PDA

View Full Version : Clavicle-Shoulder semi-automated

brueghel
06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I have built a rig and try to find a simple solution: most time I dont want to animate the clavicle by hand, and rather would have 20-30 % of the rotation of the shoulder applied to the clavicle. But want to remain the ability to switch it off and animate the clavicle by hand. Any suggestion, perhaps expressions? I will first try the multiply-divide node and may be other nodes.

Dustin
06-19-2010, 03:57 PM
If you want to use nodes, you could:
1. Connect your shoulder rotation to a multiply/divide node to give the clavicle a percentage of the shoulder rotation.
2. Connect the multiply/divide to a clamp node to limit how much rotation the clavicle takes from the shoulder
3. Connect the output of the clamp to one of the color channels of a Blend Colors node, and set the other colour to black (0,0,0)
4. Add a custom float attribute to your clavicle control, with a min/max of 0-1 or 0-10 or whatever you prefer, then connect that attribute to the Blender in the Blend Colors node.
5. Create a parent for your clavicle controller (eg. a group or locator) and make sure the pivot point of the parent is aligned to the clavicle.
6. Connect the output of the Blend Colors to the rotation of the clavicle parent. This way you can still freely rotate the clavicle control because all the connections for the auto clavicle are on its parent node.

This is one way to set it up, and I am sure there are others, play with it and find what works best for you.

brueghel
06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Thank you, the simple solution was No 5.
"Create a parent for your clavicle controller...."
I did it similar but I used a condition node too, because I wanted the shoulder in the lower part to move less as in the upper Part (when arm is raised more than 90 degree).

But I wasnt satisfied because he couldn raise the shoulder without moving the whole arm, so I created an additional Ik from clavicle to shoulder, and parented it under under an control and then under the shoulder control. Not sure about that, but it works.

Dustin
06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, the condition can be used the same as a clamp, and the IK solution isn't a bad way to go either. There's so many different ways to tackle something like that, glad you found something that works!

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.