PDA

View Full Version : Ati Radeon WOES

Sublime_1
09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Hello al this is my system specs..

Winxp pro
p4 2.4
Ati radeon 9500 pro*(all drivers current)
ati radeon 9200*(all drivers current)
(both w/ 12mb ram)
Msi agp 8x mobo (all drivers current)
Dual 19" monitors

This is my problem. I originally had the radeon 9500 pro. I enabled dual display, however i had NO 3d acceleration on the second monitor! 2d apps ran fine but nothing 3d would work.. all i would get is a corrupted view or a black screen.
After calling Ati and plaguing the net and Mirc, i still had no soultion to this. soem said it was a windows issue others said it was an ati issues becuase dual view works perfectly o nNvidia 3d cards.
I finally decided to get a second ati card, surely this would help.
i bought a radeon 9200 PCI with 28mb ram.
now i am geting like 5 fps on my secondary display, it doesnt what game or app i am running everything always runs at 5 fps. I do not know what else to do..
Am i need a driver hack or something? all i need is to have decent 3d perforamce on both my monitors. someone please help me.

imashination
09-19-2003, 02:36 PM
You rarely get opengl / directx accelerated viewports on consumer cards for dual screens, or if you do, it will only be below a certain resolution. A PCI gfx card will be dog slow regardless.

jbw
09-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Surely this isn't what you want to here but it's Ati's fault - how can it be a windows fault if Nvidia can get it to work. If I was you I'd flog them both on ebay or something and get yourself a Ti4200 or similar. I run one at work and OpenGL works fine on both monitors. :hmm:

ta,
jbw

CgFX
09-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by imashination
You rarely get opengl / directx accelerated viewports on consumer cards for dual screens, or if you do, it will only be below a certain resolution. A PCI gfx card will be dog slow regardless.

It does work on NVIDIA's GeForce cards.

Sublime_1
09-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Dear lord no :(. so $390 in the hole and no solution?!

mark_wilkins
09-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Can you still return the cards? If you spend about $550 and pick up a FireGL X1 you shouldn't have these problems...

-- Mark

Sublime_1
09-20-2003, 05:57 AM
Dont think i can, its been over a month. cant believe noone told me about this Open GL problem with Ati cards before i invested, i EVEn called ATI tech support and those IDIOTS suggested gettign more drivers, changing os and they NEVER ONCE mentioned that their cards DO NOT support Opengl on dual displays!!

Sublime_1
09-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Guys i really dont get this. I mena Ok Ati doesnt support opengl on dual displays, lets say thats a hardware limitation. I am however running two separate graphics cards. one in my agp slot one in my pci slot. why is it that i am still getting subpar 3d acceleration on my second monitor? i am sure someone has had a similar issues before.

ZrO-1
09-21-2003, 05:04 AM
Here's why you're still getting subpar 3d acceleration on your second monitor:

It is a PCI card
The PCI bus is much-much slower than the AGP bus....for lots of reasons.
1) it runs at a lower clock-rate
2) it moves less data per clock cycle
3) it shares CPU interupt requests among all the devices on the bus
4) it does not have direct access to main memory

You will never get equal performance from two cards when one is on PCI and the other is on AGP. Not to mention the fact that the 9200 is a lower-performing card than the 9500 to begin with...even if they were on the same bus.

onscreen
09-21-2003, 10:33 AM
this is real weird. Usually nVidia do run opengl stuff on the second monitor. Sometimes it maybe the OS limitation and sometimes it is the hardware limitation. Who knows? hhmm.. i used to run dual monitor on nVidia cards and have the softimage 3D spanned on both screen. And right now i am running lightwave on dual screen... on a ATI 9000 pro

cg_fan_2003
09-21-2003, 02:37 PM
can we all say 1 - 2 - 3 "you have an illegal version of windows". thats my guess. most likely considering the price of it.

onscreen
09-21-2003, 03:56 PM
cg_fan_2003

no no, that dont really effect the hardware. illegal windows is like original windows... minus the serial. So what i suspect most on is the hardware side.

:p

Sublime_1
09-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Cg_fan i really DO NOT APPRECIATE you implying that i have an illegal version of windows. where in my post did i give the $$ for my OS?! my windows is fully legal even tho i got it directly from the M$ store so it was a bit cheaper that retail, actually a LOT cheaper. but like someone said in response even if it was illegal i dont think there would be any limitations, anyways that is not my issue i am sure.

ggg
09-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Sublime_1
cant believe noone told me about this Open GL problem with Ati cards before i invested

CgFX
09-22-2003, 03:29 AM
It is likely an ATI driver limitation under Windows.

Windows creates "display devices" and it sounds like ATI only supports OpenGL HW aceleration on the Windows "Primary" display device. This could mean the first monitor on a dual monitor card or it could mean the first card in a multi-card system.

However, I don't know much about ATI's driver woes.

Sublime_1
09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Ok guys this is weird. I performed the SoftFireGl mod on my radeon 9500 pro and i was able to get full opengl acceleration on both monitors in Max5!!! i was getting about 60Fps while rotating around a 5000 poly model. This led me to believe that maybe why i cant get ful l3d with both my cards is a driver issuse> becuase once i run the catalyst installer windows shares the drivers for both cards! is there a way for me to have separate instalation location for each card? or is there a way for me to run different version fo the catalyst driver for each card? thanks all.

CgFX
09-22-2003, 07:54 PM
The problem for ATI is that it is not really the same driver. They are trying to end up with a unified driver but they don't have one yet and until they do something in the hardware or get on the same GPU family for everything, they won't.

In other words, while Catalyst pretends well, there is actually a separate driver/dll for those two cards you have.

The rub is that Windows' OpenGL does not dynamically support more than one driver under it. This is why you can start an app on a 3dlabs card and then move it onto an NVIDIA card in the system. The window will move over thanks to GDI/Win32 but you loose OpenGL.

To test if this is what you are running into start the app on the second monitor, don't drag it to it. You should have OGL aceleration on the monitor+card the app starts on but not the monitor+card you drag it over to.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.