PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on pillar detail.

Grums
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to go about modelling the detail in this pillar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2401419260_c89e14bdf4_o.jpg

Is it best to model it all in max, or would it be better created in Zbrush? If in Max, would it be best to block it out with a plane, or use a spline instead? Or just not bother with Max and sculpt it in zbrush. Sorry if its a silly question, its just confusing me a little on how to go about this. Havent used Zbrush before either. Going to start learning it today!

Thanks.

Autarkis
06-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Well it all depends, do you want clean topology or just a block that's been sculpted to death? If you're just learning zbrush (starting today) you might get it done a LOT faster directly in max with splines and poly work.

Grums
06-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Autarkis,

Yeah, I want a fairly clean topology as it will help when baking the normal map. I started going through the zbrush tutorials earlier, did up to the vase creation on the zbrush site. I reckon it would be alot easier for me to make it in max, I definitley dont have the zbrush knowledge or skills to sculpt something like that.

Once I make it in max though, I'll bring it into zbrush and add some cracks etc, shouldnt be to hard. Its trying to create the flow of the shape with a clean topologly for it in max. Thats the bit im trying to figure out now.

Thanks again for the reply.

Autarkis
06-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Yep. Creating it with clean quad topology in max will be a lot simpler. Plus you can just duplicate those leaves and position them around your top pillar with a nice ffd modifier. Good luck with that and zbrush!

Grums
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey,

Thanks again for the quick reply, and the tip about the ffd modifier.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.