plane to reflect?

TaKIKO
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
What is in your ibl? Also is your weight in the material 1?

graphix19
06-18-2010, 10:18 PM
The IBL is a studio HDR setup from a Dosch Design disk of HDR images. The materials weight is 1. Here is a screenshot of my material settings.

I also have an exposure lens shader attached to camera correcting gamma.

Thanks for takin a look

wardy150
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Try turning metal material off.

razielsavage
06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
can I have your scene try to make a small situation like that and send it to me if you like
I try to make it for you if I can!

HamidKarimian@gmail.com

graphix19
06-20-2010, 12:45 AM
@wardy150 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=414664): I think the answer was the metal material, forgot about that one... Thanks for pointing that out!

graphix19
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Actually now that I see it, that still doesn't give me the effect I want.

I attached an image as an example. Bright white with subtle reflections. My material renders out gray. There has to be a way to do this with Mental Ray or even Maya Software. Image is by - Benedict Campbell... i believe

kiryha
06-22-2010, 07:16 AM
It would be much more easy task if you use color correction after render.
And if you render in float point depth image with passes you will be able to do much more tweaking :)
On the other hand, dont forget that you can set values grater than 1. For examle reflectivity can be 2, 3.5, 20 etc.

rishiinamdar
07-04-2010, 02:51 PM
All I get is grey... I have tried the search feature on CGSociety... Seems to be not working... I know this can be done (probably easily)

I need to render white, with a glossy reflection on it... I have a IBL node with a studio light setup, that is providing some nice reflections, but the base of the material is grey... I chose white as the color... Any help would be most helpful.. Using MIA_Material, color white, reflection .5, glossy .4, BRDF (.7, 1).

Thanks
-Bryan

What i have read in the mia_materials help is that its a physically accurate shader...
that is if you increase the reflection it automatically reduces the contribution from diffuse...
and increases the diffuse contribution if you reduce the reflection...
for example if the colour of your shader is red and you increase the reflection 0 deg and 90 deg to 1 then it would show the the render as black
how you could achieve the white look with high gloss is, render out the white spheres without any reflection.... then render out the same spheres with black colour and 100% reflectivity and composit it in a compositing package - ae, ps, digital fusion etc...

djx
07-05-2010, 02:54 AM
The quickest way to get from grey to white is to cheat and use the "Additional Color" in the advanced section of the mia attributes. I guess they hid it there because it completely breaks the physical correctness, but its pretty handy to be able to do that when you are an artist!

I'll often use it, where I dial in some additional color and compensate by reducing the diffuse color (or weight).

David

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2010, 02:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.