PDA

View Full Version : Natural film response reproduction?

Ekenryd
06-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello,

As you may know, one canīt save images in HDR when using the effect "natural film response". However, I really like the way it make my skies look so I was wondering if there is a way to reproduce that effect in photoshop, or any other way for that matter. Or if there is some info somewhere on what exacly that effect does, so that I can try and rebuild it on my own.

Thanks for answers.

AFalk
06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Honestly I don't know but now that you emntion it, I'd really like the details on it as well!

nPellegrino
06-20-2010, 06:35 AM
I think it takes the highest and lowest points of exposure from the 32bit image and applies them to the 8 - 16 bit outputs that have color peaks. It smooths out the high levels of contrast to balance lower bit depth images.

Vue shouldn't prevent you from saving with the post effect, it does warn you that you shouldn't, but if you select no it should apply to the 32bit image. The main thing is, you really wouldn't want to.

I'd suggest creating a couple of gamma correction layers on the render, then masking them with the exr ZDepth at the points of highest peaking.

Mike.H
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
yeah like the poster above me said, you never should save a hdri render from vue (or anyother app)with any of the postwork options enabled.

Save the hdri with as much range and data as possible and then in post apply whatever you need to get the look you want. In this case, adjusting gamma and color range until you have the desired look.

Makes for a pretty quick post workflow, make a preset and apply the preset in your bitmap app of choice or nle depending on it being a still or video and still leaves you with the source intact.

Sure it can be nice having vue or your real life camera applying stuff, but itīs a pretty "stupid" thing to do to be honest. Such things should always be done in post so you can work with a copy/subclip and preserve the original.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.