PDA

View Full Version : choosing the right camera

Eshta
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I should start by saying , I'm not a photographer. :)
When setting the camera I believe its best to choose a good film gate to match your render settings ?

So what od you use for HD render. so you can have more relaistc render.
I guess its general question.. is there any tutorials about camera for photreal Maya ?

TaKIKO
06-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Are you talking about resolution of the render or the composition of your camera? Cause neither will make you render more realistic. Or are you talking about the effects of a real camera in maya ex: exposure,DOF,grain, chromatic abberation, bloom?

Eshta
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I know DOF , bloom can be added in post with after effects
I wanted o have a good start with the render settings that match the camera Attr
for example 35 mm and so on..
But I'm listening to any ideas :)

TaKIKO
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
So your asking how to simulate the way a realworld camera works in maya?

Eshta
06-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Yes sir, and thank you

razielsavage
06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi
I did some research about cameras in maya compare to real world cameras both for still cameras and moving ones unfortunately there are lots of difference.
In maya camera is just a transform node that you can look through it and change some attributes (camera don't move correctly,perspective don't work properly,DOF if a fake effect there is no hyperfocal distance etc) but in real world , camera has its own unique and complex characteristics and they vary from camera to camera.
With knowing them in real world you can make a good picture both in live action and CG World.

any way I have some suggestion for you :
1_Learn about good composition. good composition make your picture more believable (always try to create believable images rather than realistic ones)

http://education.siggraph.org/resources/cgsource/instructional-materials/archives/courses/s96-c30

Read this paper you can find lots of valuable information in it. (its like bible for me)

2_Buy a camera and a good lens and go take some picture from a location (with out changing position) with different focal points , aperture and shutter speeds every time write the setting on paper, then compare pictures and try study them and then try to recreate that location in maya with those camera data you wrote take some render in maya and find solutions for make your renders looks like the real image with this practice your eyes and brain learn to decide about camera setting (like FP,Aperture,Shutter speed,etc) in different situation for example in a dark scenes the setting for aperture and shutter is different from a fully lit scene and every setting has its own effect ( like motion blur and DOF) on final picture (experience is the best teacher for you)

3_for finding good ways for rendering a scene in maya try to recreate a small version of that situation on your desk (with you cell,mug,books...and lit them with your desk light) then take some pictures with this you can find correct perspective,aperture ... and then make your render looks more BELIEVABLE .

4_for moving cameras in maya don't animate camera ,try to find some tripod plugins or if you have Mel skills study real tripods and write something for your self and then animate that tripod it has subtle effect but it make your camera movement more believable.
we wrote a tripod for our projects its not final but if you want I can email it for you.

HamidKarimian@gmail.com

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.