PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

RustyGuy123
06-17-2010, 01:10 AM
SO! Here's the scoop; I recently graduated from a 3D Animation program and am just starting out with networking and all that jazz.

Is siggraph the kind of place where I might be able to meet some interesting people and learn some new things?

I noticed they have a Vancouver Chapter. Again; is this the sort of thing I should consider joining? Would they be able to help me start my career in this oh-so-competitive job market?

Right! That's enough questions for now, haha; thanks for your time :thumbsup:

malducin
06-17-2010, 01:03 PM
SO! Here's the scoop; I recently graduated from a 3D Animation program and am just starting out with networking and all that jazz. Is siggraph the kind of place where I might be able to meet some interesting people and learn some new things?

Yes and yes. SIGGRAPH presents lots of networking opportunities. You can learn a lot depending on your focus: the latest research, training from major software developers, behind the scenes looks at projects, etc.

I noticed they have a Vancouver Chapter. Again; is this the sort of thing I should consider joining? Would they be able to help me start my career in this oh-so-competitive job market?

Yes, you never know who you will meet. Many chapters have meet and networking sessions after their presentations, etc.

vagueblur
06-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Figured I'd glom onto this thread. I'm also a first timer animation student (still in school, though) heading to the party.

Now odd question. I'm meeting my recently-graduated classical-musician brother in LA while I'm there because we never see eachother. Would he be well-served to get a day pass and meet-n-greet? Would it be a waste of his non-existent cash or a good chance to pick up some work?

malducin
06-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Figured I'd glom onto this thread. I'm also a first timer animation student (still in school, though) heading to the party.

Now odd question. I'm meeting my recently-graduated classical-musician brother in LA while I'm there because we never see eachother. Would he be well-served to get a day pass and meet-n-greet? Would it be a waste of his non-existent cash or a good chance to pick up some work?

You only need a pass to access the different events. If you just want to hang around the aisles, no pass needed. If he's into CG, maybe a one day CAF pass might be more than enough for him. For the exhibition floor only you might even be able to get one for free from a software vendor.

There are also some events that happen around SIGGRAPH that are free, in particular the vendor parties. Be sure to check the thread around here. Houdini party is already scheduled.

MBaker
07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Where are the best spots to network? It's going to be my first time going and I'm hoping to meet some of my favorite artists.

malducin
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Where are the best spots to network? It's going to be my first time going and I'm hoping to meet some of my favorite artists.

Every place is a good place to network, though it depends on your interest area and purpose. If looking for a job the 3 best places are the Job Fair, the Exhibition Floor and the user group meetings. BOFs are also good places to network as well.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.