PDA

View Full Version : Softimage 2011 SP1 is available

xsisupport
06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Get it here:
autodesk.com/softimage2011-sp1 (http://autodesk.com/softimage2011-sp1)

130 Fixes. See the Readme for the complete list.

Gabba
06-17-2010, 05:43 PM
So, not yet the "min/max" sampling for area light? I reported this as a bug (not working feature)... too bad! Hope that they forgot to mention it in the bug fixes...

Cenda
06-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I reported some bugs too, and in SP1 are still there :banghead:

ace63
06-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Well they fixed quite a lot of bugs - the more often one bug gets reported the higher the fix priority becomes, so keep reporting everything you find^^

adrencg
06-21-2010, 02:11 AM
This will work fine until they release Softimage 2012 in a few months, then mess everything up again.

Cenda
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
It looks that SP1 has new bug, it deleted all my override parameters :argh:

SLiTHER
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
hmmm don't you just love Atuodesk :) that's what happens when your turn a creative business into a McDonald business model :)

im sorry for what your going through guys, im just glad i didn't renew my maintenance contract, couldn't take it anymore from them, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Cheers

Hirazi
06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Autodesk bashing won't help anyone IMHO
Sure, Autodesk is primarily "in it for the money",
but so was Avid and so was Softimage. (That's capitalism 101, BTW)
And not every decision Autodesk made since the takeover has seemed equally wise, but let's face it:
I shudder to think what would have happened to Softimage, if someone else bought it
or worse still, if nobody did...
:thumbsup:

adrencg
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
And not every decision Autodesk made since the takeover has seemed equally wise, but let's face it:
I shudder to think what would have happened to Softimage, if someone else bought it

It's great that someone bought it, but a release every year is too ambitious, and just tends to screw everything up. Wouldn't it be better to have a good stable release for a couple of years?

Having an annual version can net Autodesk more money immediately, but they might end up losing people over the long run because the software will never be in solid place for more than a few fleeting months -- if at all.

Hirazi
06-22-2010, 08:11 PM
As far as I can recall (ever since 4.2 when I started out) the one-year release cycle was mostly upheld by Softimage also, so no real change there.

SLiTHER
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Your right Hirazi, bashing Autodesk is out of context and doesn't help solve anything, i apologize for hijacking this thread.

Letterbox
06-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Adrencg here is an alternative point of view;

Consider SI 2011 arrived on 8-04-10, sp1 arrived 16-06-10, thats 70 days.

Now, if 130 bugs can be removed in 70 days then; why not a new update each month with 15 bugs removed?

Now would you complain at 15 bugs removed every month?

Wouldn't that say to you'd actually "see" that it's in continious development, rather than possibly stagnated if every 2 years?
Wouldn't that solve above problems of area lights possibly quicker?
Wouldn't that solve above problems of the deletion of overrides?
Wouldn't that be better for productions or indivuduals needing fixes soonest to progress work?
Wouldn't it make the product better in the end?
Wouldn't it make you have more faith in the product?
Wouldn't it make it the envy of other applications?
Wouldn't you feel you were getting real value for money for your subscription/maintainence?
Wouldn't ...

As I said an alternative point of view.

WillBellJr
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Does it fix the license manager??

I called the last time and went though the process to (finally) get the 2010 licensing to work on my desktop - guess what, 2011 comes along, this time I perform the same steps (including providing the correct MAC address) and retrieving the license file from the website and guess what?

2011 doesn't work on my system.

This time, the License tool hangs when I select the license file generated by the website - back to opening up another support ticket...

I am so through with this software - I pity the (bright sunny) day in Sept when I let my maintenance go, considering I do somewhat like the package, even though it annoys me like NO OTHER software package ever has.

But typically my use of this package is; download the "new" version, attempt to license - FAILS. Run the trial, 60-90 days go by, trial being expired, I eventually get around to contacting Autodesk, rinse and repeat.

This process has YET to be broken since I upgraded from v5 FND to v6ESS!

I'd probably even use the package more if it worked after I install it!

Pitiful shame I can't sell it to someone that could really use the extra seat.

-Will

xsisupport
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Does it fix the license manager??

I called the last time and went though the process to (finally) get the 2010 licensing to work on my desktop - guess what, 2011 comes along, this time I perform the same steps (including providing the correct MAC address) and retrieving the license file from the website and guess what?

2011 doesn't work on my system.

This time, the License tool hangs when I select the license file generated by the website - back to opening up another support ticket...

I am so through with this software - I pity the (bright sunny) day in Sept when I let my maintenance go, considering I do somewhat like the package, even though it annoys me like NO OTHER software package ever has.

But typically my use of this package is; download the "new" version, attempt to license - FAILS. Run the trial, 60-90 days go by, trial being expired, I eventually get around to contacting Autodesk, rinse and repeat.

This process has YET to be broken since I upgraded from v5 FND to v6ESS!

I'd probably even use the package more if it worked after I install it!

Pitiful shame I can't sell it to someone that could really use the extra seat.

-Will

The License Manager was upgraded to 11.7.
You can install the latest license tools from the Setup: choose Install Tools and Utilities.

Check that your license file has the computer name and Ethernet address listed on the System Settings tab of LMTOOLS.

Also, compare your old license with the new license, to make sure the license was not messed up when it was downloaded (eg missing all line breaks, or formatted as HTML).

Burritoh
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
2011 is just messed up. I'm sure the devs are great people and all, and I don't want them to take anything personally, but we have lost hours and hours of work due to crashes and bugs. Stuff that used to be rock solid is now flaky as old mud. Is this what we paid so much money to upgrade to? Shader tree nodes randomly get deleted? Texture nodes getting stripped?

Can we revert and ask for a refund? ICE and FaceRobot are not worth the loss of productivity we've experienced over the last two weeks.

xsisupport
07-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Did you download SP1? http://autodesk.com/softimage2011-sp1 ?

Do you have any repro steps or scenes for these problems? Can you log a support request so we can investigate?

If you are on Subscription, you have previous version usage rights for 2010, 7.5, and 7.01. A 2011 network license will allow you to run 2010 or 7.5. For 7.01 you have request an SPM license from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13621063&siteID=123112.

To go back to a version without ICE, you would have to go back to XSI 6.5.

Burritoh
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
We a sent a scene to AD yesterday for examination.

The problems were with scenes created before SP1. The installation of SP1 has at least halted the downward spiral we were taking, in that no new problems are being created. But scenes created before that are unreliable. Here's hoping that new scenes created from here on will be stable.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.